Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Frustrations of Offering Buy-it-Now

cessna152towser

• RMweb Premium

The buyer had been successful bidder on three lots comprising some twenty wagons.  He was interested in buying a fourth lot and I agreed a buy-it-now price with him and added this option to my listing.   Within minutes he messaged that he had clicked the buy-it-now option and the top of my eBay page also had the little message box "Paid - Post Now".    Everything was carefully packed yesterday evening and ready to post on Monday.   I then find this morning that lot four was paid by a different person and has to go somewhere else.  I checked with my buyer and it seems he clicked the buy-it-now on lot four but apparently did not instantly follow through with payment or "request total".  Someone else must have clicked buy-it-now a few moments later and paid immediately.  So I have spent much of this morning unpacking everything to find the lot four items, then re-pack them all, lots 1 to 3 for one buyer and lot 4 to the other. Thankfully I have an understanding wife who helped with the unpacking and re-packing.  I'd hesitate before agreeing a buy-it-now option in future.

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

On one occasion a few years back I was selling some TT gauge items and a chap in Australia asked if I could help.  Because of the time difference and the fact I'd set the selling times to try and maximise UK sales, he was getting outbid all the time when he would normally be asleep.

As I had some quite general items he was interested in, we agreed a price and I set up the lot to go live at a time suitable to him.  I then listed the items somewhere odd like kitchen furniture.  As soon as the item went live I emailed him the link, and within minutes he'd bought the items and we'd ensured it would be highly unlikely for anyone to stumble across this in the very few mins it was live.

(I know some people go looking for bargains that are poorly listed but given this was live for just a few mins it's unlikely anyone would have seen this - I'd also made the title quite vague).

• Like 2

That's simple user error though.

The person who wanted to buy the 1-3 lots should have done so, THEN waited until you had added the 4th and bought that one too (or just adjusted the total for the 1-3 items and sent lot 4 as well - much easier).

Seems they did not do so and thus lost out.

I never package anything until the deal is done and I have the buyer's name and address.

Mind you, I did once pack up a parcel of items and then realise I'd left out one small one so had to undo it all, put that item in, and then package it all up again.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Robert Stokes said:

I never package anything until the deal is done and I have the buyer's name and address.

Mind you, I did once pack up a parcel of items and then realise I'd left out one small one so had to undo it all, put that item in, and then package it all up again.

If I'm selling a few things I'll usually pack things up as soon as I get a bid on an item, as it saves having to do loads of packing if several items all end & sell at a similar time (e.g. Sunday evening).  I also put a small identifier* on each parcel so I can remember what's in it....

(*  Being careful not to reveal what's actually in the parcel.  Writing "Rolex" and then wondering why it got "lost" in the post isn't a good idea)

edit:  Not that I even own a Rolex, let alone flog 'em on ebay....

Edited by polybear

7 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

On one occasion a few years back I was selling some TT gauge items and a chap in Australia asked if I could help.  Because of the time difference and the fact I'd set the selling times to try and maximise UK sales, he was getting outbid all the time when he would normally be asleep.

He clearly doesn't understand how Ebay's proxy bidding works.

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Crosland said:

He clearly doesn't understand how Ebay's proxy bidding works.

Not sure you can say that for certain.  I don't use it as I don't want ebay bidding in a manner that suits them rather than a manner that suits me.

This is what a sniping service is made for, just set your maximum bid and the sniping service places it a second or so before the auction ends automatically, that way you find out when you wake up if you one that auction that finished at 3 in the morning.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/11/2019 at 08:41, Paul80 said:

This is what a sniping service is made for, just set your maximum bid and the sniping service places it a second or so before the auction ends automatically, that way you find out when you wake up if you one that auction that finished at 3 in the morning.

Or just place a normal bid several hours before, with the maximum you're prepared to pay?

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Or just place a normal bid several hours before, with the maximum you're prepared to pay?

Setting everyone (including the seller's mates) up to chip away so you either don't win at all or pay more than necessary.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Setting everyone (including the seller's mates) up to snip away so you either don't win at all or pay more than necessary.

You place an automatic bid of your maximum, so your top price isn't visible to other bidders. If they dont bid above it you get it for a smidgen over the next highest bid. However the fact you have an automatic bid is visible, and other bidders may test it to see if it's higher than their own maximum.

• RMweb Premium

Think my earlier post here was badly written so have removed it.

I've given up bidding early as always end up getting outbid at what I'm prepared to pay (based on watching similar items) but it may work for others.

Edited by Hal Nail

On 10/11/2019 at 11:50, cessna152towser said:

The buyer had been successful bidder on three lots comprising some twenty wagons.  He was interested in buying a fourth lot and I agreed a buy-it-now price with him and added this option to my listing.   Within minutes he messaged that he had clicked the buy-it-now option and the top of my eBay page also had the little message box "Paid - Post Now".    Everything was carefully packed yesterday evening and ready to post on Monday.   I then find this morning that lot four was paid by a different person and has to go somewhere else.  I checked with my buyer and it seems he clicked the buy-it-now on lot four but apparently did not instantly follow through with payment or "request total".  Someone else must have clicked buy-it-now a few moments later and paid immediately.  So I have spent much of this morning unpacking everything to find the lot four items, then re-pack them all, lots 1 to 3 for one buyer and lot 4 to the other. Thankfully I have an understanding wife who helped with the unpacking and re-packing.  I'd hesitate before agreeing a buy-it-now option in future.

I recently has a situation with an Australian buyer, I had failed to take off the Global Shipping facility (have since gone into my settings and cancelled it completely) so I could not invoice for all 3 items. Only two

eBay's solution was for me to cancel the order and relist as a buy it now item, but instead of buy it now I relisted it as an auction but added a buy it now option, the listing was at a stupid price, but I told the buyer to offer the winning bid amount. This way I could control who bought the item and protect the original buyer who was in a different zone.

• Like 1

You also have to watch out for the sneaky ones who bid high to see what the current high bidder has bid, then immediately withdraws their bid, kind of makes a mockery of your high bid being hidden from others. 

I know when I get them doing it on things I am selling I just add them to my blocked bidders list, so they don't get a second chance to play games. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/11/2019 at 11:50, cessna152towser said:

Absolutely nothing to do with this thread but I thought I'd seen that name some where..

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:07, Robert Stokes said:

In an envelope and stick it (well) to the parcel ;)

Don't ask me how I know :P 

Edited by Sir TophamHatt

23 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Setting everyone (including the seller's mates) up to chip away so you either don't win at all or pay more than necessary.

If the sellers mates win, it'll only fall back down to the largest non-mate bid anyway.

But then if everyone just bid once at the price they'd be prepared to pay, ebay would work a lot better.

I'd be interested to see how the dynamics would change if everyone was allowed ONE bid only, especially as it will automatically place your bid at the cheapest.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

If the sellers mates win, it'll only fall back down to the largest non-mate bid anyway.

But then if everyone just bid once at the price they'd be prepared to pay, ebay would work a lot better.

I'd be interested to see how the dynamics would change if everyone was allowed ONE bid only, especially as it will automatically place your bid at the cheapest.

The sellers wouldn't be nearly as happy...  :(

On 13/11/2019 at 11:59, Hal Nail said:

Forget the sellers mates, if you enter the bidding process too early then you are giving anyone else who is interested in the item a head start. If you are unable to bid very close to the end time then use a sniping tool. This solves both the mates issue and showing your hand early to other bidders

I don't bother using sniping tools, firstly if I eather cannot bid at that time or miss bidding then so what, another item will follow at some point.

Secondly I look for items at keen prices, so not interested in bidding wars.        

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, hayfield said:

Forget the sellers mates, if you enter the bidding process too early then you are giving anyone else who is interested in the item a head start. If you are unable to bid very close to the end time then use a sniping tool. This solves both the mates issue and showing your hand early to other bidders

I don't bother using sniping tools, firstly if I eather cannot bid at that time or miss bidding then so what, another item will follow at some point.

Secondly I look for items at keen prices, so not interested in bidding wars.        

Yeah I said something similar yesterday but was hungry and it came over a bit aggressive so I removed it!

I think a lot of people dabble, so they see something they fancy and place a bid or two at £1 more than the current winning bid. Then they walk away and many don't come back. If you've bid by proxy at an early point, anyone doing this will push your bid up. I've seen someone place separate bids (not proxy) in £1 increments 15 times before giving up!

On top of that there will always be someone willing to pay more than you - If you've only given them 5 seconds they cant!

I don't profess to know for sure why it should make any difference but I've placed exactly the same amount by proxy early and late for the same product and early has never worked for me whereas with patience eventually you will get it at a reasonable price bidding late on.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1