'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

My GWR set arrived on Wednesday afternoon, the first of quite a few that I have pre-ordered (a quartet of SR liveried 4 wheelers to arrive in November as well as an LMS 6 wheel brake so long as the orders don't get cancelled). Really pleased with the quality and finish of these coaches overall. The livery application and decoration are absolutely sublime. Packaging is pretty decent as well. There was a lamp iron that had fallen off the 6 wheel brake which was easily reattached but thankfully no other issues seem to be present. Vastly superior to the Hornby 4 and 6 wheelers in my opinion (never liked those anyways) but those I suppose have their uses for other modeler's projects. Not sure what the purpose is of the extra foot-boards as there is no mention of them in the instructions however I'm sure it has already been discussed on here prior to posting this. Will be pairing these with my Rails/Dapol GWR Terrier (the sole reason for purchasing it in the first place/also to one up the Hornby train pack offering in my agenda) so hopefully the running performances of these coaches will be good as well.

The roofs are a bit stiff to remove personally speaking, maybe I'm not using enough strength. I have also included pictures of the lights (probably would have been best to do this in the dark honestly) at different settings on my Bachmann controller, a relic from my childhood Thomas and Friends train sets now long gone. Apologies for the lack of close up pictures on the coaches but I'm sure you all have seen enough of that by now from other Users Lol.

20220921_203330.jpg

20220921_203339.jpg

20220921_214627.jpg

20220921_220902.jpg

20220921_220815.jpg

20220921_220707.jpg

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GreatWesternFan220 said:

My GWR set arrived on Wednesday afternoon, the first of quite a few that I have pre-ordered (a quartet of SR liveried 4 wheelers to arrive in November as well as an LMS 6 wheel brake so long as the orders don't get cancelled). Really pleased with the quality and finish of these coaches overall. The livery application and decoration are absolutely sublime. Packaging is pretty decent as well. There was a lamp iron that had fallen off the 6 wheel brake which was easily reattached but thankfully no other issues seem to be present. Vastly superior to the Hornby 4 and 6 wheelers in my opinion (never liked those anyways) but those I suppose have their uses for other modeler's projects. Not sure what the purpose is of the extra foot-boards as there is no mention of them in the instructions however I'm sure it has already been discussed on here prior to posting this. Will be pairing these with my Rails/Dapol GWR Terrier (the sole reason for purchasing it in the first place/also to one up the Hornby train pack offering in my agenda) so hopefully the running performances of these coaches will be good as well.

The roofs are a bit stiff to remove personally speaking, maybe I'm not using enough strength. I have also included pictures of the lights (probably would have been best to do this in the dark honestly) at different settings on my Bachmann controller, a relic from my childhood Thomas and Friends train sets now long gone. Apologies for the lack of close up pictures on the coaches but I'm sure you all have seen enough of that by now from other Users Lol.

20220921_203330.jpg

20220921_203339.jpg

20220921_214627.jpg

20220921_220902.jpg

20220921_220815.jpg

20220921_220707.jpg

I have to agree with everything here. Although I don't have the GWR examples (only Departmental) they do look REALLY nice. Picked up on a couple of points in the post:

FOOTBOARDS

They are removable (a couple of screws) should you wish to swap the low/double ones for the single example. I guess easiest thing to do is reference images for which should have which

ROOF CLIPS

I too have had difficulty getting mine off, although I am a twiglet. I don't need to get them off, just wanted to play about with all the "quality of life" features they have

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, SteamingWales said:

FOOTBOARDS

They are removable (a couple of screws) should you wish to swap the low/double ones for the single example. I guess easiest thing to do is reference images for which should have which

These types of carriages would have been built with lower footboards - at a time when many stations still had relatively low platforms, as little as 1' 6" above rail level. Lower footboards were removed when platform heights had been raised. On the LMS, removal was in the late 20s / early 30s, can't speak for other groups. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Seems ironic* that as popular as the "GWR" Genesis coaches appear to be that this is the one "pre-grouping" company that has no suitable period rtr tank locomotives in a late Victorian/ Edwardian livery/ build.

An almost similar situation applies to the forthcoming Dapol GWR coaches in the crimson lake livery 1912-1922.

*for other pre-grouping companies if they had the locomotives it was the opposite they had no coaches at all

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, rprodgers said:

Seems ironic* that as popular as the "GWR" Genesis coaches appear to be that this is the one "pre-grouping" company that has no suitable period rtr tank locomotives in a late Victorian/ Edwardian livery/ build.

An almost similar situation applies to the forthcoming Dapol GWR coaches in the crimson lake livery 1912-1922.

*for other pre-grouping companies if they had the locomotives it was the opposite they had no coaches at all

Something like this:

gwrbh1613.jpg

gwrrj2156.jpg

We're already not far off with this one:

gwrhb2222.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I'll be putting my 4 GWR ones on trial tonight, I've a few dodgy bits of track, especially the 3' radius over a lifting section. It has a 45 degree angle across one end.

99% of my stock does negotiate it OK, even at speed.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Just had an extended run on my layout.

Very good stability and no hint of a wobble anywhere.

I can even push back, at shunting speed, across a dodgy join and through a double slip & 3 way. Excellent.

On a different note. How do the light modules get their current?

I don't have lighted ones but want to put in a resistor for occupancy detection. There are bronze contacts at floor level each end, do the light units make contact with these?

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

The quickview and running video can now be found on World of Railways - https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news/quickview-hattons-genesis-coaches/

The torpedo vents to 2 of the 4 compartments of the Brighton coach were not to give ventilation to First Class passengers as you suggested, but would represent one First and one Third Class smoking compartments. Check if they have widow labels indicating them as such.  

Good to see them in action. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

26 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

The torpedo vents to 2 of the 4 compartments of the Brighton coach were not to give ventilation to First Class passengers as you suggested, but would represent one First and one Third Class smoking compartments. Check if they have widow labels indicating them as such.  

Good to see them in action. 

Ha, that would be window labels.

Reminds me of Hoffnung's mistranslated hotel information, "there is a French Widow in every bedroom affording delightful prospects"!

• Like 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/09/2022 at 15:00, Edwardian said:

where there are equivalent coaches in both ranges, especially given the comparable price point, why the Hell would you choose Hornby?

There is a short answer to that.

Because they are Hornby.

Ask your average person (which includes a reasonable percentage of those that partake in this hobby) if they've heard of Hattons and they won't have a clue.

Ask them if they've heard of Hornby and you'll get a very different answer.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, melmerby said:

Something like this:

gwrbh1613.jpg

gwrrj2156.jpg

We're already not far off with this one:

gwrhb2222.jpg

My point was a simple observation that before locos were being produced without suitable coaches, hence the reasoning  for the Genesis range.

Now on the GWR side we have pre grouping liveried coaches without suitable period liveried locos.

I doubt we will ever see a 36xx, more likely would be a Metro tank  (large or small) or probably more likely again a saddle tank like a 2021.

A 31xx/3111/ 3150 in Edwardian condition is still a fair way from a 41xx/5101/61xx  both in outline, bunker,  boiler and fittings, never mind a more complex pre grouping livery.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

My initial impressions of my GWR set last night was one of a very high quality product. The livery reproduction was excellent, there was no hint of light bleed from the coaches and the lights were not blindingly bright. The interiors are superb - I loved the luggage racks! The design of the lighting unit is most impressive - and I am really impressed with the way power is transmitted to the lights from the track - it's an innovative yet simple and robust design. Superb models and well worth the wait. I suspect that now these have arrived, the Hornby ones will be consigned to the bargain bucket and appear in droves at knock-down prices at Hatton's & Rails!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Jon Harbour said:

My initial impressions of my GWR set last night was one of a very high quality product. The livery reproduction was excellent, there was no hint of light bleed from the coaches and the lights were not blindingly bright. The interiors are superb - I loved the luggage racks! The design of the lighting unit is most impressive - and I am really impressed with the way power is transmitted to the lights from the track - it's an innovative yet simple and robust design. Superb models and well worth the wait. I suspect that now these have arrived, the Hornby ones will be consigned to the bargain bucket and appear in droves at knock-down prices at Hatton's & Rails!

Hattons, at least, don't seem to be attempting to unload Hornby ones at bargain level. Once all their own (the 6-wheelers in particular) have sold-out to more discerning purchasers, they'll have something left to sell to those who didn't realise what they were missing until it was too late.😉

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, newbryford said:

Because they are Hornby.

Ask your average person (which includes a reasonable percentage of those that partake in this hobby) if they've heard of Hattons and they won't have a clue.

In this day and age, can there really be anybody "within the hobby" who remains ignorant of the existence of everything else that's on offer? One would really have to work at that, I think!

Only those with no Internet access who never read magazines (all bar MRJ carry Hattons ads, and the people you describe definitely won't have heard of MRJ) and never go into a model shop or to exhibitions.

How would such people actually manage to buy models, whatever colour boxes they come in?

I've also never quite understood how those who don't buy model trains being aware that Hornby sells them benefits the company, any more than it does any other brand or retailer. ZERO in all cases, unless they one day decide to take up the hobby!

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, newbryford said:

Because they are Hornby.

Well, yes, while the audience to which the rhetorical question was posed was RMWeb, and while here we may attract the odd "my Hornby right or wrong" Fanboy, most of us are more discerning, you do well to remind us that RMWeb is not necessarily representative of the toy train buying market.

And, of course, the folly and wickedness of mankind is, alas, without end ...

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

In this day and age, can there really be anybody "within the hobby" who remains ignorant of the existence of everything else that's on offer? One would really have to work at that, I think!

As a model shop owner, I can tell you that yes there is, there are a lot of people ignorant of anything that isn't Hornby, and even some people that know other brands exist turn their nose up at them for not being Hornby. They are a substantial portion of the market.

4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Only those with no Internet access who never read magazines (all bar MRJ carry Hattons ads, and the people you describe definitely won't have heard of MRJ) and never go into a model shop or to exhibitions.

How would such people actually manage to buy models, whatever colour boxes they come in?

From model shops, we do still exist.

Gary

• Like 7
  • Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Not even every "active" modeller buys a magazine. Not every "active" modeller" is on Rmweb, or surfing the web for modelling purposes.

And bear in mind how many outlets those Hornby coaches will appear in. Hundreds across the country.  The only shop you will see these in is Hattons. 

And thats before we get to the people who play "toy trains". Or collectors. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Jon Harbour said:

I am really impressed with the way power is transmitted to the lights from the track

How? I asked the question a while back.

I would like to know so that I can connect a resistor for occupancy detection (I have unlit ones)

I can see the bronze contacts on the body floor, what presses on these?

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Miss Prism said:

Is the absence of pics of the GWR examples on the Hattons site because the GWR ones have sold out?

Yes, all gone.

You can bring up a full list of what was available and all the GWR ones say "Sold Out"

• Like 3