60s Industrial Steam (i.e. non-BR)

• RMweb Gold

Another CEGB loco and one of the last industrial steam locos at work in Britain (eventually entering preservation in 1994) 'Castle Donington Power Station No.1'. RSH No.7817 of 1954.

Photo likely dates from the 1970s, the condition of the loco appears excellent.
(yes I know this is the 1960s thread, I can't verify the date so am playing it safe ;) )

478950013_RSH78171954CEGBCastleDoningtonPowerStationNo.1.jpg.6dc043bc1c8739fbec19ca6b1cf49179.jpg

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Good morning everyone, today we have two cleaned up scans of RSH 0-4-0STs. The first is 7042/1941 'AJAX' (Yard No.361) which I believe worked all its life at Chatham Dockyard and outlasted the rest of the steam fleet, continuing to operate there to this day. The photo is likely late 60s/early 70s.

1588549800_RSH70421941AJAXChathamDockyard-YardNo_361.jpg.c1fac07a0dd588f3ed9205ed0aad8ba5.jpg

The second loco did not have such a happy ending, this is No.7042/1945 at Elswick Gas Works in Newcastle in Newcastle Gas Board (I assume) livery. I believe this is 1969 and it was scrapped the following year.

289215937_RSH72431945ElswickGasWorksNewcastle1969scrapped1970.jpg.ac7dba75a54c5992847c9bfe4f6b9d75.jpg

One thing I've noticed about industrials from this period (and this class of RSH in particular) is the tendency to paint the smokebox sides (if not the whole smokebox) in the body colour.

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Good morning everyone, today we have two cleaned up scans of RSH 0-4-0STs. The first is 7042/1941 'AJAX' (Yard No.361) which I believe worked all its life at Chatham Dockyard and outlasted the rest of the steam fleet, continuing to operate there to this day. The photo is likely late 60s/early 70s.

1588549800_RSH70421941AJAXChathamDockyard-YardNo_361.jpg.c1fac07a0dd588f3ed9205ed0aad8ba5.jpg

The second loco did not have such a happy ending, this is No.7042/1945 at Elswick Gas Works in Newcastle in Newcastle Gas Board (I assume) livery. I believe this is 1969 and it was scrapped the following year.

289215937_RSH72431945ElswickGasWorksNewcastle1969scrapped1970.jpg.ac7dba75a54c5992847c9bfe4f6b9d75.jpg

One thing I've noticed about industrials from this period (and this class of RSH in particular) is the tendency to paint the smokebox sides (if not the whole smokebox) in the body colour.

I really thought the first shot was of a model at first glance.

Those little RSHs are lovely proportioned engines.  I think 7058 is still at the Gwili Railway; it was their main locomotive back in the late 80s (known as "Olwen").

Edited by Northmoor
Extra text
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

It looks like that is what is written. It would be interesting to know who wrote it as I have not seen it on any other locomotive from Area 8.

Frank is another on my 'to do" list being well travelled around the local area.

Not sure if it was originally purchased for the colliery or coke ovens at Glasshoughton it was on site in 1947. It's journey is a bit complex but it appears it moved to Newmarket in 1957/8. A short spell at Waterloo in 1961 and another back at Glasshoughton in '62 preceded a two year rebuild at the area workshop in 1964.  Spells at Wheldale and Peckfield followed before a return to Wheldale where it was scrapped on site in 1971.

First step will be to find someone who can do the very distinctive lettering!

Edited by doilum
Additional information
  • Like 2

On 09/06/2021 at 09:44, Corbs said:

Here's Ajax at Chatham Dockyard during a 'salute to the 1940s' event in September 2010. Ajax spent the day shuffling wagons around to my great delight as we only turned up by accident. We went to Chatham for some reason or another and I suggested to Ms Crompton that perhaps we could have a look at the Dockyard. On arrival it was all kicking off.

Ajax Chatham Dockyard 17 September 2010.jpg

Edited by Will Crompton
It was not a 'saute the 1940s' event!
  • Like 8

If anyone has any photos of Peckett Ackton Hall No.3 in action I would be interested to see them as part of the group trying* to overhaul this unique loco.

*(When we're not busy with all the other projects ongoing at Foxfield!)

1 hour ago, avonside1563 said:

If anyone has any photos of Peckett Ackton Hall No.3 in action I would be interested to see them as part of the group trying* to overhaul this unique loco.

*(When we're not busy with all the other projects ongoing at Foxfield!)

Amen to that. I did find a couple of photos from the immediate post war period in a black livery on the net, but cannot remember where. There are some very similar ones of Newdigate #3 which caused me to initially confuse them and ultimately build both.

Found it. Iñ one of your replies to my build saga!!!

Edited by doilum

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, doilum said:

It looks like that is what is written. It would be interesting to know who wrote it as I have not seen it on any other locomotive from Area 8.

Frank is another on my 'to do" list being well travelled around the local area.

Not sure if it was originally purchased for the colliery or coke ovens at Glasshoughton it was on site in 1947. It's journey is a bit complex but it appears it moved to Newmarket in 1957/8. A short spell at Waterloo in 1961 and another back at Glasshoughton in '62 preceded a two year rebuild at the area workshop in 1964.  Spells at Wheldale and Peckfield followed before a return to Wheldale where it was scrapped on site in 1971.

First step will be to find someone who can do the very distinctive lettering!

How was it moved between collieries ?  Was it hauled as part of a freight turn ?

Adrian

12 hours ago, figworthy said:

How was it moved between collieries ?  Was it hauled as part of a freight turn ?

Adrian

My understanding is that most of the moves would have been on BR metals under it's own steam. There is an official name for the permit required but I can't remember it! These moves would be probably been in the evening or weekend at quiet times. Whilst most of the moves are relatively short around the Castleford area, connections to Waterloo would require a trip into Leeds. The final move from Peckfield must have been just in time before the Garforth branch was closed in July 1969. This branch probably offered the connection to Waterloo but I would need to check some old railway maps of Leeds.

There was a previous thread on this topic. Try a Google search for ",NCB locomotives on BR main lines".

Edited by doilum
Additional information
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, doilum said:

My understanding is that most of the moves would have been on BR metals under it's own steam. There is an official name for the permit required but I can't remember it! These moves would be probably been in the evening or weekend at quiet times. Whilst most of the moves are relatively short around the Castleford area, connections to Waterloo would require a trip into Leeds. The final move from Peckfield must have been just in time before the Garforth branch was closed in July 1969. This branch probably offered the connection to Waterloo but I would need to check some old railway maps of Leeds.

There was a previous thread on this topic. Try a Google search for ",NCB locomotives on BR main lines".

Thanks

So far as I can tell, the connections to the Waterloo colliery came off the ex NER route somewhere around Neville Hill.  It was too far west to have a connection to the Ledston branch (Garforth - Castleford), nothing connected to that appears to have crossed the A642.

Adrian

16 minutes ago, figworthy said:

Thanks

So far as I can tell, the connections to the Waterloo colliery came off the ex NER route somewhere around Neville Hill.  It was too far west to have a connection to the Ledston branch (Garforth - Castleford), nothing connected to that appears to have crossed the A642.

Adrian

Agreed. I was thinking of the connection into Leeds via Garforth on the York line. The extreme western end of the Allerton Bower's Row branch was Primrose Hill at Swillington.

On 22/12/2019 at 16:38, Trev52A said:

After BR steam finished on Tyneside in September 1967 I began to explore my local area for something else to observe and photograph. The NCB line to Ravensworth Park Drift Mine, near the Team Valley Trading Estate, was a short cycle ride from my home at the time in Gateshead.

When I first arrived on the scene the usual working loco was a cute little 0-4-0ST (Peckett no 1748 of 1928), in a clean light green livery with the NCB number 66 and named 'Charles Nelson'. The following three pics were taken in 1968:

46026631_(135dS)NCBNo66TeamValley1968(TrevorErmel).jpg.2f4120e7584d1ea48e5a8de6fafbdfbd.jpg

No 66 propels its train of loaded coal wagons towards the viaduct over the Trading Estate. This area is now covered by the car park for 'Retail World'.

1346891926_(103c)NCBNo66TeamValley1968(TrevorErmel).jpg.cceb8b59ba085d3d29c91b1a5692dea9.jpg
No 66 starts the run over the viaduct. The loco propelled the wagons whichever direction it was travelling.

1296503019_(110cS)NCBNo66TeamValley(TrevorErmel).jpg.828c124e2a699eb6e2d78e7f9ddf369e.jpg

The viaduct crossed the main dual carriageway of Kingsway. There is now no trace of it, although remains of the approach embankments can still be found. 

More to come, including the next loco to arrive on the system and some views of the regular crew.

But feel free to add any pictures which fit the brief!

Trevor

Very interesting photos, thank you. In the background of the third the building looks a lot like the Thomas De La Rue print works which is at the south end of the Team Valley Estate. I visited the factory a few times in the late '80s and '90s, and had seen an aerial photo of the site in company documents which included a bit of what looked like a railway viaduct, but I could never get any confirmation from my employers, they thought you a bit suspect if you admitted to being interested in railways!

• Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

When then did the last steam 'Industrial' loco work over BR lines under its own steam?

This will probably not be the last but Austerity S134 aka Wheldale was recommissioned by Hunslet at Allerton Bywater in the late summer of 1981. It proved however too large to work under the screens and transfered to Wheldale colliery via the stump of the Garforth branch which was still under BR ownership and control.

My guess is that the answer will come from the other side of the Pennines.

Edited by doilum
Predictive text error
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 11/06/2021 at 22:01, Artless Bodger said:

Very interesting photos, thank you. In the background of the third the building looks a lot like the Thomas De La Rue print works which is at the south end of the Team Valley Estate. I visited the factory a few times in the late '80s and '90s, and had seen an aerial photo of the site in company documents which included a bit of what looked like a railway viaduct, but I could never get any confirmation from my employers, they thought you a bit suspect if you admitted to being interested in railways!

Hi AB - thank you for the kind comment. The De La Rue Factory was actually off the edge of the picture to the left, in front of the viaduct. I was looking north and their factory was to the south of the viaduct on the opposite side of the road to where I was standing. 

Trevor

• Thanks 1

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2021 at 14:24, Corbs said:

Another CEGB loco and one of the last industrial steam locos at work in Britain (eventually entering preservation in 1994) 'Castle Donington Power Station No.1'. RSH No.7817 of 1954.

Photo likely dates from the 1970s, the condition of the loco appears excellent.
(yes I know this is the 1960s thread, I can't verify the date so am playing it safe ;) )

478950013_RSH78171954CEGBCastleDoningtonPowerStationNo.1.jpg.6dc043bc1c8739fbec19ca6b1cf49179.jpg

Given the condition of the cars in the background (I am pretty sure the one on the right is a Ford Popular 103E; that on the left might, perhaps, be a Ford Anglia 100E), I would suspect that the date is more likely to be 1960s than 1970s.

• Like 1

Manchester Ship Canal loco No.67 (a Hudswell Clarke 'long tank') seen with the Cashier's Coach No.2, probably in the early 1960s.

Once a week, the Cashier's coach was hauled around the canal railway system as far down as Latchford, paying the wages to the MSC staff.
It was formerly an 1877 Midland Railway brake/luggage van and survives to this day at Chasewater.
The loco is also a survivor and can now be seen at the Middleton Railway.
An original large-format negative I purchased on eBay recently; photographer not known. One day I hope to model this train on my MSC layout, though I'm still looking for a kit to provide a basis for the coach.

MSC 67 and Cashier's Coach

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A trio of Pecketts for your delight and delectation. These are more new scans that have been colour-adjusted and cleaned up.

Works No.567 of 1894 HANBURY/West Cannock No.5. Photos suggest this was in use in 1965. Note the older style of Peckett cab, very Victorian in appearance, though I do not know if the bunker was a standard fitting or modification.

1500502725_P5671894HANBURYWestCannockNo.5.jpg.baa5c3df5fcdf28fd78804f053b59a47.jpg

Now recreated in model form by Hornby is B2 1678 of 1927, 'Sherwood' No.4 of Sherwood Colliery. Sitting cold in the cold (light snow on the ground). The loco has been chocked on one side so I presume is sat on a gradient.

By the looks of it the cab glass is gone from front and rear plates.

718036323_P16781927SHERWOODSherwoodCollieryNCB.jpg.ee3be0503646f857e60c54498f102a07.jpg

I believe TOPHARD No.1791 of 1932 is a W6 0-4-0ST?

It worked at NCB Thoresby, doesn't look in bad nick aside from the smokebox door.

104055334_P17911932TOPHARDNCBThoresby.jpg.a9eeb1c8908b4f093ab520b16046b148.jpg

• Like 14