Reversing trains

class37418stag

Some Trains using either of Bradford stations involve reversing in some capacity.

At Forster Square services to London KX need to complete a reversal at Leeds in order to access the Aire Valley Line.

While still on the Aire Valley Line Limestone Traffic from Rhylstone has to complete a reversal at Skipton and likewise from Arcow and Dryrigg Quarries near Horton In Ribblesdale reversals are done at Blea Moor. I also understand that some reversal are done at Hellifield however I cannot say what services these would be.

For Bradford Interchange trains travelling from Leeds to Manchester Airport and Huddersfield perform a reversal in the Station.

If you go back further in time Leeds Skipton services used to undergo a reversal at the Shipley triangle until the 1990s. Shipley was also used for turning stock too large to be performed elsewhere locally. Notably in the 1950s it was used to turn the Deltic Prototype and a Dynamometer Car.

Anglo-Scottish trains and Bradford-London services using the Aire Valley used to do a reversal at Leeds. In fact the Thames Clyde Express at certain periods used to perform a reversal at both Leicester and Leeds.

Pity the poor souls who thought that taking a sleeper from Milford Haven to Paddington would be restful...

At Carmarthen, attach mail vans to train and train reverses direction of travel.

At Swansea, train reverses direction of travel.

At Cardiff, detach mail vans.

All gone now, of course.

I sometimes speculate what a Brighton- Milford Haven train might be like:-

Change of direction at Portsmouth, Bristol TM, Swansea and Carmarthen

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, melmerby said:

Precisely.

The Dinting Glossop Hadfied does that as it is one service Manchester to Manchester but reverses twice to end up facing the way it came.

For instance this train (2G89):

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y63390/2019-10-21/detailed

Wondered why you were listing that as two reversals, makes sense there.

17 hours ago, melmerby said:

Precisely.

The Dinting Glossop Hadfied does that as it is one service Manchester to Manchester but reverses twice to end up facing the way it came.

For instance this train (2G89):

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y63390/2019-10-21/detailed

That (to me) seems a very odd way of describing a train; Hadfield is (nowadays) of course a dead end, so every train arriving there must terminate and return whence it came, either via Glossop or direct to Dinting. Normally (ie outside the peaks) the Manchester/Hadfield services all run via Glossop with one reversal there.

Edited by caradoc
Clarification

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, caradoc said:

That (to me) seems a very odd way of describing a train; Hadfield is (nowadays) of course a dead end, so every train arriving there must terminate and return whence it came, either via Glossop or direct to Dinting. Normally (ie outside the peaks) the Manchester/Hadfield services all run via Glossop with one reversal there.

Except, unlike most journeys into and out of a terminus these trains keep the same reporting number. i.e. it is the same service.

The Train is not Manchester to Hadfield, It is Manchester to Manchester via Glossop & Hadfield.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Except, unlike most journeys into and out of a terminus these trains keep the same reporting number. i.e. it is the same service.

The Train is not Manchester to Hadfield, It is Manchester to Manchester via Glossop & Hadfield.

Thanks. I wonder why trains on that particular route are treated like that ?

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Thanks. I wonder why trains on that particular route are treated like that ?

Possibly to save confusion?

If you are on the train at Glossop you could be from Manchester waiting to get off at Hadfield, equally you might have just got on and be going to Manchester (via Hadfield).

So it is a bit like a circular service but with a very small triangle to go around!

Edited by melmerby
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I'm completely guessing here but could that be something to do with the fact that the train traverses every side of the Dinting triangle? Therefore passengers for Glossop to Manchester will be travelling on the same train at the same time as passengers from Manchester to Hadfield. The service can't therefore terminate at either Glossop or Hadfield because there will be passengers travelling through both stations.

• RMweb Premium

Although Georgemas station has been mentioned, Inverness requires reversal if a stopping train is going on to the far North or Kyle lines. I don't think there are any Scheduled to do this anymore. but the facility is still there...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Inverness/@57.4813001,-4.2242505,593m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x488f715b2d17de2b:0x624309d12e3ec43d!8m2!3d57.477773!4d-4.224721

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Pandora said:

Can anyone confirm,  If you travel on the Golden Valley line from Swindon I think the train reverses at Gloucester before continuing,  I think i did the trip and it was an HST125.

Trains do reverse at Gloucester see this GWR service 1L36 Cheltenham to Paddington:

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C20637/2019-10-23/detailed

and 2M97 Southampton to Malvern:

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C22943/2019-10-23/detailed

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

This an interesting one

From Kyle of Lochalsh to Boat of Garten (GBRF)

Diesel loco and coaches.

From Kyle it by-passes Inverness station to Milburn Junction, then reverses back into Inverness Platform 2.

From there it goes on to Aviemore, where it again reverses, up the Speyside line to Boat of Garten.

1H81 https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P94065/2019-10-23/detailed

It just occurred to me that Limerick Junction in Ireland was a station where trains reversed, and back in the day when most were loco hauled, some of them literally backed up as opposed to changing ends.

I believe the track layout and signalling has recently been modernised to overcome the problem.  

• RMweb Premium

Many years ago, I caught a Poole/Bournemouth to Glasgow/Edinburgh Service, which reversed at Reading and Birmingham New St.

There was just a little confusion as the guard tried to explain which portion was the front, had been the rear, and prior to that, the front again, and which portion was going where, and vice versa.

The Buffet was still in the middle of the train, though.

After three attempts he gave up.

Rrgards

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Years ago, when I was a child, I had a few trips from Plymouth to Penrith, reversing (IIRC) at Gloucester and Birmingham New Street. I took me ages to convince myself that we weren't just going back the way we'd come.

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Sorry to be pedantic, but a Poole-Glasgow and Edinburgh via the WCML service would not need to reverse at Birmingham New St, unless it arrived or departed via a convoluted route !

Entering via the West Suburban line and exiting towards Wolves?

Brain not in gear.

Can only enter via Proof House, it's possible it exits the same way and goes via Aston and Bescot to Wolves.

Some XC trains still reverse in Birmingham to get to/from the NE

e.g.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P38739/2019-10-24/detailed

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P38492/2019-10-24/detailed

Edited by melmerby