Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold

Question for Accurascale:

Just looking at 37402 and wondering whether I really need to pre-order a 5th Accurascale 37! Anyway I notice your model has oval buffers at both ends (also mentioned in the description) whereas the real loco has oval at number one and squared off at number 2 end. Thought I should let you know (I have had a good look on Flickr both 2022 and also 2018 pictures. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Andy7 said:

Question for Accurascale:

Just looking at 37402 and wondering whether I really need to pre-order a 5th Accurascale 37! Anyway I notice your model has oval buffers at both ends (also mentioned in the description) whereas the real loco has oval at number one and squared off at number 2 end. Thought I should let you know (I have had a good look on Flickr both 2022 and also 2018 pictures. 

Well spotted indeed Andy :) It's on our list for the production models, samples of which should be in hand shortly :) 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, McC said:

Well spotted indeed Andy :) It's on our list for the production models, samples of which should be in hand shortly :) 

Nice one. I nearly put, I’m sure you already have it covered.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, young37215 said:

Around April 1985, there are a bunch of undated pictures on Flickr from Spannerman showing the loco on Eastfield after painting. 

Brilliant, thanks. class37.co.uk goes a bit quiet on 027 between early 85 and very late 85. That’s definitely an option to re-number. I’d completely forgotten about the Sapnnerman Flickr site and seem to have now lost an hour and half of my time when I was supposed to be doing things!

8 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

But the caption says that is its second paint in large logo and the photo info says taken January 2013. 

Roy

The depot was demolished early 90’s….. wasn’t rebuilt till the 2000’s for those pesky horrible DMU things….

Just watched a video of a Bachmann grey refurb  posted on Youtube by "carguy123"

The reason I comment on this is because the DCC controls of lights and sound are very very good and it is a pleasure to see a DCC loco controlled and driven very realistically, and I would like to see him or her drive the new A/s 37s in the same style. 

Unfortunately cannot post a link but if you go to Youtube and search class 37 railfreight DCC sound you should find a model of LLG 37694. 

2 hours ago, Free At Last said:

This one...

Yes.  That is the one.  Thanks.  I didn't intentionally want to "crosscompany" with this post, but felt the youtuber deserved wider coverage as an example of what the A/s products will be like - and more particularly sound like when driven nicely.

I’m not sure how that’s relating to the accurascale product ? Unless has same chip and speaker ?

And is it really that realistic ….excessive horn use ? And I thought these things had to build up air pressure before just moving off , that was start and seconds later off it went .

However I will agreee the sound itself ain’t bad 

Edited by rob D2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

I’m not sure how that’s relating to the accurascale product ? Unless has same chip and speaker ?

And is it really that realistic ….excessive horn use ? And I thought these things had to build up air pressure before just moving off , that was start and seconds later off it went .

However I will agreee the sound itself ain’t bad 

59 minutes ago, blueeighties said:

That sounds like bog standard factory issue listening  to the horn and brakes. Tail lights not even turned off when hauling stock. 

I was rather feebly trying to comment on the driving style of the loco, rather than the fact it was a probably bog standard decoder ion a non Accurascale product, and assuming the A/s 37, driven like that would be really really nice.  One of the biggest turnoffs for me in model railways is to see trains careering around and crashing into rolling stock on the pretext of coupling to it. Adding sound to locos means they locos can make totally unprototypical sounds, whilst hurtling around. 

In this video I feel that loco is being handled really well, and is hopefully a great portent for the forthcoming A/s models,

Yes,  I agree that the tail lights were not turned off after the loco was backed up onto it's train, but that is withi nthe limitations of the decoder.  I would like to think that the latest generations of model from A/s, Bachmann Cavalex et all have the ability to turn the tail lights off remotely without having to lift the loco off the track and mess around with dipswitches. From the era I model perhaps the taillights will be independently switchable, as I come from the time when drivers (or secondmen) only switched one on in normal operations, and before locos were modfied to turn both on and off at the same time. 

EDIT

Just checked the spec of the A/s class 31 and that is going to have independently switchable tail lights - a big tick from me.

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 2

makes sense . On the flip side you have sams trains and his obsession with creeping ! i never saw many locos creeping unless coupling up - it's a job and people want to FO as soon as they can 

Edited by rob D2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, rob D2 said:

makes sense . On the flip side you have sams trains and his obsession with creeping ! i never saw many locos creeping unless coupling up - it's a job and people want to FO as soon as they can 

Yebbut right.  Don't forget you can only go through the "daleks" at the power station at 0.5 mph which is why they needed SSC.  I dread to think what Sam will make of the Cavalex 56 creep !!!!!!

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I’ve never seen shunting done by creeping, it always seems to be done  ‘purposefully’

• Agree 6

3 hours ago, Covkid said:

Yebbut right.  Don't forget you can only go through the "daleks" at the power station at 0.5 mph which is why they needed SSC.  I dread to think what Sam will make of the Cavalex 56 creep !!!!!!

That’s ok I haven’t room to model ironbridge power station ! What’s up with the 56 crawl ? Is it no good ?

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

That’s ok I haven’t room to model ironbridge power station ! What’s up with the 56 crawl ? Is it no good ?

I don't think it's been demonstrated yet, so it's probably just a comment as to Sam's approach to such things.

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Ian J. said:

I don't think it's been demonstrated yet, so it's probably just a comment as to Sam's approach to such things.

Lurching slightly off topic, I'm guessing due to the friction in all of the moving parts isn't your average steam loco likely to have a minimum speed, which once you get below it will slowly grind to a halt, hence shunting being undertaken in a spirited manner?

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Covkid said:

I was rather feebly trying to comment on the driving style of the loco, rather than the fact it was a probably bog standard decoder ion a non Accurascale product, and assuming the A/s 37, driven like that would be really really nice.  One of the biggest turnoffs for me in model railways is to see trains careering around and crashing into rolling stock on the pretext of coupling to it. Adding sound to locos means they locos can make totally unprototypical sounds, whilst hurtling around. 

In this video I feel that loco is being handled really well, and is hopefully a great portent for the forthcoming A/s models,

Yes,  I agree that the tail lights were not turned off after the loco was backed up onto it's train, but that is withi nthe limitations of the decoder.  I would like to think that the latest generations of model from A/s, Bachmann Cavalex et all have the ability to turn the tail lights off remotely without having to lift the loco off the track and mess around with dipswitches. From the era I model perhaps the taillights will be independently switchable, as I come from the time when drivers (or secondmen) only switched one on in normal operations, and before locos were modfied to turn both on and off at the same time. 

EDIT

Just checked the spec of the A/s class 31 and that is going to have independently switchable tail lights - a big tick from me.

Hi Covkid,

Our 37s will also have independently switchable tail lights too!

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

Single or double tail lights for the older ones? ;)

Or an oil tail lamp (which could be a very interesting piece of manufacturing 😇)

4 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

Lurching slightly off topic, I'm guessing due to the friction in all of the moving parts isn't your average steam loco likely to have a minimum speed, which once you get below it will slowly grind to a halt, hence shunting being undertaken in a spirited manner?

Not really - the while point about loose shunting was the need to get sufficient impetus into the wagons so that they ran to where they were wanted when they were uncoupled.  But generally shunting was hardly a slow speed activity except when going into buildings or awkward sidings.  Ideally with a large raft of wagons you got it moving and kept it moving at a fairly constant, brisk speed, to get the cuts going fast enough as they were cut off.  In one of the yards where I worked the Shunters in the down side yard seemed at their happiest when shunting a raft of 50 wagons because although they couldn't see everything they were supposed to see they just kept going ahead making the  cuts without stopping .

The problem is that a model railway doesn't allow you to do that because wagons don't have sufficient impetus due to lack of mass - so you can't really loose shunt.  But even if the loco remains attached the Shunters aren't going to mess about as they need to get the job done.  Derfinitely no fun being out there at night with teh rain running down the back of your neck trying to hold a handlamp and a shunting pole at the same - a great incentive to get done and back to the cabin for breakfast (at around 02.00 - 02.30). 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Covkid,

Cheers!

Fran 

12 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

Single or double tail lights for the older ones? ;)

Hopefully singles available for at least the BR green and blue ones - ie before it was mandatory to have double tail lights.  From memory on the EE locos the driver's switch panel above their left ear switched the tail lights at the opposite end, whereas on BR locos (Sulzers) the cab you were in switched the lights at that end.   

Of course, most of the locos were modified for the switch to switch both lights on probably from the mid to latye 1980s. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Covkid,

Cheers!

Fran 

Thanks Fran.  Great news.  You just need to put out the announcement for the centre headcode batch in BR green and BR blue. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Chris56057 said:

Seems to have gone a bit quiet on the 37 front? Batch 1 can't be far from shipping now?

Hi Chris,

Factory reports that we're still on schedule so should be seeing production samples in the next couple of weeks for batch one and then delivery on the back of that. Like always, once we have an update we will post it here.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1