The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Christmas Day Stress.

Sidecar Racer

20 hours ago, SM42 said:

I've heard good things about sprouts cooked in olive oil and coated in breadcrumbs

Sprouts  at reduced price in the supermarket now so time to experiment without any pressure (there may be some pressure elsewhere later though.) Christmas shopping for next year is half done too.

Andy

Our left-over sprouts are in that post-Xmas limbo.. after a few days, the wife throws them out before I can use them in bubble-and-squeak. Happens every year. 

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I’m not sure, but think you may have been chatting with my mrs at Warley last year.

We goto Poland 3/4 times a year (Krakow), at least once a year we stay at the family holiday home near Chabowka.. very cheap Skiing, right next to the railway line.. perfect.. around £10 a session for the little one, log cabin with beer and food, right next to the railway line to Zakopane...

note how it snowed by day 3.

No EN57s? I hope they've not got rid of them in favour of the boring modern units!

Last time we went (October) the whole line was closed for engineering works (meaning a long slog in a minibus up from Krakow), but there were still plenty of 57s in the yard at Sucha Beskidska.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Our left-over sprouts are in that post-Xmas limbo.. after a few days, the wife throws them out before I can use them in bubble-and-squeak. Happens every year. 

A bit like me then, I'm in post Christmas limbo too. As they say on the radio, "that strange time between Christmas and New Year." It's bit like a very long Sunday afternoon

Was thrown out for one day at work this week which  was yesterday, Friday felt like Monday, no-one wanted to do anything and now I'm  just waiting the onslaught that is New Year.

Back to work again on Monday, the treadmill starts again. (yesterday was a sort of phased return I suppose) but have New Year's Day  off so that's a silver lining to the cloud.

Andy

16 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I’m not sure, but think you may have been chatting with my mrs at Warley last year.

We goto Poland 3/4 times a year (Krakow), at least once a year we stay at the family holiday home near Chabowka.. very cheap Skiing, right next to the railway line.. perfect.. around £10 a session for the little one, log cabin with beer and food, right next to the railway line to Zakopane...

note how it snowed by day 3.

There's a distinct possibility that I was chatting to her at Warley. I chatted to a lot of people and some of it was in very bad Polish too.

If she was chatting to someone  near some SM42s then she was very likely chatting to SM42.

Last time I went to Zakopane it was EU07 haulage and we had three goes at getting up the bank.

Nice video, the 27 Web at 9 mins (according to my Polish ABC)  was built by Pesa, Bydgoszcz in 2012. I believe it is a new unit with origins in the ED74 and ED59, 

Andy

Edited by SM42

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Nick C said:

No EN57s? I hope they've not got rid of them in favour of the boring modern units!

Last time we went (October) the whole line was closed for engineering works (meaning a long slog in a minibus up from Krakow), but there were still plenty of 57s in the yard at Sucha Beskidska.

i havent seen an EN57 for a little while now.

The scene is getting a bit more modern, though even with a pendolino, the driver still takes a 15 minute break in the middle of nowhere, at a seemingly random signal, not a station, on the CMK fastline between Krakow and Warsaw...

If anyone knows why everytime I take the CMK line it does this please let us know.

similarly Prszesmyl to Krakow trains still take a rest at Krakow Plaszow for 15 minutes, though this is an allowance for engine change from Steam to Electric.. a hangover in the timetable from the 1980’s, that carries over to a crew change today... one of many oddities in PKPs operation.

The Zakopane operation though seems to be faster today, when I first did it, the train left Krakow, reversed at Plaszow, reversed again at  Sucha Beskidzka and again at Chabowka, taking 4+ hours... you can drive it in 90 minutes.. and thats before the new motorway opens,

The train is down to 3hr 10 on the fast train, skipping out Sucha Beskidzka & Krakow Plaszow altogether, thus avoiding two of the reversals.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

i havent seen an EN57 for a little while now.

The scene is getting a bit more modern, though even with a pendolino, the driver still takes a 15 minute break in the middle of nowhere, at a seemingly random signal, not a station, on the CMK fastline between Krakow and Warsaw...

If anyone knows why everytime I take the CMK line it does this please let us know.

similarly Prszesmyl to Krakow trains still take a rest at Krakow Plaszow for 15 minutes, though this is an allowance for engine change from Steam to Electric.. a hangover in the timetable from the 1980’s, that carries over to a crew change today... one of many oddities in PKPs operation.

The Zakopane operation though seems to be faster today, when I first did it, the train left Krakow, reversed at Plaszow, reversed again at  Sucha Beskidzka and again at Chabowka, taking 4+ hours... you can drive it in 90 minutes.. and thats before the new motorway opens,

The train is down to 3hr 10 on the fast train, skipping out Sucha Beskidzka & Krakow Plaszow altogether, thus avoiding the reversals.

It'll be even quicker with the new line they announced earlier in the year, going down from the east of Krakow to join the existing line near Kasina Wielka. Just hoping they don't cut out the local services on the Skawina - Sucha - Chabowka route completely as that'd make visiting the in-laws much more difficult...

• RMweb Premium

Today was different, my SiL who brought my Grand Daughter down for a few days decided it would be nice to see “Lands End”.......so off we went......windy, grey, quiet and thankfully not raining, actually a nice couple hours there and a half decent cafe meal at what I can only describe as half decent visitor centre.

It was actually nice to sit and eat while watching the waves crashing over Longships rocks.

And we managed it there and back on without needing to charge up his iPace, got back with just under 10% left.....plenty.

Christmas dinner mark 3 today.

Why does Mrs SM42  do it?  Family invited over for the dinner we didn't have together 4 days ago..

I don't think it's going to be too complicated an affair though, but it will definitely be Christmas dinner like with the usual suspects on the plate.

Pass the sprouts

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Christmas dinner mark 3 today.

Why does Mrs SM42  do it?  Family invited over for the dinner we didn't have together 4 days ago..

I don't think it's going to be too complicated an affair though, but it will definitely be Christmas dinner like with the usual suspects on the plate.

Pass the sprouts

Andy

And you thought it was all over......:lol:

• Funny 1