The London Festival of Railway Modelling- 21 & 22 March 2020

BRMExhibitions

• RMweb Gold

Unless the Government issues specific instructions that result in the event being unable to go ahead, and except for rampant press speculation there isn't any indication they will do that at this stage, people need to take personal responsibility over the decision to attend or not. It's not fair to expect the organisers to make that decision for you. 

Don't feel well? Suspect you have symptoms? In a high risk category? Worried about catching it?

The choice should be obvious if you are answering yes to any of those questions. 

Tom.  

Edited by TomE
  • Like 1
  • Agree 15

• RMweb Premium

Fully agree with this, let individuals decide what to do rather than impose draconian measures that most will just ignore anyway.  The Government's current Three Wise Monkey's approach (from the PM at least) means that they will probably do no more than issue advice anyway.

• Agree 3

The government is about to make a further announcement this afternoon. Interestingly the Liberal Democrats have cancelled their national conference at York this weekend. I suspect that decision was based on expectations of restrictions likely to be introduced. 

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, fezza said:

The government is about to make a further announcement this afternoon. Interestingly the Liberal Democrats have cancelled their national conference at York this weekend. I suspect that decision was based on expectations of restrictions likely to be introduced. 

Think that's because the phone box next to the minster is occupied! 

• Funny 7

My mate is involved with the York conference and they were expecting 2000 people. Conferences are a massive fundraiser for the parties and wouldn't be cancelled unless there is a very pressing reason.

Not sure a railway show however brilliant can go ahead in these circumstances - especially when you consider the demographic of those attending. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, fezza said:

Might it just be common sense ie not a good idea to have lots of people coming from all over the Country to one place , then disseminate again?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, PMP said:

Its not as straightforward as that. TFL has a link through to the DVLA data base which allows you to put in your vehicle reg. Put that in and it will tell you if you need to pay either. I did with two vehicles, both 54 plate, one a 2.0D estate, the other a 2.0 petrol car, neither 'pretty old'. The diesel car needs to pay the petrol doesn't. To save a few quid from a fine, use the link.

Are you sure you've checked the right link? Sounds like you're looking at the ULEZ regulations, not the LEZ ones, which as @tc said, only applies to commercial vehicles. My 05 plate Diesel car would, like yours, have to pay the ULEZ, but not the LEZ. Ally pally is in the LEZ zone, but not the ULEZ one

• RMweb Premium

Ally Pally is indeed in the LEZ but one must note the boundary of the ULEZ if crossing central-ish London.  Coming around without approaching the ULEZ would not be a problem.  

Edited by Gwiwer

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Are you sure you've checked the right link? Sounds like you're looking at the ULEZ regulations, not the LEZ ones, which as @tc said, only applies to commercial vehicles. 

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/low-emission-zone/check-if-your-vehicle-is-affected

Used this one. Just rechecked and same again. Also used another reg, similar type 2.0D which was ok. I agree re LEZ map it should be ok. There’s  possibly a data problem with first vehicle in the system, not a problem not to use that one though!

2 hours ago, fezza said:

My mate is involved with the York conference and they were expecting 2000 people. Conferences are a massive fundraiser for the parties and wouldn't be cancelled unless there is a very pressing reason.

Not sure a railway show however brilliant can go ahead in these circumstances - especially when you consider the demographic of those attending. 

I don’t see why not. Let people make their own decisions based on their own circumstances. Are you someone in a high risk demographic with underlying health problems? Simple answer: don’t attend. But don’t force people who are fully fit and wish to attend to stay away by cancelling the event entirely.

Such an event takes months and countless hours of hours of planning.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, bart2day said:

I don’t see why not. Let people make their own decisions based on their own circumstances. Are you someone in a high risk demographic with underlying health problems? Simple answer: don’t attend. But don’t force people who are fully fit and wish to attend to stay away by cancelling the event entirely.

Such an event takes months and countless hours of hours of planning.

The whole problem with this virus is that people can have it and pass it on to others while they still feel fully fit.

But, yes, clearly better that people in high risk groups (myself included) avoid such gatherings. Difficult though, when living alone as I do, to completely avoid the outside world.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PMP said:

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/low-emission-zone/check-if-your-vehicle-is-affected

Used this one. Just rechecked and same again. Also used another reg, similar type 2.0D which was ok. I agree re LEZ map it should be ok. There’s  possibly a data problem with first vehicle in the system, not a problem not to use that one though!

Possibly it thinks it's a commercial then? With my car it says "LEZ does not apply as this is a car or motorcycle"

36 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

The whole problem with this virus is that people can have it and pass it on to others while they still feel fully fit.

The same is true of the common cold & flu, both of which are capable of killing depending on the host's condition.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, mevaman1 said:

The Scottish Government has just banned gatherings of over 500 people.  

I wonder how long it will take us to follow.

They won't do it.  Boris will continue his Three Wise Monkeys policy of advising but ultimately doing nothing other than dither...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, mevaman1 said:

The Scottish Government has just banned gatherings of over 500 people.  

I wonder how long it will take us to follow.

My bold.

As I understand the news reports the gathering of more than 500 people is "strongly advised against" as the Scottish Parliament might not (yet) have the emergency powers to impose an outright ban.  The organisers of affected events might find themselves in deep and uninsured water if they proceed against such advice however.  

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

They won't do it.  Boris will continue his Three Wise Monkeys policy of advising but ultimately doing nothing other than dither...

Sounds good to me. The Scottish ban (or strong advise against) gatherings of more than 500 is not science led. The UK government so far hasn’t made sure it’s decisions are science led.

5 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

My bold.

As I understand the news reports the gathering of more than 500 people is "strongly advised against" as the Scottish Parliament might not (yet) have the emergency powers to impose an outright ban.  The organisers of affected events might find themselves in deep and uninsured water if they proceed against such advice however.  

Why would they find themselves in ‘uninsured water’? I don’t think it’s possible to sue the organisers of an event because someone’s contracted Coronavirus there.

Edited by bart2day
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd wait for the Govt conference . Not for the first time Ms Sturgeon has said something coming out of the Cobra meeting ahead of the official response . Not that shes grandstanding or anything!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, bart2day said:

Why would they find themselves in ‘uninsured water’?

Their Public Liability Insurance might be null and void if the Government has "cancelled" (i.e. strongly advised against) events taking place on health grounds.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Just seen the new Government advice. Don't go on a cruise, overseas school trips banned (all been binned by now surely?) and self isolate for just seven days if you think you have new symptoms. 

That's it....

Carry on as you are then....

• Like 2