The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

Renault have protested the Racing Point Cars - citing they are basically Mercedes copies. Interesting conundrum...where does adopting innovation start and copying begin ? Also is copying a crime ? every driver after each race has a good look at the other cars in parc ferme to pinch ideas.  

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Chrisr40 said:

Renault have protested the Racing Point Cars - citing they are basically Mercedes copies. Interesting conundrum...where does adopting innovation start and copying begin ? Also is copying a crime ? every driver after each race has a good look at the other cars in parc ferme to pinch ideas.  

This protest seems to centre upon the RP brake-ducts. These, and those of the 2019 Mercedes, will be subject to scrutiny by the tech rep, who will report back to the stewards. Phew.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Lando is the new inspiration for young British Kids, and also a shame for George Russel who was better than Lando in the lower Formula I believe, but just doesn't have the Car to show his true potential yet.

I can see Lando getting at least a couple more Podiums this year, and possibly finishing 3rd or 4th in the Championship.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

12 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Lando is the new inspiration for young British Kids, and also a shame for George Russel who was better than Lando in the lower Formula I believe, but just doesn't have the Car to show his true potential yet.

I can see Lando getting at least a couple more Podiums this year, and possibly finishing 3rd or 4th in the Championship.

I think he is great, I even bought a Lando Norris hat last week. He doesnt take himself too seriously, is obviously grateful for his opportunities and makes the best of them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I was a bit disappointed by the choice of highlights today TBH - plenty of shots of cars going round - and at one point information on how to vote for 'Driver of the Day' (which had already closed by the time the highlights were shown) - was included, but very little of the action between the mid-field cars that led to George Russell going off - I would have liked to have seen more of that as it was unclear whether he went off of his own accord or whether he was pushed wide by another car.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I know we are only two races into the oddest of years, but for Lando to find himself comfortably third in the Championship is surreal. Of course it won't last, but the McLaren obviously improves its balance and performance as the fuel burns off. Being thereabouts towards the end of a race may garner a few more points yet, just like Styria. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Considering Mclarens shaky finances and they’ve Lando next year I bet it’s great for the team as a whole. Carlos taking Ferrari is probably seeming like a great thing for money but less so for his chances of a competitive drive with their equally as rapid progress in a downward trajectory! I wonder if he’s had a moment of doubt, mind you like CL I think he’s got the potential to get the best from it if they can sort themselves out. 
Now if Williams can sort themselves out a bit and give GR a chance to fight the others rather than just fight to get the car round . . .

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

10 hours ago, Andrew P said:

It really is hard to judge drivers against each other when they are in different cars.

I have seen in other sports & the same seems to be true in motor racing, than the best at one level don't necessarily become the best in the next level up.

One thing Russell can claim is that he has never been out-qualified by a team-mate.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Carlos taking Ferrari is probably seeming like a great thing for money but less so for his chances of a competitive drive with their equally as rapid progress in a downward trajectory! I wonder if he’s had a moment of doubt, mind you like CL I think he’s got the potential to get the best from it if they can sort themselves out. 

I agree that Sainz has proven himself to be a consistently quick driver. When he was with Verstappen at Torro Rosso, there was little between them.

Ferrari publicly stated that they would be off the pace for the first two races but were confident that their forthcoming upgrades would provide a major difference, although yesterday's collision did prevent them collecting 140 laps worth of race data.

There is also the closed season & many teams will already be well on their way to designing next year's car.

Discounting the Jean Todt era, Ferrari have consistently been the 2nd best team over the past 40 years so the last 2 races may be a small blip to this.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

This protest seems to centre upon the RP brake-ducts. These, and those of the 2019 Mercedes, will be subject to scrutiny by the tech rep, who will report back to the stewards. Phew.

I fear that if the protest is thrown out we will see a white and an orange Merc in the not too distant future

• Like 2

Hmmmm...do we worry about that if it makes the racing better ? It's a conundrum that you gather the best drivers from around the world but some get a good car and others a pile of poo. Whilst going one make is anathema to F1 DNA moving closer would let the best driver shine.

Aside from aero tweaks and finesse they all look the same now. Gone are the days of standout aesthetic designs sadly.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

I fear that if the protest is thrown out we will see a white and an orange Merc in the not too distant future

Just let them buy last years cars. Immediate performance boost, better racing, closer pack, less risk of a team collapsing and big teams wont be so inclined to spend squillions of pounds on something they are required to sell to 'non manufacturer' teams the following year - budget cap done.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Chrisr40 said:

Just let them buy last years cars.

Budget cap possibly but if everyone buys the same basic car it makes it easier to compare drivers but stifles innovation. You may as well put them in a fleet of Identical road cars each week. The little features that evened out Mercedes advantage last year would also be gone and those clever little things that balance on the very edge of the rules would be lost as they are intrinsic to the design of the whole car in many cases. Cheat or just very clever engineering on the edge?
F1 is meant to be the pinnacle of drivers and engineering ;) 

• Agree 3

19 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Budget cap possibly but if everyone buys the same basic car it makes it easier to compare drivers but stifles innovation. You may as well put them in a fleet of Identical road cars each week. The little features that evened out Mercedes advantage last year would also be gone and those clever little things that balance on the very edge of the rules would be lost as they are intrinsic to the design of the whole car in many cases. Cheat or just very clever engineering on the edge?
F1 is meant to be the pinnacle of drivers and engineering ;) 

I agree but it cant disappear too far up it's own ooozalum by being cutting edge and forget it's only there to entertain people and people are fickle...especially when they are on the brink of having to pay to watch races that are most likely decided already.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Will anyone want the Ferrari's? :jester:

I will give them a tenner for it...has it got tax and mot ?

Joking aside whilst it's not exactly stellar it's likely quicker than at least 3 or 4 teams so would be a jump up for them. Also you dont have to leave as is,  there would be nothing stopping you developing it further.

Edited by Chrisr40
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jonboy said:

There was a comment during last weeks highlights about the sky feed cutting off from the actionL so I wonder how limited they are in what they get footage wise.

Of course it isn't actually a 'Sky feed' - Formula One themselves create the footage which they feed to the live broadcasters - and no, they don't always feed the 'interesting stuff' - I can remember Murray Walker saying on more than one occasion as the feed showed the lead car going round on its own"This isn't what we want to see Mr Producer, there's more action going on further back".

Not that F1 are unique in this - I've often seen a box appear in FE coverage saying how many overtakes have taken place so far in the race, when they haven't shown anywhere near that many.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

There is also the closed seaso

Discounting the Jean Todt era, Ferrari have consistently been the 2nd best team over the past 40 years so the last 2 races may be a small blip to this.

I'm not sure about that - I seem to remember when Nigel Mansell was driving for them in the early 90s, he and Gerhard Berger seemed to retire from almost every race with gearbox issues.

• Like 1