The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

I recall that Jackie Stewart came out in plain with his opinion on Vettel's declining capability at least two years ago. The evidence since suggests that he made the right call. Plot Vettel's trajectory in terms of key metrics, qualifying position, finishing position and time differential relative to team mate. He was falling behind Raiko just before he departed Ferrari, and Leclerc has continued to open the gap.

This isn't 'a few poor results' but a trend in the downward direction. A further cruel aspect is that if he attempts to stay in F1 next season he may find no team wants him on the basis of a trial in their car: the data suggests to me that he'll be behind Raiko for pace in a similar standard car.

• Agree 2

I watched an entire Sunday full of motorsport .F4 ,F2,F3,F1 Touring cars ,LMES and FE,on various media .As for drivers I tend to follow the ex Carlin drivers and the current batch  fighting through the ranks .

Edited by friscopete

FIA to restrict down force for safety reasons and engine "quali" mode to be banned, starting at the Begian GP (from the Autosport website). The latter is more complicated than the headline, as teams will have to run the same mode in qualification and the race, which apparently means the engines can't be turned down for reliability.

"A single mode will not only restrict performance in qualifying, but will also limit adjustments drivers make during races, including those when they "turn down" the engine for reliability purposes."

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

FIA to restrict down force for safety reasons and engine "quali" mode to be banned, starting at the Begian GP (from the Autosport website). The latter is more complicated than the headline, as teams will have to run the same mode in qualification and the race, which apparently means the engines can't be turned down for reliability.

"A single mode will not only restrict performance in qualifying, but will also limit adjustments drivers make during races, including those when they "turn down" the engine for reliability purposes."

If true very good news.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

So once again, FIA / Ferrari International Assistance comes in to rescue the Red Team.

https://www.racefans.net/2020/08/13/ferrari-drivers-say-quali-mode-ban-can-only-be-positive-for-them/

• Agree 2

29 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

FIA to restrict down force for safety reasons and engine "quali" mode to be banned, starting at the Belgian GP (from the Autosport website). The latter is more complicated than the headline, as teams will have to run the same mode in qualification and the race, which apparently means the engines can't be turned down for reliability...

From a set-up perspective, favours  teams that can find the sweet spot most rapidly with this new mix.

Reduced down force: will favour those drivers that consistently shine in the wet.

Use of single engine mode for qualification and race: favours the more robust power units and those drivers able to best manage their power demand. (Really FIA? This is motor racing. If only one engine mode is permitted, then it'll be peak power, and hope you can convince your drivers to only give it all the beans when it will really make a difference to their finish position. The red mist brigade  are going to be well exposed. Doubt that Magnussen will finish a race from Belgium onwards...)

• Like 3

Has any reason been given as to why this is being introduced now?

It seems somewhat disingenuous to me to introduce new rules partway through a season, unless there is a compelling reason (i.e. risk of loss of life or serious injury) to do so.

• Agree 9

Has Liberty and the FIA lost it's way?

No explanation for Ferrari Engine power.

Confusion over buy and cant buy components.

Fine and Points deduction, but ducts can still be used, but with a warning after each Race.

Now we have the new Engine Mode.

And the Down Force.

What next, BAN Pink and Black Cars?:no:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

The official reason for the downforce is in response to the tyre failures two weeks ago. 

The engine settings is a bit vague and Merc don’t seem worried. Basically they will just turn it up from the start. The lack of changes in the race mean everyone is in the same boat, the only real change is the loss of the ability to turn an engine down to save it. It throws in a different technical strategy but with Merc having such a reliable unit already I doubt it’ll bring them back into the pack and Lewis seems unworried. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Has Liberty and the FIA lost it's way?

It might just be me being too cynical, but I get the impression that there might have been clandestine meetings and discussions to find some way to try and neuter the continued success of the Mercedes team.

Personally, I think these changes might backfire on Liberty and the FIA.

Mercedes success is down to many factors, not just their power unit.  I wouldn’t bet against them, as a team, closing ranks to find other legitimate incremental improvements to keep their cars ahead of the pack.

I certainly would bet on the other teams, particularly the red team, finding some way of throwing away any perceived advantage that these changes might give them short term.  Either by poor car preparation, driver calamity, just plain dumb race strategy - or a mix of all three.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I see Vettle is going to get a new chassis because his current one has "faults".  A new entry in the litany of excuses?

Probably caused by the odd crash or two, or three, or four, OR............:nono::laugh_mini2:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Hroth said:

I see Vettle is going to get a new chassis because his current one has "faults".  A new entry in the litany of excuses?

Ferrari did say it’s purely safety, it wouldn’t have affected performance. There’s selective emphasis in the headlines but the detail is there in the story. 

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

:lol: yeah, they are trying to make it more interesting as so many moan about how long Mercedes dominance has lasted I guess. The car is still very good all round so it might pull them in a bit but it’s certainly not going to push them into the mid pack. Ultimately it might be better for spectacle and in a way it’s very similar to what appears to have been done to Ferrari’s engine last year. 
It’s fairly regular to impose limits like this when someone debuts a big step forward, think ground effect, monster engines of the 80’s and fan cars etc. The downforce and resulting turbulence has really limited the overtaking and DRS has been a bit of a mixed solution. On some tracks you’re just blitzed by the car behind and then have enough time to get away and others it ends up as a seesaw through a combination of corners. It’s overtaking because of power not the skill. That’s why Daniel,  Alex and Max with their dives for ‘improbable’ gaps and around the outside add a bit of fun ;) 

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Hobby said:

I have to agree with RJS and 4630, mid way into a season seems a strange time to make changes like that. The only logical explanation is to curb the team at the top of the points.

And maybe, because they wont sign up to the Concorde agreement?:no:

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

It seems somewhat disingenuous to me to introduce new rules partway through a season, unless there is a compelling reason (i.e. risk of loss of life or serious injury) to do so.

It is very odd. This sort of thing should be part of a new seaso'ns rules, not slapped into the middle of a season. It's not like teams have suddenly come up with a qualifying mode, they have had that for years.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

They can give the excuse the downforce is on tyre safety I guess and even though it’s not been admitted what it was they did the same to Ferrari last year on the engine. Ferrari helping drive the retaliation? 
Mercedes drivers seem ambivalent and Toto hasn’t said much so I guess they aren’t worried. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 57xx said:

It is very odd. This sort of thing should be part of a new seaso'ns rules, not slapped into the middle of a season. It's not like teams have suddenly come up with a qualifying mode, they have had that for years.

The quali-mode is an oddball one, it’ll be interesting to see what’s said by Toto and Horner next time they’re interviewed. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Another stinking, desperate throw to get Ferrari closer to the front. They may have been there from the start - although they weren't always winners in the very early days either - but other great names have come and gone and F1 survived, even if unrecognisable due to the poison dwarf and his greed. BRM, Cooper, Lotus  - all had their day. Mercedes are having theirs. If Ferrari is left to save itself it would seem a better solution. With the RP issue, Concorde and now this, I see F1 dying in a ditch before long. 

Or perhaps certain Southern Italian syndicates are putting pressure on Liberty. Get our boys back on the podium, or.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2