Blackmoor, Lynton & Barnstaple Railway in 009 (c 1930) -East Grinstead done , next show is Taunton

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Today I have been doing a bit of gardening on the layout.

I used a bit of ballast from the garden rsi,  crushed it with a hammer then used the smaller pieces to form the edge of the flower beds by the gents and also to the road side of the station. Once set I added earth represented by using some suitable flock. Once that was dry the bushes were planted along with some flowering ones. It's added a little colour to the station.

Also 1 mm magnets were fitted into  holes drilled in various locations on the platforms. The station master also has one of these magnets fitted. This enables the figures to be moved about the station. More will be treated In due course.

20220615_140948.jpg

20220615_193501.jpg

20220615_193439.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RailWest said:

I like the idea of the magnets for the 'moveable' figures, would never have thought of that myself :-) But how do you spot the magnet locations when you are putting the figures in place?

I have left them unpainted so you can spot them if you know where to look but they dont really stand out to the casual eye. I saw this on a Youtube clip, so its not my idea. I would put a link here but I cant find the video at present.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Are you going to put lamps in that signal against the sky, or will they reflect on the backscene?

They all have SMLED's wired in them. I have yet to connect them up but have been tested prior to fitting onto the layout. I hadnt considered that they might reflect on the backscene though.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

From practical experience if they are at realistic levels it’ll probably hardly notice but we tend to have them a lot brighter than they were in real life because they’d be barely visible in daylight. 
If you kept the flame low they would last for two weeks and be perfectly visible at night.  Lamping on MW12 in 2001

Marchwood Signalbox 21/3/2001

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

From practical experience if they are at realistic levels it’ll probably hardly notice but we tend to have them a lot brighter than they were in real life because they’d be barely visible in daylight. 
If you kept the flame low they would last for two weeks and be perfectly visible at night.  Lamping on MW12 in 2001

Marchwood Signalbox 21/3/2001

Yes mindful that they don't appear bright during daylight. One reason why I haven't put lights in the past but was up for the challenge this time. I haven't been up the ladders but know a few who have and they were legitimately allowed to.

Today the motorbikes were fixed in place by the bridge. I am going to recreate a scene in a photo with the bikes,  Policeman sheep and farm workers. I have the sheep but some of the figures are on back order. Fingers crossed that they arrive in time to paint.

Also the hotel base has now been completed so that it can sit on top of the fiddleyard but bolt into it for transportation.

I have also taken the first photo for printing to see how it looks on the backscene. Needs a lower perspective photo but at least it gives me a start point to work from.

Oh,  and the signal now has a ladder.

20220616_135236.jpg

20220616_135221.jpg

20220616_135255.jpg

20220616_155106.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

The hotel will sit ontop of the fiddleyard at shows. I intend to add the interior at some point.

Last night the locos were loaded with coal. Only one has crew and sound but the will be dealt with in due course. Most of the coaches now have passengers.

Not much will happen in the next week as my Czech layout will be tested ready for its first outing in over two years.

20220617_152357.jpg

• Like 7

• roundhouse changed the title to Blackmoor, Lynton & Barnstaple Railway in 009 - circa 1930 - Locos being loaded with coal for their first exhibition
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Today work resumed on Blackmoor.

I obtained the faster servos at the Perth show from Dingo Servo Mounts. They do some really nice mounting kits although the standard one dies require deeper boards than I use. There is a mini mount with mini servos that I may well try but as I have made my own on this layout I have just started swapping the slower servos out.

I am having trouble with the DCC module at the moment so I may have to make a temporary switch panel to work straight off the servo board till I can sort the DCC module.

Also the Modelu figures arrived over the weekend so they have now been painted and the first one is sitting on the Barnstaple bound platform seat awaiting for the first train at the Bluebell model weekend. She has been glued in place as not a lot of grip for a magnet on the seat as its brass but the station master is mobile.

The sheep dogs,  sheep, policeman and shepherd are ready to be fixed onto the bridge.

20220628_162647.jpg

• Like 10

I'm puzzled that you've painted the Up Home down rod white (can't see the on on the Down Starting), as I would have expected them to be black (or at least dark grey), as you have done with the Up Starting. Have you found a photo which shows otherwise perhaps?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, RailWest said:

I'm puzzled that you've painted the Up Home down rod white (can't see the on on the Down Starting), as I would have expected them to be black (or at least dark grey), as you have done with the Up Starting. Have you found a photo which shows otherwise perhaps?

I painted it white so it did not stand out too much but hadn't given it much thought . The up home starting signal post is grey concrete so could see that was a dark colour.

I can soon paint all the lattice post rods a darker colour.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The bus has gone and the sheep are crossing the bridge. I have used a photo to recreate the scene but do need to get more sheep, farm workers, a boy sitting on thr Bridge parapet and two women standing by the opposite parapet but this willhave to do for this weekend.

Also the hotel has been added. It doesn't quite blend in with the backscene but that will be a future task one I have built the petrol garage.

The signals are now fully working via the DCC control board and will be added into JMRI when I set up the layout over the next couple of days before it is loaded on Friday evening for its first show.

20220629_165423.jpg

20220629_165436.jpg

• Like 8

• roundhouse changed the title to Blackmoor, Lynton & Barnstaple Railway in 009 - circa 1930 - Sheep, farm workers and a Policeman
  • RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Must say I'm looking forward to seeing your layout at the weekend. Where will it be on the railway? 

https://www.bluebell-railway.com/model-railway-weekend/

I’m assuming ‘Blackmore’ is actually just a typo so Horsted Keynes for Blackmoor by the look of it. 

CF3B5CC8-DD43-415A-ACC9-13B62FF774A4.thumb.jpeg.8be9c5e9041036024a32c73cf839a9c4.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

https://www.bluebell-railway.com/model-railway-weekend/

I’m assuming ‘Blackmore’ is actually just a typo so Horsted Keynes for Blackmoor by the look of it. 

CF3B5CC8-DD43-415A-ACC9-13B62FF774A4.thumb.jpeg.8be9c5e9041036024a32c73cf839a9c4.jpeg

Yes I noticed that on the plans they emailed us. I guess that its because Blackmore Vale is there, so they possibly just took it as the same name.

In Horsted Keynes carraige shed much where we were the first time that we took a layout to the Bluebell many years ago.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

As I'm sure everyone knows, 21C123 was originally named Blackmoor Vale, the name being changed in 1950, by which time it had become 34023.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Another full day testing the layout. Unfortunately despite rewiring the Megapoints DCC module it still won't work yet will work if it is the only thing connected to the command station. So more investigation is required but being out of time I have connected toggle switches to the Megapoints servo board. So we have working signals for the weekend.

I also obtained a traction engine to hide the incomplete section of backscene. The traction engine was built in 1928 so fits in with the layout time frame.

All locos performed well each running for an hour or more through the turnouts in both directions with very few derailments. I didn't need to turn the locos as they all faced Lynton.

The layout is now loaded ready for the trip to Horsted Keynes tomorrow.

20220701_151258.jpg

20220701_151320.jpg

20220701_151212.jpg

20220701_151149.jpg

• Like 10