What's on your 3mm workbench

9 minutes ago, TT100 Diesels said:

Still a fair bit of detailing and finishing

Yup, the hardest part to come...

I'm sure you'll get there. It's too good to leave unfinished! But don't rush! 

Sorry, misunderstood your post re ETH 45/1. There are probably numerous other Peaks of one sort of another. Wonder if you can delete RM posts? Must get back to the day job...

P. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TT100 Diesels said:

Dropped some buffers on the beast and had to plonk it together for a couple of shots.

IMG_20240321_224245_5762.jpg.396b25774930ced4e14a6ab8c361c86e.jpg

Coming along nicely.......

IMG_20240321_223948_4322.jpg.e9c5373d4c38e77cc378f6d442117bce.jpg

I'll say it has got some presence about it...... A proper stonkin' piece of heavy metal 😁. Big twin bank Sulzer, what's not to like.

Still a fair bit of detailing and finishing so its not quite out of the oven yet.

Cheers

D.

One word....wow!

• Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Thanks for the amazing response there to my paint job Bradfordbuffer, much appreciated. 

Been cracking on with it, and another update, sorry folks kind of taking over the thread a bit again! 

IMG_20240322_213325_8342.jpg.41ec1acadd4fcf9e8d528f0f2c74ba6b.jpg

45127, a big ETH Peak.

IMG_20240322_213303_0912.jpg.4e4210b947100e02dbfb2c480173358e.jpg

IMG_20240322_213607_9102.jpg.0a6761b7347cff9cb7b4db2f0c069b59.jpg

Its come on a bit. Still fair bit to finish though, weathering, matt varnish spray and the much anticipated 🤔 home brew flush glazing to do.

The build is faithful to 45127 in 1980 trim, in so far correct plating over grilles, re skinned sides over boiler footsteps etc.

Looking at it, I do have to say that even though its a bit rude to self praise, I am immensely pleased with it so far. 

So, if you like your Peak's electric heated, enjoy !

Cheers

D.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, TT100 Diesels said:

Thanks for the amazing response there to my paint job Bradfordbuffer, much appreciated. 

Been cracking on with it, and another update, sorry folks kind of taking over the thread a bit again! 

IMG_20240322_213325_8342.jpg.41ec1acadd4fcf9e8d528f0f2c74ba6b.jpg

45127, a big ETH Peak.

IMG_20240322_213303_0912.jpg.4e4210b947100e02dbfb2c480173358e.jpg

IMG_20240322_213607_9102.jpg.0a6761b7347cff9cb7b4db2f0c069b59.jpg

Its come on a bit. Still fair bit to finish though, weathering, matt varnish spray and the much anticipated 🤔 home brew flush glazing to do.

The build is faithful to 45127 in 1980 trim, in so far correct plating over grilles, re skinned sides over boiler footsteps etc.

Looking at it, I do have to say that even though its a bit rude to self praise, I am immensely pleased with it so far. 

So, if you like your Peak's electric heated, enjoy !

Cheers

D.

Superb Dave !

I'd been thinking that headcode boxes looked a tad large when viewing the earlier photos of them whilst just painted yellow but now that they have the black backgrounds and marker lights fitted they look just right .... glad I kept my mouth shut now ! LoL

Have I mentioned that that looks superb ??

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lovely to see in the flesh and it works well too. I can't believe you've added all those coats. And done the handrails. What is this - Mason 'warp speed'? 

it's a a total advert for brush painted acrylic. Master class! 

P. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Phil, but it is how they did it in the paint shop at Derby Loco Works, nice hand painted blue full yellow ends.........

Also, just been looking at Trains in the attic (Richard) video of todays Belper mrx on his you tube channel. Bluish is on something like 14.20 in, rather embarrassing he picked a time when the layout was chocked full of my stuff and he dwellt rather a lot on the aforementioned Peak 🤔.

Fortunately, Tony managed to shuffle a 76 and I scrambled to get your new 37140 put on the layout and it does feature running out on to the fuel point.....

Cheers

D.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not really a workbench question but with all this diesel activity on here at the moment it's got me thinking about a. What's already in my 3mm stash ... and b. What might be added to my 3mm stash.

With this in mind and having just had a look at Lenny's Lincoln Locos site can I tentatively ask how you get hold of Lenny's 'Nearly RTR' locos or more importantly ... chassis, please ?

I couldn't see any mention of them but have already bought a few steam outline bodies only from him.

Looking forward to hopefully seeing Bluish and Lakebank at York this w/end.

Regards,

Ian.

2 hours ago, 03060 said:

Not really a workbench question but with all this diesel activity on here at the moment it's got me thinking about a. What's already in my 3mm stash ... and b. What might be added to my 3mm stash.

With this in mind and having just had a look at Lenny's Lincoln Locos site can I tentatively ask how you get hold of Lenny's 'Nearly RTR' locos or more importantly ... chassis, please ?

I couldn't see any mention of them but have already bought a few steam outline bodies only from him.

Regards,

Ian.

Complete ready to play avaliable from lenny direct 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 03060 said:

Regards,

Ian.

Ian,

His web site is slightly clunky, on the products tab, a drop down menu flicks on but disappears, it has ready to roll tab, but if you go on to the blogs tab, 6 or so posts down the list there is a ready to roll link. Have a look at that, but best to use the contact form to ask Lenny any particular questions.

Hope this helps

Cheers

D.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, TT100 Diesels said:

Ian,

His web site is slightly clunky, on the products tab, a drop down menu flicks on but disappears, it has ready to roll tab, but if you go on to the blogs tab, 6 or so posts down the list there is a ready to roll link. Have a look at that, but best to use the contact form to ask Lenny any particular questions.

Hope this helps

Cheers

D.

Thanks Dave and @bradfordbuffer, have now found the page by looking on my phone rather than my rather old tablet. Prices seem comparable with other gauges and pretty reasonable in my opinion. I'll have good study and think about future requirements but as ever in this scale I try to buy things when they are available rather than when I might need them and a comment in this months BRM has got the brain ticking again ... strangely in a kind of Sulzer fashion, Hmmm.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 03060 said:

Thanks Dave and @bradfordbuffer, have now found the page by looking on my phone rather than my rather old tablet. Prices seem comparable with other gauges and pretty reasonable in my opinion. I'll have good study and think about future requirements but as ever in this scale I try to buy things when they are available rather than when I might need them and a comment in this months BRM has got the brain ticking again ... strangely in a kind of Sulzer fashion, Hmmm.

Regards,

Ian.

Do it....do it...!

Gosh! I was back in school play ground for a minute there😄

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, 03060 said:

but as ever in this scale I try to buy things when they are available rather than when I might need them

Umm, guilty as charged! I got bored during a work Teams call a while back, so was perusing Lenny's website in the background, used the contact page on his website, then had a conversation on email "lennyapplegreen@hotmail.co.uk" and about a month later one of these turned up (seen stood next to my OO version):

IMG_7580.JPG.4f41721178fadc6cb2a64de713a5769a.JPG

The chassis is fab, very smooth and excellent low speed running, as good as Piko/Roco in my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Again not really on my workbench but of interest (I hope.)

I spent a couple of hours this afternoon unpacking my Masbury layout up in the loft and 'winkling' (and I mean winkling !) it back into a useable position. The loft was crammed with stuff but looked worse with the layout boards stored together on their ends, plus I have Mark Haynes old Hemyock Road layout up there as well ... so I literally had to think movements carefully through ... boxes to there, one piece to there, box to there, layout section in to position, etc. An odd bent tree and a small piece of fencing knocked off but I got further than I intended ... and the swear box was almost still empty !!!

IMG_7077.jpeg.15728d180a17a6710813756b6b31493a.jpeg

IMG_7078.jpeg.3395f623ff0b9a1f60d8dccb0647ddad.jpeg

The layout hasn't been used for approx. 5 years since I last exhibited it at a Leeds show and modified the scenic 'corner' sections to make them more aesthetically pleasing when viewed by the public ... unfortunately one board now needs a lump to be cut out for it to fit around the vertical post at the far end ... which is why it's remained 'boxed' up ... but I have a plan. At least I should be able to get it runnable again if only for testing locos and stock.

The other layout currently up in the loft is Hemyock Road but I haven't the space to put it up up there. This unfortunately got slightly damaged the last time that I exhibited it and needs some repairs.

IMG_7076.jpeg.1638f9186071cd659b2938bc5dc83d6f.jpeg

It fits nicely into my modelling room downstairs but is either then the wrong way around for operating or for viewing with the pointwork being operated by manual wire and switch type levers, these would be difficult to fit point motors to due to the layout's construction but maybe not impossible. At least one section will have to go back downstairs as Masbury's fiddle yard needs to come back up yet, so I shall see what's possible then.

You'll notice an unsceniced end board attached to the main station board at the moment, this being an experiment to see if I can give this little layout 'multiple identities' (I still have Mark's dairy board) ... again ... a long over due bit of work that may or may not be successful.

Back to work for the next 2 weeks, so that's as far as I'll get for the time being  but at least it's now work in progress again.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 6

Good luck with that Ian. I particularly like the trees in the first photo, very nice indeed. The swappy outy end boards on Hemyock look to be a great idea, an MPD for your Sulzer locos you mentioned up thread! 😉. You know it makes sense.....

Anyway, been progressing the Peak, weathering tasks, its probably 80% done. Need to let it properly harden then look again with a critical eye, then further adjust the tones and do the finishing bits like silvering off the footstep treads etc.

IMG_20240325_205741_2803.jpg.1e42460d8a5e9e7e904049fc4648bbad.jpg

Quick tablet cam pic, looks a lot better in the flesh, honest.......

Cheers

D.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, TT100 Diesels said:

Good luck with that Ian. I particularly like the trees in the first photo, very nice indeed. The swappy outy end boards on Hemyock look to be a great idea, an MPD for your Sulzer locos you mentioned up thread! 😉. You know it makes sense.....

Anyway, been progressing the Peak, weathering tasks, its probably 80% done. Need to let it properly harden then look again with a critical eye, then further adjust the tones and do the finishing bits like silvering off the footstep treads etc.

Cheers

D.

Blue....internal combustion.....dirty....

....what's not to like!🤌🤌😃

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, TT100 Diesels said:

Cheers

D.

Looks like it's ready to haul a Parcels/newspaper train out of St Pancras.....couple of bg's a gov or two and a currier van?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Looks like it's ready to haul a Parcels/newspaper train out of St Pancras.....couple of bg's a gov or two and a currier van?

Rescale from N gauge stl file...printed 5mm too short, going to stretch hope it doesn't distort the windows and doors. Roof vents very under nourished but it has the essence of a Mk1

20240323_155247.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah, that would be nice, anyone doing Pancras in 3mm! 

Seriously though, High Peak Jn layout is set 75 to 80, and at that time all 50 of the  45/1's were Toton engines and solid on MML and NE-SW passenger, but did do some occasional freight in the area. So, while a 45/0 would have been a better choice overall, for some unfathomable reason I simply HAD to do a /1 ETH example. And it will turn up at HPJ as booked for type 4 jobs turn about with 47205.

I suppose it was also about the opportunity of breaking new ground in 3mm as well, I will wager that it is the only 45/1 in existence in 3mm land, happy to be proved wrong though.

Oh and a tasty piece of NPCCS, was that one of the later conversions with the roller shutter doors for the Parcels Sector ?

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TT100 Diesels said:

Yeah, that would be nice, anyone doing Pancras in 3mm! 

Seriously though, High Peak Jn layout is set 75 to 80, and at that time all 50 of the  45/1's were Toton engines and solid on MML and NE-SW passenger, but did do some occasional freight in the area. So, while a 45/0 would have been a better choice overall, for some unfathomable reason I simply HAD to do a /1 ETH example. And it will turn up at HPJ as booked for type 4 jobs turn about with 47205.

I suppose it was also about the opportunity of breaking new ground in 3mm as well, I will wager that it is the only 45/1 in existence in 3mm land, happy to be proved wrong though.

Oh and a tasty piece of NPCCS, was that one of the later conversions with the roller shutter doors for the Parcels Sector ?

Cheers

Dave

1986 conversion

http://www.srpsmuseum.org.uk/80221.htm

Use to see them at crewe a lot on mid Wales Parcels 

1986 was a good year for railway.....I joined!😄

Edited by bradfordbuffer
  • Like 1

Wow, just seen, this thread has the "hot" thread marker, that is the first time ever that this thread has become "hot" , it has certainly moved away from the tumbleweed somewhat !

So keep it coming folks...

Edited by TT100 Diesels
Spelling
  • Funny 1

2 minutes ago, TT100 Diesels said:

Thanks for the link,

Everyday is a school day!

They where Brill I remember doing a overnight trip in one seem to remember to barrow! A few Parcels vans a single coach and the currier ...one compartment entire coach to ourself

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TT100 Diesels said:

Wow, just seen, this thread has the "hot" thread marker, that is the first time ever that this thread has become "hot" , it has certainly moved away from the tumbleweed somewhat !

So keep ot coming folks...

Absolutely....and you need to talk to the moderator of rmweb for article in brm to spread the gospel of 3mm!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Back on with the L&Y fish van this evening.

Out came the mini blow torch to remove a stubborn piece of strapping that was soldered on solidly but slightly at the wrong angle ... wouldn't budge for some reason with the soldering iron but came off easily with the little flame.

Several other tiny bits of strapping added and a bracket that I lost early on was remade by filing up a spare piece of the fret. I thought that was it for the bodywork but have just found 4 more bits of wraparound straps and 2 door latches to fit.

There's also the brake levers and rods to do but I was leaving them till last anyway before tackling the roof and sticking on buffers and axleboxes.

Not finished yet but happy with tonight's progress.

Good to see others are also making successful progress with their projects.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 2

More Peak progress to report. 45127 has now had the weathering completed. Still a few actions to complete, such as rattle can matt varnish ( to make the decal fix / gloss varnish "disappear" and to tone it all down and key it all together) hand cut flush glazing and a toy coupler / wire loop affair at the No. 2 end. The No. 1 end will remain as purely cosmetic with its fully populated buffer beam.

DSCF7233.jpg.870d1bbc937e7c58c49815ae3a95c6ed.jpg

No 2 end view.

DSCF7234.jpg.f48b99ff9a405d7d8374fc05e4651d2e.jpg

No1 end

DSCF7236.jpg.8e0317fedb0ea4f8f6a9ff8183a2098c.jpg

No1 end

DSCF7232.jpg.8d0d2e59ab818e98fd432355459dbf82.jpg

No 1 end

DSCF7231.jpg.1dfff5bde958579828fb019002c76918.jpg

No 1 end view

DSCF7235.jpg.74d95e9ae69cfd194332509de234904b.jpg

No 1 end 3/4 view.