RMweb

Cobalt Digital IP Slow action point motor ISSUE

model-trains

Hi guys

I am having trouble with two Cobalt IP Digital Point Motors

They are wired up correctly but are not accepting the address sent to set them? 

I have removed and replaced the wires to ensure it was not a contact issue but still have problems.

I have tried sending a couple of different addresses, (in learn mode), I have also tried self centring and deactivate self centring 199 & 198 but nothing.

I have also switched off the system and restarted after sending the address still no luck?

Any advice guys?

The only other thought I can think of is check every address I could have used in the past to see if there is still an address in memory they can work from.

I am using iTrain v4.1.11 with Digikeijs DR5000 DigiCentral to program the point motors, all other point motors installed have re-programmed without issues.

• RMweb Gold

I did have to send two cobalts back a short while ago because the programming switch was in there words "erractic" but like you i couldnt get them to accept an address, they flooded the programming switches with cleaning fluid, and operated them a few times and all was resolved....which i can confirm because ive had to programme them several time because they are known to lose addresses during shorts.....

try that :)

but....i do find them far easier to program on the programming track than on the main.

Edited by pheaton
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, pheaton said:

I did have to send two cobalts back a short while ago because the programming switch was in there words "erractic" but like you i couldnt get them to accept an address, they flooded the programming switches with cleaning fluid, and operated them a few times and all was resolved....which i can confirm because ive had to programme them several time because they are known to lose addresses during shorts.....

try that :)

but....i do find them far easier to program on the programming track than on the main.

Many thanks for your reply. I have had the point motors about 18 months, so they are well out of guarantee. I used them on my last layout, but very little as I dismantled the layout within two months of getting them ready to move home, but the move took a long time and although I started this new layout last winter, I have done nothing on it over the summer months, I am just getting back to it.

I am thinking it must remember an old address it is just not accepting writing of a new one, but I have tried so many times even disconnected and tried again.

Do you think spraying with WD40 may help the learn switch (whilst powered off)

I have not used the programming track yet as the DR5000 and iTrain is all new to me.

Edited by model-trains

• RMweb Gold

not wd40!!!

use IPA cleaning solvent or any electrical contact solution.

so the solution i use is connect the cobalt to the programming track, set the switch to "set" issue my address using my ECoS, which is done by operating an accessory with the address i want, this is done twice so with a point...i throw it and throw it back, then cut the power to the programming track, set the switch to "run" and then connect it to the DCC bus and it works.

• Friendly/supportive 1

are you 100% certain that you are sending an accessory address to the IP Digital? An awful lot of people get this wrong with a DR5000.

Also are you trying to switch it with iTrain or the DR5000? You need to be 100% certain it is switching with the DR5000 before you enter the address into iTrain and switch using iTrain

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, pheaton said:

not wd40!!!

so the solution i use is connect the cobalt to the programming track, set the switch to "set" issue my address using my ECoS, which is done by operating an accessory with the address i want, this is done twice so with a point...i throw it and throw it back, then cut the power to the programming track, set the switch to "run" and then connect it to the DCC bus and it works.

I am glad I asked about the WD40, thank you.

I will look to get some IPA cleaning solvent.

I use the DR 5000 to write the addresses, just to confirm I do click the green and red dots alternately 4 times leaving a slight delay between each.

I have so far got a dozen point motors on this first board, 10 work it is just these two so far giving the issues.

Many thanks

I have just had a Digital IP replaced by DCC Concepts after it decided to stop in the wrong position - in reverse when my NCE procab was showing normal. I removed the unit and tried to reprogram all to no avail.

I think a diode ceased to work preventing the motor from operating in the reverse direction. DCC Concepts have not explained what was wrong with it only that when tested it was 'dead'. The replacement has just arrived.

Robin

• Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

FYI - the warranty for IP Digital motors is Lifetime therefore I also suggest that you give Mick or Richard a call and see what they say

That is interesting, I thought they were guaranteed for 3 months.

What do they class as a lifetime?

Many thanks for your help.

I have just seen your previous post Iain, I will reply to that shortly.

Thanks again

1 hour ago, WIMorrison said:

are you 100% certain that you are sending an accessory address to the IP Digital? An awful lot of people get this wrong with a DR5000.

Also are you trying to switch it with iTrain or the DR5000? You need to be 100% certain it is switching with the DR5000 before you enter the address into iTrain and switch using iTrain

Proceedure...

Open DR5000 - Click Control - Click Switch 

Opens switchboard properties

Lists turn out addresses

Change point motor to learn mode, click red, green, red, green, slight delay each time.

Switch out of learn mode, close down DR5000 and iTrain and test on layout.

No action from point motors?

2 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

Sounds like you are doing it all correctly therefore time to call Settle and see what they say :)

I have contacted them on the online form on their website. I cannot use the telephone due to my deafness.

Had I still lived up north I could have popped across to Settle, we were only on the west coast not that far away at all. 

I will await their reply

Thanks again

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, pheaton said:

not wd40!!!

Cobalt IP Digital or the earlier original Cobalt Digital are usually addressed using the main track, not the program track.

One thing not mentioned in the instructions is that the default address is #1,

So any new motor should quite happily run if you send the #1 accessory command.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, model-trains said:

That is interesting, I thought they were guaranteed for 3 months.

What do they class as a lifetime?

If I read the manual correctly, the guarantee applies to the original purchaser under "fair and proper" conditions.

e.g. not outdoors in the rain.............. or drilling holes in the casing.

• Like 1

Hi guys

I received a prompt reply to my email to Cobalt at Settle, they have been very helpful. I will include some of what they said as it could help others.

Message from Cobalt...

They should address pretty much as you describe - making sure that it is on the normal track, not program track..

There is no requirement to switch off the system when addressing and they should accept the address on only 1 move command - but we recommend sending it a couple of times.

As supplied, the motors should work as address #1

If they have been purchased in the past 2 years or so, then the auto-centre will already be disabled (even though the manual says it need disabling)

So you will not need to carry out the 198 function.

Even though they are delivered in the entre position, simply sending accessory command #1 left or right should make them move.

A quick way of re-centring them (rather than using 199 and then 198) is to command them to move and pull the power feed out half way across..........

A further test that you can try.

Connect two pushbuttons between PBS-L/PBS-C and PBS-R/PBS-C.

Connect power as normal and then the PBS terminals should give you manual control of the motor by making the L-C and then L-R circuits.

(You can use three short pieces of wire and "dab" them to create the L-C and R-C circuits).

This will check that the motor is working.

I spent ages trying to program the two motors, trying many addresses, had I known of the test mentioned in the last paragraph of the reply it would have saved a lot of time. The motors are dead.

I hope others find this information helpful.

• 1 year later...

I had a similar issue with some motors that were a couple of years old. I got in touch with DCC Concepts and they said  gears in the motors have grease on them which may have got thicker. I took the motors apart and cleaned the grease off and they all worked.