The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Christmas Day Stress.

Sidecar Racer

• RMweb Premium
On 25/12/2019 at 00:11, Dava said:

Sainsburys Nut Roast.

Dava

Don't buy the lentil pudding.

Most disappointing.

Cooked as directed and it was stuck in the container.

When it came out, in pieces, it looked more like a road accident than a pudding!

5 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Never been to Poland but I like Polish food.

A new Polish supermarket opened in Wigan town centre earlier this year. Very clean and friendly Polish staff. A nice selection of Polish beers, and the meat counter has some superb hams, sausages etc. My wife buys her pork from there as it is always fresh. I like to try out various sliced meats (for sandwiches) with curious names - I've had nothing yet I did not like.

Brit15

I find the main problem with Poland is that it tastes too nice. Go, you'd love it.  Coffee and cake takes on a whole new meaning.

Now that Christmas food is mostly down to leftovers and chocolate, (Christmas goes on till 6th Feb though) I now look forward to Tlusty Czwartek (Fat Thursday:  Doughnuts as far as the eye can see) and the meat fest that is Easter Day breakfast.  Easter stress anyone?

I'll never be slim

Andy

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 24/12/2019 at 09:42, Sidecar Racer said:

And Finally.....
NO ONE.... And I mean no one APART FROM THE COOK IS ALLOWED TO GET PISSED AND FALL ASLEEP BEFORE THE WASHING UP IS DONE!!!

‘Well only one thing to say about that......and it’s the same thing I said to the turkey before cooking it :lol:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Never been to Poland but I like Polish food.

A new Polish supermarket opened in Wigan town centre earlier this year. Very clean and friendly Polish staff. A nice selection of Polish beers, and the meat counter has some superb hams, sausages etc. My wife buys her pork from there as it is always fresh. I like to try out various sliced meats (for sandwiches) with curious names - I've had nothing yet I did not like.

Brit15

i highly reccomend Polish garlic... you dont need much, it is a purplish bulb and a little smaller rather than the pure white chinese garlic we get in supermarkets. You’ll know you have it as soon as you cut it.. its a strong aroma.

I often buy a tub of Anchor butter, leave to room temperature, chop up a half clove of Polish garlic to tiny pieces & mix it into the butter, lasts a couple of week... toast will never taste the same again.

Polish garlic, with butter fried for a few seconds, then adding prawns pays nice dividends too, add a few halfs of baby to tomatoes for literally the last minute.  Then toss into spagheti  or tagliatella pasta.

have learnt to make my own beetroot soup (takes 2 weeks) and also pickled gherkins from salt water, garlic, pepper etc, takes a couple of days.

lovely food.

Still waiting the family to show me how to make the strong stuff...

They do like to drink you under the table with strong alcohol, you’ll not beat them on Vodka or even scotch, but their weakness is surprisingly simple...  just take a dark beer, real ale at room temperature... no tolerance to it at all, they’ll be giggling in minutes.

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 2

Last year I did a whole load of vegan stuff, it was not unsuccessful but frankly not terribly exciting, the problem is that this year my son and daughter in law nephew and partner have returned expecting the same.

Sadly they failed to tell me they were arriving on Christmas aday and guess what th shops was closed and we were eating turkey with all the trimmings so all they could have was the carrots.

Edited by robert17649
  • Funny 9

14 hours ago, robert17649 said:

Now theres a problem , I cooked the sprouts with bacon !

I've heard good things about sprouts cooked in olive oil and coated in breadcrumbs

Sprouts  at reduced price in the supermarket now so time to experiment without any pressure (there may be some pressure elsewhere later though.) Christmas shopping for next year is half done too.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I've heard good things about sprouts cooked in olive oil and coated in breadcrumbs

Sprouts  at reduced price in the supermarket now so time to experiment without any pressure (there may be some pressure elsewhere later though.) Christmas shopping for next year is half done too.

Andy

You do need to get the sprouts on early for next Christmas though........

:jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

As the family have had us 'doing this',  'doing that'  so they can have 'an easy Christmas',    Mrs NorthBrit and I shall (on 28th Dec)  have our Christmas Dinner without the 'rush'.   Mince pie and cream.    A  whisky or three to follow.  :clapping:

Then prepare for New Year. :dance_mini:

• Like 4

Son, daughter, granddaughter, sister, brother-in-law, niece & nephew just left after arriving at midday on Christmas Eve. About to take a well earned Papa nap, as i’m Absolutely Knackered!!

All the best everyone!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, SM42 said:

Andy

oh heavens....why would you bother? :lol:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tangoman69 said:

Son, daughter, granddaughter, sister, brother-in-law, niece & nephew just left after arriving at midday on Christmas Eve. About to take a well earned Papa nap, as i’m Absolutely Knackered!!

All the best everyone!

Just us this Christmas......lovely.....but today Grand daughter (4) was dropped off for a few days, now it gets busy :o

We love it :good_mini:

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Washing up?? 

Am I the only person with a dishwasher?  Just shove everything in there, shut the door and switch it on. 

But it has to be loaded with a bit of care, 1/ so that you get more in (less washes)

and 2/ so that nothing touches anything else, so it washes properly (= less washes).

Then it has to be unloaded and everything put away, before it's re-loaded and set

going again, mine was on continuously from 11am Christmas Day, last load went in

just before midnight, with a few things left for the first load after breakfast!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

Washing up?? 

Am I the only person with a dishwasher?  Just shove everything in there, shut the door and switch it on. 

Got one, don't use it!

Only two of us and it is quicker to do what washing up there is rather than faff around with the washer.

• RMweb Premium
On 25/12/2019 at 11:28, adb968008 said:

How many people put a railway under there tree anymore ?

Merry Christmas from the ADB clan

(as an fyi, we made this video last week to have time to navigate the new copyright rules, apologies for the ads, the revenue goes to the song owner, in return for allowing youtubers like me to use it in this video).

try to spot the back up locomotive (a jinty).

The tracks spinning off was a bit of friday fun for my little one.. as my wife was at work (and technically i was).. this turned into a loop that went right down the lounge, into the kitchen, through the hall and back into the lounge and under the tree...

First year in 38 years we haven’t had the LGB running around the tree, main reason is this year we haven’t got a tree......long story, but chrissmassey anyway :drink_mini:

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Just us this Christmas......lovely.....but today Grand daughter (4) was dropped off for a few days, now it gets busy :o

We love it :good_mini:

And tonight we will be viewing Mary Poppins 2 apparently :lol:

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 26/12/2019 at 18:05, SM42 said:

I find the main problem with Poland is that it tastes too nice. Go, you'd love it.  Coffee and cake takes on a whole new meaning.

Now that Christmas food is mostly down to leftovers and chocolate, (Christmas goes on till 6th Feb though) I now look forward to Tlusty Czwartek (Fat Thursday:  Doughnuts as far as the eye can see) and the meat fest that is Easter Day breakfast.  Easter stress anyone?

I'll never be slim

Andy

I’m not sure, but think you may have been chatting with my mrs at Warley last year.

We goto Poland 3/4 times a year (Krakow), at least once a year we stay at the family holiday home near Chabowka.. very cheap Skiing, right next to the railway line.. perfect.. around £10 a session for the little one, log cabin with beer and food, right next to the railway line to Zakopane...

note how it snowed by day 3.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

We did have a bit of stress this year. We always 'try' to do normal things on Christmas day,, like servicing the car, that sort of thing. During the year, we've been altering a box room to form 'her office'.  She fancies herself as a sparky, and has to her credit, done things like 18th edition.

"So, said I, "fit that new ceiling light fitting, just over there". And that, ladies & gentlemen, is when the fun started.Oh dear! Light blue touch paper, and retire. I kept well out of it; there was no way I would  touch a screwdriver, unless I wanted a 240 volt enema..... I could see the problem, but I value my posterior.... Anyhow, she found the problem and she was so pleased she found it herself. Well done! Lights back on, job done!

Happy new ZZZZT!, everyone! (no, only joking, honest) I do have an Ohm to go to.... 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Happy new ZZZZT!, everyone! (no, only joking, honest) I do have an Ohm to go to.... 

Resistance is futile, please conduct yourself with decorum and avoid any instances of assault and battery.

• Like 2

Amid the general chaos of a sudden surge of work enquiries (two ultimately, more-or-less abortive offshore mobilisations and the negotiation of the hitherto, completely unforeseen job at Werrington) we contrived to have three Christmas dinners, in two different locations, or at least my good wife and two younger children did. I got two. 

Enjoyed it all enormously, always do. Daughter’s cat looks fatter than ever. No 1 Grand-daughter was much amused by “papa’s train” under the Xmas tree, shouting “go! Stop! Faster! Woooo!” and similar technicalities (I like the idea above, of having chocolate coins in the open waggons, by the way). Drank quite a lot of rum and some beer, watched “Gavin and Stacey” and not much else - put my foot down firmly against allowing the shouty, whinging misanthropists of E20 across the (electronic) threshold, at least ONE day a year. Entertained sundry members of my good wife’s innumerable extended family, at various stages. 

Right now I’m enjoying the peace and quiet. There’s a stillness about the City the past few days, that I haven’t seen for a number of years. 

• Like 2