The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I do not like the allowance to change tyres under a red flag. It penalised those who changed their tyres at what was a strategically better time.

But then, so does a safety car. If drivers can effectively get a 'free' pit stop under a safety car, I can see no reason why they shouldn't get one under a red flag.

And of course, there's nothing (other than supply of tyres) to prevent the teams who have already changed from changing again under red flag, especially if it allows them to change to a softer compound.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I think fans just want a balls to the wind race .Flat out no refueling,no tyre stops ,no strategic bazookas  . No weird rules aimed at making racing more interesting ..Its never been very interesting  most of the time.Its those bursts of sheer bravado ,skill,and pazzaz that make it unforgetable and of course for the race goers who rarely actually see it all happen its the atmosphere and carnival sadly watered down and upmarketed over the years  when control of the circuit ended up in the hands of non racers ..Lando and Carlos keep it genuine at present .Gasly is a blip on the monitor.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Who suggested this, Ferrari?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/54063417

Brawn says

"Right now, Mercedes set their cars up to achieve the fastest lap and then to control the race from the front. If they know they have to overtake, they will have to change that approach.

Didn't he see Hamilton slicing through the field in the last laps yesterday?  A fair bit of skillful overtaking there!

Or was he watching the race through red-tinted blinkers?

• Agree 2
  • Funny 6

1 hour ago, ianwales said:

Best idea they've come up with for a long time, make the racing a lot more unpredictable and give someone else a shot at the championship instead of handing it to Hamilton on a plate.

Next thing will be a handicapping system, like in horseracing....

• Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ianwales said:

Best idea they've come up with for a long time, make the racing a lot more unpredictable and give someone else a shot at the championship instead of handing it to Hamilton on a plate.

If the other drivers or teams want to win, they need to do better. Just because he is in a class of his own, doesn't mean it's handing anything to him on a plate.

• Like 1
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Gold

Thing is we’ve had the drama without it and how would Ferrari & RB vote if they weren’t struggling this year? 
Any of these entertainment ideas needs to be at a track that has lots of overtaking opportunities with some restrictions on DRS or you just get them all bunched up using DRS and no overtaking!

They’ve upped the number of races so maybe two or three each year rotating outside the championship points as a show race they gain prize money from not points so it doesn’t spoil the pure racing? That way it gives those struggling at the bottom a chance at the prize pot usually given to Ferrari? There’s ways of doing it proportionally so each team is allocated a prize pot slightly increasing the further down the rankings they are and they get a percentage of that depending on their final placing. That way those in the middle don’t get stuffed for being midfield and Lewis overtaking all of them doesn’t walk away with all the pot either. Sort of help out those struggling with a boost of cash to be spent on development. 
With several championships decided by a point or two in the last 40 years it’s going to be gutting when those winning points come from an artificial reverse grid so I tend to agree with the drivers that it shouldn’t affect the championship. 
The drivers can just go all out and have fun and F1 can easily monitor anyone suspected of just cruising or retiring to save engines by comparing data traces to the races before. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I never quite get the instant refusal to consider reverse grids in any form but then I was brought up on short oval racing. Never seen consistently better racing than reverse grid hot rods (non contact formulae before anyone references banger racing - put someone wide ala Mr Schumacher or Mr Verstappen and you get black flagged and likely banned).

You wouldn't want it every race but it would enable drivers to show a different skill set and from what I saw, had Hamilton started at the back Sunday, there is a decent chance he'd have still gotten a podium? Using a sprint race based on reverse championship order to set the grid for the main race and the best *racers* will still get to the front for the main event.  Car design would soon adapt to better enable them to follow the car in front out of necessity.

An alternative option to bring F1 back to its routes is to remove the blue flags as that is a modern invention. Originally lapped cars were under no obligation to let the leaders through as they had their own race to run. Similar to reverse grids lead drivers had to display the skills needed to pass slower cars.

Neither option would work everywhere, Monaco would have to remain a 'traditional' event for instance but like the snooker Masters it would be a treat because it's a throw back and different.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Nah I reckon oil slicks, sprinklers and banana skins controlled by fans through an app...

seriously I don’t mind reverse grids in a multi-race event(weekend), but not for me in a single race event. It may have made sense for the second Red bull ring or Silverstone events this year.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, friscopete said:

I think fans just want a balls to the wind race .Flat out no refueling,no tyre stops ,no strategic bazookas  . No weird rules aimed at making racing more interesting ..Its never been very interesting  most of the time.Its those bursts of sheer bravado ,skill,and pazzaz that make it unforgetable and of course for the race goers who rarely actually see it all happen its the atmosphere and carnival sadly watered down and upmarketed over the years  when control of the circuit ended up in the hands of non racers ..Lando and Carlos keep it genuine at present .Gasly is a blip on the monitor.

Depends what you mean by "flat out". Monza is the quickest track but that almost always leads to dull races. But some of the slower tracks are equally dull because they are difficult to overtake on. Seems to me that some remedial work on the circuits is the most likely way to make for interesting racing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I think that rather sums up the problem with doing it all the time, the drama of last Sunday would be dulled by it being regular. Maybe a twist on the set pit stop idea mentioned earlier at somewhere like Monaco, where it’s pretty much a procession, where you know you have to make two set time stops of 4 and 8 secs but to slightly stuff the tactics you only find out which one as the car enters the pit lane speed restriction? That limits the dangers of the extra distraction to just one race where overtaking is virtually impossible. A team that felt they were caught out by the first one can still use tactics on the second one to try and gain a bit of time back. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

As I see it, the only way that reverse grids work is if you have two 1-hour races instead of 1 2-hour race.

That would be better for Fans, Teams, Drivers, and above all the quality of Racing. And if your going to do that, you need to bring back the T Car / Spare in case of a Crash / Total failure in the first Race.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

, you need to bring back the T Car / Spare in case of a Crash / Total failure in the first Race.

Problem is there go a lot of the cost savings they are using the budget cuts to enforce. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

That would be better for Fans, Teams, Drivers, and above all the quality of Racing. And if your going to do that, you need to bring back the T Car / Spare in case of a Crash / Total failure in the first Race.

7 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Problem is there go a lot of the cost savings they are using the budget cuts to enforce. 

No Spare Car, and  a Driver could effectively miss two Races over the weekend, possibly even due to another driver knocking him off the road in Race 1, damaging Engine / Gearbox / Chassis etc, but still able to score in both races. So a double DNF and possibly a loss of 50 points in one weekend. 

Taking Lewis at Silverstone a few years ago, when Kimi took him out on the first Lap, had the Chassis been Damaged, he would have had to sit and watch through no fault of his own.

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

The other answer Paul, is that Teams would have to work that into their budget, like it or not, cut out some other things.:D like drinks parties etc.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

It would depend to some extent on how long the qualifying Sprint races were.  Too long and you end up with the same Sunday grid positions as the current format, so little is actually achieved.  Too short and you set the Sunday bar too high for the faster teams, with less able teams getting the honey pot.  Maybe there is some merit in spreading the prize cash a bit more, to help less achieving teams to develop, but the end result should still reflect the order of merit for those competing.  I wouldn't fancy being one of those who decided how the Sprint sessions were run, rather like standing at the wrong end of a rifle range.

Julian

• Like 2