RMweb

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

But then stories reporting the carving up of the historic collection

Less emotional attachment as time goes on and I bet they aren’t the championship winners?

28 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Wtf is that all about?! If the replica is any good, stick that in yer cabinet!

:sclerosis: who knows F1 and it’s personalities have odd ideas, which makes them good doing the unexpected on track and in life I guess ;) 

• Like 3

I'd be surprised if the McLaren collection isn't bringing the team any money - Williams occasionally open their collection to the public (often as part of a VIP day in conjunction with Didcot Railway Centre) - and the visits aren't cheap!

More than that, though - being able to take a prospective sponsor/investor/business partner/customer round the collection and show them the company/team's heritage is an important part of the sales pitch. Being able to show them the cars that you won Championships with - even if the last one was a decade or more ago - shows what you are (or were) capable of - saying "We had to sell them because the money ran out" doesn't exactly fill potential investors with confidence!

The engineering and F1 team parts of the business need each other - the engineering side generates profits which can be fed back into the F1 team, the F1 team provides the name that says "This is an experienced engineering company with achievements to its name", and in many cases the technical innovations which are scaled up by the engineering company.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Some interesting info here, including the fact that the FIA can force a Team to take an Engine from and Engine supplier that supplies the least No of Teams, and for 2022 that would be Renault. Both Merc and Ferrari are fully committed to supply other Teams.

It also discusses Max's get out clause referred to already by Helmut Marko.

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/30023304/what-does-honda-departure-mean-red-bull-f1

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

As a path to Honda engines continuing to be used in F1,  there could be a repeat of the situation that happened in the early 1990's when Honda as an engine producer withdraw from the sport.

The V10 engines that provided drivers and constructors championships for McLaren/Honda in 1989 and 1990 were transferred in 1991 to Mugen Motorsports, which continued to prepare the engines for various F1 teams for the next nine years.

• Informative/Useful 3

On 02/10/2020 at 15:24, 57xx said:

No they're not, they are a chicane to slow people down who miss turn 1/2. Drivers are supposed to weave through them so as not to gain an advantage.

Sorry you are correct, they were part of the temporary chicanes which stopped people straight lining the track chicane. I think the difference is that there were still enough markers remaining in Monza to indicate the route through the chicanes, whilst at Sochi there were only the two boards which both got demolished, so they had to be replaced to indicate the race director's approved exit route. 

Edited by PMW
  • Like 1

For the Sky customer the Drive to Perfection documentary is very good. Last nights episode Triumph and Tragedy was a real tear jerker! Imola 94, nothing to say really. It's one of those life defining moments, I remember watching it live. It's the one episode I can't watch again. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/10/2020 at 21:51, Classsix T said:

But then stories reporting the carving up of the historic collection (something McLaren have been vociferously protective of, but doesn't generate income) for what we're led to believe is desperately needed funds suggests otherwise? 

I always found it odd about McLaren btw, that it was commonly written into a driver's contract that McLaren takes possession of any trophy the driver wins. McLaren supply a replica of the trophy to the driver in return. Wtf is that all about?! If the replica is any good, stick that in yer cabinet!

C6T. 

Interestingly if you look back at McLaren they were selling items out of their historic collection three years ago (reported in their 2018 Annual Report, I think it was c. £10 million realised through such sales in 2017).

I can remember the McLaren name in F1 going right back to the days when Bruce of that name was driving and the family name appears now to have no connection with the company although I do wonder about the seemingly mysterious McKal holding of a small amount of the group.  In fact in some respects it might be argued that we did more for McLaren Group's bottom line (literally) by sitting in a seat on an ECML HST because it was a sensor which they developed which said whether or not that seat was occupied.  At the end of the day any business group which is loss making and has had various areas of its business hit by changed economic circumstances is going to examine where it might save money and/or increase revenue.  One part of McLaren makes money out of F1 by selling various electronic kit which all (I think) teams use but that of itself doesn't add to the income of the F1 team bearing their name.  Simple fact is that while Mclaren Group is in a state of financial concern it will be looking at ways to improve its siytuation and that might (or in the end might not) include its F1 team.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Apparently Maclaren of buggy fame helped design the Spitfire undercarriage, and designed his first buggy in 1964, about the same time as Bruce was setting up his own racing team. Parallel careers.

Now THAT'S the sort of thread tangent I like! Well played Ian! 

C6T. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

McLaren could have blocked Sainz move to Ferrari, I bet he wishes they had, haha:spiteful:

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/30015292/mclaren-blocked-sainz-move-ferrari

But they preferred Daniel and Sainz wanted to go to Ferrari so he would potentially been miserable if he had lost out, but of course so much has changed since he found was going to play second fiddle to LeClerc

• Agree 2

A lot of chatter on the F1 news sites about the despicable Karting incident in Italy at the weekend (disgruntled competitor lobs part of his cart at another racer on track, then attacks him in the Paddock) A number of ex F1 drivers including Jenson have said he should be banned for life.

• Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 minutes ago, 37114 said:

A lot of chatter on the F1 news sites about the despicable Karting incident in Italy at the weekend (disgruntled competitor lobs part of his cart at another racer on track, then attacks him in the Paddock) A number of ex F1 drivers including Jenson have said he should be banned for life.

The 'disgruntled competitor' has apologised and asked the FIA to withdraw his racing licence.

https://www.motorsport.com/kart/news/luca-corberi-incident-apology-race-again/4886559/

However how often have we seen F1 drivers get into fights with each other, or deliberately drive into their competitors, and not receive any meaningful sanction?

• Agree 6

Just now, RJS1977 said:

The 'disgruntled competitor' has apologised and asked the FIA to withdraw his racing licence.

https://www.motorsport.com/kart/news/luca-corberi-incident-apology-race-again/4886559/

However how often have we seen F1 drivers get into fights with each other, or deliberately drive into their competitors, and not receive any meaningful sanction?

True, Senna and Prost in Japan is the obvious one where there was no sanction and Senna also walloped Irvine in the pits if I recall. That said F1 hopeful Dan Ticktum got a 2 year ban for his antics previously. 

• Informative/Useful 3

13 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

but in F1 there dad doesn't charge in as well

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, 37114 said:

True, Senna and Prost in Japan is the obvious one where there was no sanction and Senna also walloped Irvine in the pits if I recall. That said F1 hopeful Dan Ticktum got a 2 year ban for his antics previously. 

Note my use of the word "meaningful". To my mind getting a five second penalty (Vettel) or even losing your second place in the Championship (Schumacher 1997) is not a meaningful punishment for deliberately hitting another car. 

I believe if you want to stamp out bad behaviour at the lower levels of sports, it needs to start at the top.

(I notice Corberi's only official sanction so far has been disqualification from a race he didn't complete, although his decision to hang up his steering wheel may have pre-empted further punishment).

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2