Bourton on the Water

Baggies1961

On 12/11/2020 at 01:38, Baggies1961 said:

Good to see some new Class 60’s on the way, well over due and glad as I was about to get my EWS one resprayed.

I was considering whether to get an EWS one, but they haven’t announced one, so I’ll have to wait as it’s not a need to have

10 hours ago, Baggies1961 said:

An impulse bargain buy from ebay for the diorama. It has a zimo sound chip but bizarrely an 04 sound. Bit quiet but ok.

Anyone else have an 05?

I will weather it in time.

image.jpg

I keep looking at Rails as they still have some for £175 (-20% for being in Australia) but haven’t pressed the pay now button

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Yes I gave it some thought - in fact I think they have a plain green one for £159 but I am not sure I want another shunting loco. 05's did work the Maldon and Tollesbury lines so were local to my layout but they were phase one machines whereas the Heljan model is phase 2 and the cabs were different.

I've got 2 08's and an 04 and several steam kits to build so I am resisting

Paul R

• Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, Baggies1961 said:

Wish I had your will power! Came with sound so my pay button was pressed. Only now got to work out how to turn the lights on... I do hope they work...

I was originally going to get the yellow one but it sold out.....then the early green one as it had the red rods and better wasp stripes, but I do have 4 73’s to save up for

• RMweb Premium

The cheap 05 is tempting, turning an 03 onto an 04 appeals, I see Coinnoisseur do a Ruston 0-4-0, I have always liked the terrier in brown, then I think a top feed 14xx or the riveted 57xx variation.

But at the end of the day £150 buys a lot of jaffa cakes...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I've a feeling Hattons / Dapol might beat them to it, and my Guess would be at Sub £500.:dancer:

I would put money on Dapol doing a 68 if the 66 proves successful.

There is a view that modellers tend to model what they remember in  their earlier years although this doesn't hold true for everyone. I think this is why the earlier diesels are doing so well.  The new batch of class 31's seems sold out in most of the major retailers. The 66 is a master stroke as there are so many different liveries so should sell well and encourage younger modellers to the scale and the price for an analogue model seems very competitive for the size of the prototype.

If the KMS Railtech HST comes off I do hope they get Dapol to model it as the cost will be so much cheaper than Heljan.

Also has anyone factored in a no deal Brexit and the possibility of tariffs being applied to model railway products.  Heljan need to import to the UK direct rather than through Denmark or a second set of tariffs could get applied.

Paul R

• Informative/Useful 2

20 hours ago, pwr said:

I would put money on Dapol doing a 68 if the 66 proves successful.

There is a view that modellers tend to model what they remember in  their earlier years although this doesn't hold true for everyone. I think this is why the earlier diesels are doing so well.  The new batch of class 31's seems sold out in most of the major retailers. The 66 is a master stroke as there are so many different liveries so should sell well and encourage younger modellers to the scale and the price for an analogue model seems very competitive for the size of the prototype.

If the KMS Railtech HST comes off I do hope they get Dapol to model it as the cost will be so much cheaper than Heljan.

Also has anyone factored in a no deal Brexit and the possibility of tariffs being applied to model railway products.  Heljan need to import to the UK direct rather than through Denmark or a second set of tariffs could get applied.

Paul R

With regarding to your observation that we model what we remember in our earlier years the glaring missing Loco in the 0 gauge RTR range is the Class 24 . I know that JLTRT did it in kit form and that the new owners are going to produce it but at a price of around £600 plus motor and wheels etc plus of course sound clipping so Heljan should the able to do a RTR version for around the cost of a basic kit. I do wish Suttons Locomotive Works would move into the 0 gauge market imagine the detail they could produce :victory:

2 hours ago, gismorail said:

With regarding to your observation that we model what we remember in our earlier years the glaring missing Loco in the 0 gauge RTR range is the Class 24 . I know that JLTRT did it in kit form and that the new owners are going to produce it but at a price of around £600 plus motor and wheels etc plus of course sound clipping so Heljan should the able to do a RTR version for around the cost of a basic kit. I do wish Suttons Locomotive Works would move into the 0 gauge market imagine the detail they could produce :victory:

Yes you are so right. I would certainly have one as they worked in East Anglia at the start of their lives. I didn't go for a 25 as not one of my favourites but recently thought about a 25/1 only to find they are as rare as hens teeth!

£600 for a diesel kit plus wheels and motor seems a tad high. 

Paul R

Regarding the 25/1 that took a hammerimg in the media but still sold out pdq! I had one but sold it on to a RM Web fellow modeller.

I have two 25/3s as they are one of my favourites.

Dapol should upscale the 68 would make perfect business sense to.

The same could be said for the new Class 69 as I am sure the 56 will be a huge hit.

Surprised its took this long for Class 66 to be announced.

Heljan hopefully will consider producing a Class 45/1 the last 45s sold well and it took decades until the oo market is going to ve satisfied as for years Bachmann were not interested.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, pwr said:

Yes you are so right. I would certainly have one as they worked in East Anglia at the start of their lives. I didn't go for a 25 as not one of my favourites but recently thought about a 25/1 only to find they are as rare as hens teeth!

£600 for a diesel kit plus wheels and motor seems a tad high. 

Paul R

The original JLTRT kits were all about 499.00 for the basic kit but under the new owner they are about £100  more perhaps explains why the original company failed