The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

It's Autumn !

lapford34102

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

The smell of the fallen leaves in the woodland alone is a thing almost magical.

Reminds me of Cross Country runs in the woods at school a long time ago!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Welly said:

Reminds me of Cross Country runs in the woods at school a long time ago!

I always felt the best way to do a cross-country run at my school was to take the shortcut through a tunnel, have a rest and wait for around 2/3rds of the field to pass me before joining towards the rear. I was never in the race to the line, never picked to represent the school and never chastised for coming last - athletics was never my thing and I got to enjoy the countryside rather than work up a sweat.

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 01/09/2019 at 13:31, tigerburnie said:

It's still trying to be an Indian summer up here, dry and sunny if not exactly sweaty

That's why the railway was closed from Inverness to Aviemore due to flooding?:jester:

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, melmerby said:

That's why the railway was closed from Inverness to Aviemore due to flooding?:jester:

Geography, sir.  Like me, Tigerburnie has the good fortune to live in Angus, one of the sunniest and driest counties in Scotland.  Inverness and Aviemore do not have these advantages.

DT

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Aah,  yes, Autumn. That magical time when the leaves begin to fall, and Easter eggs in the supermarkets.

The summer clothes will be in soon, so if you want some winter woolies hurry because they will soon be displaced!:)

• Like 1

On 01/09/2019 at 21:32, Kingzance said:

I always felt the best way to do a cross-country run at my school was to take the shortcut through a tunnel, have a rest and wait for around 2/3rds of the field to pass me before joining towards the rear. I was never in the race to the line, never picked to represent the school and never chastised for coming last - athletics was never my thing and I got to enjoy the countryside rather than work up a sweat.

Our school cross-country route involved passing my nan's house twice; I used to stop for a brew on the first lap, having noted who the 'tail-end Charlies' were, then insinuate myself in with them when they passed a second time. I had to make certain where I rejoined, to avoid getting dragooned into a school team.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

We had three routes for different age groups. When doing the junior circuit it went through a wood then a circuit of footpaths on farms before passing the same wood on the other side then back to school. The games teacher was a bit suspicious that some of us came back too fresh and clean so whilst we were in the wood one afternoon he drove to point where the course crossed the road between two farms. He counted 35 starters, 35 finishers but only 32 at the crossing point.

Later, in 1963 the Rugby pitches were ice-bound so the teacher said cross country kit. By then we were on the intermediate route which did a detour from the farms up to a local landmark called Frankley Beeches, a clip of trees on a hilltop visible for miles. When we got to the stile at the top it was nowhere to be seen, hedges having been buried in several feet of frozen drifted snow.

• Like 4

On 01/09/2019 at 21:57, God's Wonderful Railway 1835 said:

Sorry they have still got it wrong as it starts on the equinoxes which is normally about the 21st September and the date of the 1st September was started in countries who wanted to have a fixed date.   

The Met Office have a fixed date simply for recording purposes. They are not trying to supersede the earth's orbit. It makes sense, if weather records are kept on a monthly basis, to divide the year into four sets of three months and just add the figures together. 

Therefore as far as the weather is concerned Sep,Oct.Nov is Autumn; and the rest of the meteorological seasons follow in three monthly blocks. 

• Agree 1