RMweb

What's on your 3mm workbench

A first 3mm coach, whilst I don't see me needing lots of coaches I do want so to at the very least some parcels stock....

So whilst I've normally been preoccupied withe the RC chassis I have been acquiring some bits...

So extremely rough and ready and about 2 hours in is this MK1 BG, very likely to be finished in all over blue as I have found a nice picture to work from.

Shortened Kitmaster shell (2 halves of a corridor brake jointed), with windows opened out to allow glazing to be fitted internally with Worsley Works etched sides. Roof has a touch of a bow in it but should be sortable. 

Lots of detail to be added, running gear will be the society/MJT compensated bogies and cast sides.

I'll grab a few more brake 2nds as I see them at reasonable prices for a few more along the same lines.

IMG_20240408_202240.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Nice work Red Devil, the BG all ready  looks great. When its in weathered all over rail blue, be spot on.

Got some wagon kits yesterday while helping with a packing day at the society shop.

IMG_20240409_213315_5402.jpg.c0708b601954a11be4864d26b0054b82.jpg

These took my fancy, Cambrian kits Dogfish ballast hoppers. Ended up with 8 going into the stash, to eventually make a nice little rake up. These were not even on my radar at all, just a massive impulse buy! 

What I had planned to get was a Parkside Dundas Conflat kit, which I did. 

IMG_20240409_212920_1672.jpg.2a12de9a5a87612ce33e541a2889150c.jpg

Made it it up today. Its to go with the 08, as a match truck but with added pick ups. I know it was only 03's had these really but the 08 is poor runner so it is a possible solution to pick up issues due in part to it requiring billiard table level track and my not so super level track in places.

IMG_20240409_212941_6022.jpg.4471b722c877ae3947c3d199ab6590d5.jpg

So here we have the added pick ups, 0.3 mm n/s rod soldered to pcb sleeper, and decoder wire used to connect to half a micro connector, the other half hard wired to the 08 pick up pcb.

The intention is to paint, add liquid lead underneath etc once proof of concept is proven. Trouble is, tonight, test running was stopped when a driving wheel came loose on the SQ axle end. So its in dock having had the b2b re set and super glue added to the outer interface with the extended axle, in fact I also added super glue to the other 5 as well to head this off at the pass.

Also managed to snap off the cab end cosmetic vac pipe and screw shackle when removing the body. More flippin rework to do.

So after the 08's moment of fame as the cover pic on this quarters Mixed Traffic magazine, it is now in the naughty corner.

Cheers

D.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

12 hours ago, TT100 Diesels said:

......the 08 is poor runner so it is a possible solution to pick up issues due in part to it requiring billiard table level track and my not so super level track in places.......

Stick a battery in it.....job sorted....😃

• Funny 4

24 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Put some graphite on the track and see what a difference that makes.

Go dcc and stick a stay alive in it!🙊

Dcc concepts power base has good old-fashioned triang vibe iv installed on test track but not fitted 08s with magnets yet....1st layout  will have fitted for the small cost involved then will see effectiveness! But rc dead rail does cure alot of problems

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, TT100 Diesels said:

Nice work Red Devil, the BG all ready  looks great. When its in weathered all over rail blue, be spot on.

Got some wagon kits yesterday while helping with a packing day at the society shop.

IMG_20240409_213315_5402.jpg.c0708b601954a11be4864d26b0054b82.jpg

These took my fancy, Cambrian kits Dogfish ballast hoppers. Ended up with 8 going into the stash, to eventually make a nice little rake up. These were not even on my radar at all, just a massive impulse buy! 

What I had planned to get was a Parkside Dundas Conflat kit, which I did. 

IMG_20240409_212920_1672.jpg.2a12de9a5a87612ce33e541a2889150c.jpg

Made it it up today. Its to go with the 08, as a match truck but with added pick ups. I know it was only 03's had these really but the 08 is poor runner so it is a possible solution to pick up issues due in part to it requiring billiard table level track and my not so super level track in places.

IMG_20240409_212941_6022.jpg.4471b722c877ae3947c3d199ab6590d5.jpg

So here we have the added pick ups, 0.3 mm n/s rod soldered to pcb sleeper, and decoder wire used to connect to half a micro connector, the other half hard wired to the 08 pick up pcb.

The intention is to paint, add liquid lead underneath etc once proof of concept is proven. Trouble is, tonight, test running was stopped when a driving wheel came loose on the SQ axle end. So its in dock having had the b2b re set and super glue added to the outer interface with the extended axle, in fact I also added super glue to the other 5 as well to head this off at the pass.

Also managed to snap off the cab end cosmetic vac pipe and screw shackle when removing the body. More flippin rework to do.

So after the 08's moment of fame as the cover pic on this quarters Mixed Traffic magazine, it is now in the naughty corner.

Cheers

D.

I have a vague recollection of seeing a photo of an 08 with a shunter's truck attached to it at Doncaster. The wagon type was different as it was a former brake van chassis, which still had the concrete blocks on the ends. It is ages since I saw the photo and I can't remember where I saw it but you needn't feel that it is totally wrong to have an 08 with a shunter's wagon/match truck attached.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I have a vague recollection of seeing a photo of an 08 with a shunter's truck attached to it at Doncaster. The wagon type was different as it was a former brake van chassis, which still had the concrete blocks on the ends. It is ages since I saw the photo and I can't remember where I saw it but you needn't feel that it is totally wrong to have an 08 with a shunter's wagon/match truck attached.

I've also seen a photo very recently of an 08 with match truck working at Edinburgh station to help with track circuits which I'll try and find again.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

55 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Found on google on rm screen shot stolen

Screenshot_20240410-141849_Chrome.jpg

Edited by bradfordbuffer
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Cheers for all the comments folks, I must admit, last night I was thinking that Red Devil and the radio control stuff eliminates all this faff........

Anyway, after a second dose of super glue drizzled around all 6 wheel to extended crank interfaces earlier today, I am pleased to say that the 08 is running again, so I finished off the development work on the match truck Conflat. 

IMG_20240410_135628_0032.jpg.b47696f255bc95fb8e189f5ddacf2a34.jpg

After tweaking the pick up 0.3mm rod to about minimum possible force on the flange backs, it was on with the permanent weight. Liquid lead carefully poured at one end and super glue very carefully drizzled in to capillary through the lead. Seen waiting for the glue to cure.

The toy coupler that was on the 08 has been re purposed on to the business end of the match wagon. A bar coupler is fitted to the loco end.

IMG_20240410_141102_0362.jpg.95585ec4960a4b49ef9f73a73f8ed136.jpg

And on the front of the 08, a bar coupler of sorts is screwed in place also trapping the new pickup wires to stop them snagging point blades etc, they are very low. A 0.5mm dia rod "U" link drops in from above to couple to the similar bar on the loco end of the match truck.

IMG_20240410_135607_9892.jpg.cfc3317d9df8339ba9f40c0de913069d.jpg

And repairs to my cack handedness last night wait for the super glue to harden before painting ( vac pipe and screw coupler).

So starting to get back on track again. The main issue with the 08 for poor pick up is that I reckon the centre axle is a thou or so below the two outer axles. So the loco pivots on the centre axle, but it is dead subtle and took some discovering. Then coupled with my "average" track, it is not billiard table flat, and the points are a problem for it too, and they are live frog and I tested them with a meter yesterday as well. So it has to be a match truck with extra pick ups otherwise its a damned expensive back of the shed scenic item! And just to be clear, my 1957 Triang TT3 08 blows this out of the water performance wise.

But, anyway, at least progressing in a forward direction again.

Cheers

D.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Found on google on rm screen shot stolen

Screenshot_20240410-141849_Chrome.jpg

Gosh, every day is a school day ! Cheers Bradford B, I knew match trucks were very commonplace with 03's for track circuits, but never knew of any 08's with match trucks, so that is great, there IS a prototype for everything after all.

Thanks for digging up this gen,

Cheers

D,

• Like 1

And in other news, a sixteen wheeler was spotted at High Peak Junction.......

IMG_20240412_205526_7152.jpg.6424566326b6a0e3624beec73754178f.jpg

Nearly there, just the dreaded hand cut flush glazing to do, and some sort of toy coupler at the No. 2 end to sort out.

Even in 3mill, its a big loco and has a presence about it.

Cheers

D.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

57 minutes ago, Phill Dyson (onslaught832) said:

Have you omitted working pony wheels in favour of reliable running? 

Hi Phil,  the way the bogies have been made by Lincoln Locos is effectively an 1A1A - A1A1. The front pony is a flangeless wheelset which is free to roll but is mounted in a slot, the bottom of which is slightly higher up than the centre line of the two powered wheelset on a bogie. The centre of the 3 wheelsets which would have traction motors in real life is also the same principle as the front pony. 

IMG_20240412_222020_0892.jpg.7e6a947b6b427e6484dfe8724b48c0f7.jpg

There we are, a picture says it all !

Hope this helps,

Cheers, 

D.

PS - 832, I remember that at the RTC and dumped at Egginton Junction. Glad to see it was saved.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi, 

Well its back to skool for me. Have a look at the next couple of pictures of the conflat kit build with extra pickups for the 08.

IMG_20240414_213402_3442.jpg.41ba40e7959feaeab7b49c5e5f37f0de.jpg

Last night, finished the basic painting, ready for taking out to show and tell at today's East Midlands group 3mm  meet up at Bingham. Looking reasonably smart, but still requires decals and weathering. 

Outer end Triang type coupler, inner end, a bespoke bar / pivot arrangement and wiring jumper with micro connector.

IMG_20240414_213423_7662.jpg.6b9001aed575195058cfcc0108136f85.jpg

All done underneath. Liquid lead application completed, everything in matt black.

Came to it this morning, giving the brown time to dry off and harden a bit, just pop the wheelsets in and give it a test run. But, hmm, a problem 🤔. Came to the first wheelset, engaged pin point onto bearing, taking care to get the pick up acting against the rear of the flange, then same for opposite end of the axle. Hmmm, sure I properly engaged the first end ?, its riding up on the bearing. Try again, same, 🤔.

If you have not guessed it yet readers, grim realisation time, flanges fouled by the liquid lead........... Same for both axles. Major foul up there then, straight to the back of the class, and face the corner of shame 😟.

Just goes to show, its not always going to plan, this is one I got well wrong. It was the last straw for the 08 running improvement saga, I am putting it all away and leaving it for a while. I will come back to it when I am in the mood and look at faffing with scraping the liquid lead back to clear the flanges.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hopefully Phil, but to be honest, the whole 08 running saga has been hassle overall and I have now got fed up with it so on to other things till I can be bothered. 

Ironically, at yesterdays EMAG 3mm meet up, the 08 ran perfectly on the groups billiard table flat test track. Different controller as well. (I have acquired a different controller at home which is better with the 08 but not got round to building a mounting shelf and wiring it in permanently).

Cheers

D.

I'm sure you'll sort it out on this one but do remember in future I've a load of sheet lead which may be easier to use. 

Must admit I'm not a fan of liquid lead because the glue (even if you use PVA) can have a habit of getting in places it shouldn't and there's less opportunity to mess about as you go. 

As you say, the problems with the 08 are very subtle. It may right itself with prolonged running in. However, my N gauge Hunslet (which I think suffered from a similar problem) wouldn't even drive far enough on any sort of track to get itself run in! 

Phil

1 hour ago, Phil Mason said:

I'm sure you'll sort it out on this one but do remember in future I've a load of sheet lead which may be easier to use. 

Must admit I'm not a fan of liquid lead because the glue (even if you use PVA) can have a habit of getting in places it shouldn't and there's less opportunity to mess about as you go. 

As you say, the problems with the 08 are very subtle. It may right itself with prolonged running in. However, my N gauge Hunslet (which I think suffered from a similar problem) wouldn't even drive far enough on any sort of track to get itself run in! 

Phil

PVA and liquid lead/lead shot isn't a good idea at the best of times as it can react and swell causing issues.

I'm firmly in the lead sheeting camp too and always have some to hand.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Phil Mason said:

Phil

Never use PVA glue on lead, it will expand and can easily destroy a model. Sometimes they look as if they have exploded - which they have, albeit slowly!

1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

Never use PVA glue on lead,

We seem to be using some potentially confusing terms and I don't know of any liquid lead that isn't molten and rather hot. 'Liquid Gravity' as sold by Deluxe is, I think, some form of manganese shot (probably manganese steel as used by the fishing fraternity). As such it should be rather dense but most applications I have found it to be less so than solid steel (in fact around half as dense- must have something to do with so much air between the balls).

Edited by natterjack
  • Informative/Useful 1