Hornby Freightliner Flats

• RMweb Gold

Those are fantastic.

Looking at some of the containers done by Triang-Hornby back in the day, in addition to the Manchester Lines one, I have a Fyffes banana 30 footer and I see that they did Containerways and Pickford liveries as well. Were any of these accurate to any degree, does any one know? Photographic evidence of earlier container trains seems very thin on the ground.

4 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

Those are fantastic.

Looking at some of the containers done by Triang-Hornby back in the day, in addition to the Manchester Lines one, I have a Fyffes banana 30 footer and I see that they did Containerways and Pickford liveries as well. Were any of these accurate to any degree, does any one know? Photographic evidence of earlier container trains seems very thin on the ground.

If you do some simple Googling you will soon find them.

Containerway and Pickford were common - it was Pickfords dispute that held up the development of Freightliner. I'll admit the F banana were new to me. https://picclick.co.uk/Fyffes-Container-Southampton-Docks-1969-Original-Kodachrome-Comes-123297915690.html

There are lots of F banana container photos in a later livery.

Paul

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

Guys, IMO your boxes are looking as good as the Bachmann offerings - especially because the liveries/brandings are more accurate for the era. I believe the Bachmann FGA maritime are not prototypical as they are a mixture of old and modern in the same pack.

Another reason for me to dig out my old Hornby flats and get cracking - thanks for the inspiration!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Those are fantastic.

Hi Barry, just done a quick google and it seems Fyffes do use containers so im guessing there may be a basis for the triang one but i havnt found it. From searching for the Scotch Beef ones i have found a pic of a 20ft container in use so perhaps the banana one was 20ft? 

Corgi do a Pickfords lorry and a flat bed with what looks like a 20ft container on the back so this one could be real too

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273925255958

Certainly looks like a container that would go on Freightliner flat, even down to the white triangles at the top and bottom in the middle of the sides.

I think Hornby were pretty good at representing the different liveries even though real pics are hard to find there does seem to be a basis for them.

Quite tempted with that pickfords livery now!

They also did a Tartan Arrow one, there were Tartan Arrow container but were a different design, @Gibbo675has a plan to create some i think but it may be down the list as we are getting a bit containered out!

Hope this helps

James

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Hi Barry, just done a quick google and it seems Fyffes do use containers so im guessing there may be a basis for the triang one but i havnt found it. From searching for the Scotch Beef ones i have found a pic of a 20ft container in use so perhaps the banana one was 20ft? 

Corgi do a Pickfords lorry and a flat bed with what looks like a 20ft container on the back so this one could be real too

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273925255958

Certainly looks like a container that would go on Freightliner flat, even down to the white triangles at the top and bottom in the middle of the sides.

I think Hornby were pretty good at representing the different liveries even though real pics are hard to find there does seem to be a basis for them.

Quite tempted with that pickfords livery now!

They also did a Tartan Arrow one, there were Tartan Arrow container but were a different design, @Gibbo675has a plan to create some i think but it may be down the list as we are getting a bit containered out!

Hope this helps

James

Hi James,

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the boxes that Triang printed designs onto were based on 20' boxes but used the 30' boxes for they are flat sided rather than ribbed. Depending upon what research turns up it might mean cutting down the 99p specials form Peters Spares to make boxes that are anything like accurate as I have done with the OCL and Manchester Liners 20' boxes.

As yet my Ford boxes are only half done, Tartan Arrow is for another day, my reasons for not doing anything about them are getting to be too long to list with only nineteen Pullman cars, a class 82 and an unfinished Cartic-4 project to sort out for starters. Plus it has been sunny today and the motorbike shed is beckoning !

Gibbo.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

There's a 20 foot Pickfords container in some of my old Freightliner leaflets. Oddly enough it has horizontal ribs, superficially like the standard BR boxes but the ribs don't line up with those at all. Lima did Pickfords (along with Fyffes and Containerway) on one of their Freightliner flats.

I wouldn't be surprised to find Pickford's among the  earlier Freightliner users, as they had been part of the British Transport Commission alongside BR.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

27 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the boxes that Triang printed designs onto were based on 20' boxes but used the 30' boxes for they are flat sided rather than ribbed. Depending upon what research turns up it might mean cutting down the 99p specials form Peters Spares to make boxes that are anything like accurate as I have done with the OCL and Manchester Liners 20' boxes.

As yet my Ford boxes are only half done, Tartan Arrow is for another day, my reasons for not doing anything about them are getting to be too long to list with only nineteen Pullman cars, a class 82 and an unfinished Cartic-4 project to sort out for starters. Plus it has been sunny today and the motorbike shed is beckoning !

Gibbo.

Aye id put money on them being 20ft too, more research required on them but Hornby probably were pretty on for the time.

Definately a project for another day, its. Should be chopping my 99p specials up this weekend, at last!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

I wouldn't be surprised to find Pickford's among the  earlier Freightliner users, as they had been part of the British Transport Commission alongside BR.

Ah yes, id forgotten that, id say its nailed on that they had containers then. Id imagine the Corgi depiction is reasonable accurate as well.

• Like 1

On 20/03/2020 at 14:17, BernardTPM said:

Here's a 20ft Pickfords container from a 1967 Freightliner booklet:

PickfordsContainer.jpg.7766e4487e88c72035408af725e2d668.jpg

Ribbed, similar to the BR ones, but closer spacing.

Excellent pic! Cheers Bernard.

I seem to have aquired 5 more bixes from Ebay tonight including 2 Hornby Pickfords..

Cheers

James

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Stills from a dvd of railways in Ireland - from an RPSI trip around the Belfast Dock lines in the 1960s.  What do we see in the background...

IMG_1458.jpg.803bb2fdc2b52cd1f8bcfe9063d7eb09.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg.6a1ffc5123b7cfd70c80321c5b416b4a.jpg

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

On test in the shed we were finding that the Freightliner flats were tending to derail on curves - especially in the helix, which is a particularly inconvenient location.

The couplings were Kadees fixed to the ends of the flats.

Because the Kadee coupling is mounted on the wagon end and not the bogie, when cornering, the coupling alignment is offset from the track centreline.

This causes a sideways force to be applied on the coupling attachment, which pushes the wheels sideways against the rails.  This can lead to derailment at track imperfections or changes in camber etc. 

I have now fabricated bogie mounted coupling brackets from plasticard that are screw- fixed to the bogie at one end with a magnetic coupling screw-attached at the other end.

D66D0CDE-F63B-4600-972C-7BBB2F04561C.jpeg.ca1dba16cce766c06407f4730c6e32ba.jpeg

FB18853D-B264-4C95-94CC-0233202D5ACE.jpeg.1a382bc396b6b9d3afc2eecfb6c2b313.jpeg

9360D385-6D97-4B62-9701-F5604100BFCB.jpeg.08c9dddf1ce4ef63f9132180a5cb96f5.jpeg

03F8B68E-C3E2-4ACD-89B2-EE98BF4C8A72.jpeg.6831c410db87ca3e3a85bbf69e730220.jpeg

D01773BA-56DE-4C94-9E5C-F5198B4FD10C.jpeg.d4e63654ee285ce510f64eab88484f9b.jpeg

EEF0479A-8181-4EE8-A6D4-34666A38AD56.jpeg.216ae30e445409768f40317cc1c472f7.jpeg

Tested on 3rd radius curves (nothing tighter than this in the shed) the new bogie-mounted couplings stay on the track centreline.

8099AC77-D90D-4783-AB9E-2AFF36D5334F.jpeg.cf368332251193eab06f32206f5d396a.jpeg

Unlike the end-mounted Kadees

BEF9E107-615C-4D99-8E61-96F610DA9DEC.jpeg.3835fb745b4ca708d4bd19cb6e9244bb.jpeg

Cheers

Darius

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

All ten completed with coupling brackets sprayed black and re-attached.

E0F7E1D5-5F8E-49B8-BA4C-FCDD1A1982F0.jpeg.344b150d85b6dc03ee4446a825f15716.jpeg

4C7252E2-E778-454F-A7F3-1412A9A6FB18.jpeg.4ad3866110c2a6e6cb0553812d76c7e7.jpeg

Got another 10+ to modify.  Fortunately I have obtained a couple of S-Kits conversion sets, which will ease the process.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

You are correct in that it is an Anhydrous Ammonia tanker but it is an Irish one - as made by Irish Freight Models.

The intention is to replace the bogies and remove and replace the peeling decals.

Sometime...

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43

Between your good self and @Gibbo675 there is a wealth of info on how to improve the old Triang/Hornby freightliner wagons, but a couple of questions:

1) Could I leave the original coupling extension bracket on the bogies to attach a Keen magnet coupler to, rather than fashion a replacement, or is there a reason to make the new bracket?

2) How did you model the end buffers without access to an S-Kit set of parts?

Thanks

Steve S

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Between your good self and @Gibbo675 there is a wealth of info on how to improve the old Triang/Hornby freightliner wagons, but a couple of questions:

1) Could I leave the original coupling extension bracket on the bogies to attach a Keen magnet coupler to, rather than fashion a replacement, or is there a reason to make the new bracket?

2) How did you model the end buffers without access to an S-Kit set of parts?

Thanks

Steve S

Hi Steve

I don't know about couplings as I made up solid bars and screw links for couplings however the buffer end were made up from plasticard. I'm not sure that the ones I did were 100% accurate but they are near enough for me.

Gibbo.