Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

On 09/03/2021 at 12:08, Rockalaucher101 said:

I have another project on the go, an extended hymek on a Hornby deltic  chassis.

23 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I thought everyone had one.

Out of interest, do either of you have an idea of what the 'real' one would be used for?

7 minutes ago, DK123GWR said:

Out of interest, do either of you have an idea of what the 'real' one would be used for?

Not sure. I kind of see mine as a one off prototype used on express passenger duties, hydraulic transmission n all that.

Thinking it was preserved as a piece of engineering history like GT3 and the Fell, which will be joining my fleet of odd loco's soon

• Like 3

I'd imagine a double-Mek would equate to a Western?   Maybe a move to standardize on a powertrain for the WR?   If I remember correctly, the Hymeks were about the best of the hydraulics from the outset.   

I may be biased on that last point, though.   Bear was always a favorite of mine in the Railway Series.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

I'd imagine a double-Mek would equate to a Western?   Maybe a move to standardize on a powertrain for the WR?   If I remember correctly, the Hymeks were about the best of the hydraulics from the outset.   

A bit more, in fact. As a unique, diesel-hydraulic, equivalent to a Deltic, it would probably have been immensely popular with enthusiasts, regardless of how well it performed!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Maybach made a proposal to the BRB in February of 1963 for a 4000hp twin engined design, using the MD870 engines set at the higher UIC rating. Externally it would have been identical to the Western though the internal arrangement would have been tighter with bigger engines and radiators. Projected weight 120 tons. A diagram appears in Diesel-Hydraulic Locomtives of the Western Region by Brian Reed.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

4 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

Maybach made a proposal to the BRB in February of 1963 for a 4000hp twin engined design, using the MD870 engines set at the higher UIC rating. Externally it would have been identical to the Western though the internal arrangement would have been tighter with bigger engines and radiators. Projected weight 120 tons. A diagram appears in Diesel-Hydraulic Locomtives of the Western Region by Brian Reed.

See now that's just further justification for the twin mek (Although I think Mega-Mek sounds cool)

Just imagine if a prototype had been made!

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

Random thought. Given they'd already used 'Western' prefixed names maybe the more powerful version could be given 'Great' prefixes: Great Western, Great Britain, Great Idea, etc. ;)

I like that, because if you use the prefix of great you could also have one named after an area served by the western region... Great Malvern!

This could also open up the idea of naming them after places of note within the Western Region.

• Great Malvern
  • Coventry Cathedral
  • Gower Peninsula
  • Cheddar Gorge

There are a lot of options.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

Would that be a Mek-pack?

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

3 hours ago, Rockalaucher101 said:

I did also make this, using the leftover cabs after I had cut the bodies for the extended hymek.

Due to be painted in Railfreight Red Stripe. Again apologies for the image quality.

20210310_181534.jpg.65111d3cdbe690861922983fda2868d3.jpg20210310_181520(1).jpg.e8f6878bfeeb86ca53aa1b5bed147ebd.jpg

Nice toy-like mainline diesel!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/03/2021 at 14:15, Rockalaucher101 said:

Now that'd take some doin to build. Maybe if I find a spare/repair west country and lord nelson I'd consider it.

Cutting up models that are perfectly fine never sat well with me...

Dapol Battle of Britain as a swap body job?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, LNWR18901910 said:

Nice toy-like mainline diesel!

Glad you like it. It's probably one of my favourite 'why the hell not' projects. Seeing as I had a spare 66 bogie that I bought to try n fix a Hornby deltic kicking around, it was just a case of mating the two together.

Had to modify a spare set of wheels so that I could omit the traction tyres otherwise it just wasn't going to work.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Rockalaucher101 said:

Are the proportions close enough that I could use that? I've never built one of those kits

Don’t know as obviously it would need chopping around from 4–6-2 to 4-6-0 and two kits to extend the tender.  That said the OP for this is a photoshopped M Navy image.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rockalaucher101 said:

Glad you like it. It's probably one of my favourite 'why the hell not' projects. Seeing as I had a spare 66 bogie that I bought to try n fix a Hornby deltic kicking around, it was just a case of mating the two together.

Had to modify a spare set of wheels so that I could omit the traction tyres otherwise it just wasn't going to work.

I do hope it runs well! In fact, you could make a simplifed micro layout with simplified versions fo real-life locomotives. I know I am.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, john new said:

Don’t know as obviously it would need chopping around from 4–6-2 to 4-6-0 and two kits to extend the tender.  That said the OP for this is a photoshopped M Navy image.

Might be worth using a Bachmann Lord Nelson, they're certainly cheap enough. Also you could probablty get away with only getting one kit and splicing in some plasticard. I feel like using the Bachmann tender chassis would help preserve some of the lord characteristics...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LNWR18901910 said:

I do hope it runs well! In fact, you could make a simplifed micro layout with simplified versions fo real-life locomotives. I know I am.

Like shrinking down a Jinty and plonking it on a Bachmann thomas/junior chassis. Now there's an idea...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

Wow, you learn something new every day. At least now I know what a jinty with outside cylinders would look like.

Wonder what an 08 would look like if you halved its length and whether there's a chassis I can use to make one... Wouldn't mind if it turns into an 0-4-0, it's just gotta be short.

• Like 2