Dapol 00 water tank

tomparryharry

• RMweb Gold

I've just noticed that Hattons have (on pre-order) a 00 scale water tank from Dapol. That's fine, but the listing says 'motorised'. A water tank, motorised?Am I seeing this right? I've always been taught that water & electrics don't mix, so hats off to Dapol for motorising it. 

Now, plumbing, and getting water down the leather hose, and the working level float.... 

Maybe it was an embarrassment to them.

There’s waters spilling all over the place
Quick mate! - Let go of that chain!
Blimey it’s overflowing. Look out!
Blooming trainees. Too slow. Too slow!
I should have worn me blessed wellies!
I said for you to keep an eye on it

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

As @D1051 says, we've been here before.

I'm going to say I like the look of this one. It's FUN. I bet there will be loads of people buying one to stick on the layout for a laugh - and sometimes the hobby can just be about fun. 

And yes, I do own a train of Tri-and Giraffe cars and most of the Battlespace Range. If I could get the Airfix working Wild West or Dr X sets at a sensible price, I'd bag those too. But then I'm not a "proper" modeller...

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I gather this is an attempt at a DCC water tank that can swing the bag over the loco's tank or tender filler cap, and presumably has audio commentary from the driver and fireman.  Given some of the exchanges that I remember from this operation being carried out in reality, I'd say that this is a risky venture for a family audience...

DCC sound is progressing, but the soundtrack in my head is still better, and much more adaptable!

While we're in the confessional, my distant past also includes Triang's operating mail coaches and the helicoptor car.  Kids terday, don' know they're born...

Another one was a Bloodhound ground to air missile, Dinky IIRC, which was pretty hefty and proper dangerous in a living room; it had a soft rubber nose but could knock vases off mantlepieces.  Had the Airfix kit one as well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/09/2019 at 16:09, The Johnster said:

I gather this is an attempt at a DCC water tank that can swing the bag over the loco's tank or tender filler cap, and presumably has audio commentary from the driver and fireman.  Given some of the exchanges that I remember from this operation being carried out in reality, I'd say that this is a risky venture for a family audience...

DCC sound is progressing, but the soundtrack in my head is still better, and much more adaptable!

While we're in the confessional, my distant past also includes Triang's operating mail coaches and the helicoptor car.  Kids terday, don' know they're born...

Another one was a Bloodhound ground to air missile, Dinky IIRC, which was pretty hefty and proper dangerous in a living room; it had a soft rubber nose but could knock vases off mantlepieces.  Had the Airfix kit one as well.

I'm sorry for sounding dour; it's my fault entirely. Fun? Absolutely. Whereas we definitely need fun, interactive subjects to grab peoples attention, I sometimes look at something and think "how did they make that, and why?" I will defend anyone's right to FUN (quite right, Mr. Parker), I will sometimes look at the water tank, and also think "what does it take to make it work?" Then, there's the social interaction that goes into the water column or tank. A bit like a office water cooler social situation of yesteryear.  The subjects would be Spads, dropping in the dirt; SOS (short of steam); clinker; the girl with the big boobs in the canteen, all mixed up with highly colourful language, with most expletives deleted. When I see a model like this, of any gauge, I'm thrown back to a lot of places where this sort of social interaction did take place, and not all that long ago. 

Yes, I'm sorry. I'm in that awkward age where I remember feet & inches, pre-decimal currency, and jumpers for goalposts. The one thing I never had in my trainset collection was Battlespace. One of my mates had the propeller-driven car. Was it really that fast? I remember it'd go like the clappers. 

Now, if we're going for operating water tank arms, then we'd need opening tank fillers, either tender or sidetank options. 

I'd really like to see a working water trough...... and scale water....