Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Interesting. Looking at photos on the internet it seems that the "headlights" were a bit of a moveable feast. some show two lit, others only on the left or only on the right. This is on top of the two outside white marker lights.

Looks like either version could be said to be correct

Yes I've seen every combination of lights, must of been no set rule as you say. I've made the decoder software so you can select what you like the same as the real thing.

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

On clearing out some stuff over the festive season I found a photo I took on my little 110 cartridge camera back in the 80’s on the way to or from the grandparents. Nearly 40 years later we got a model that looks like it 😁

AB27774B-1437-4A59-B094-BD4ACBF94FBB.jpeg.03b4815504f30b78e4193e0f32d3ccad.jpeg

Cleaned up a bit from this

D879E743-47D4-4CF8-A1ED-1E391937B063.jpeg.cb237d8b1e44fca319f14982e4e21502.jpeg

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone managed to price putting a motor in the non-powered  power car?   All the parts seem to be available now but I haven't opened it up to see what's necessary. 

I think it needs two new bogies,  a motor and the drive shaftsbut there maybe more bits. Considering the price of the model the spare parts seem to be very cheap for some reason.

Sometime later…. 

Going on New Modellers Shop this is what I found so far: 

bogie x 7742 2 x 6.95

motor x 7743 x1  £15.95

cradle x 7751 x1  £3.50

drive shaft x 7745 x2 at £3.50

I think that makes a total of £40.35, if so a bit of a snip to get another working power car - with a bit of wiring necessary. 

Edited by Ducking Giraffe
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

21 hours ago, Ducking Giraffe said:

bogie x 7742 2 x 6.95

motor x 7743 x1  £15.95

cradle x 7751 x1  £3.50

I think that makes a total of £40.35, if so a bit of a snip to get another working power car - with a bit of wiring necessary. 

You'll also need the wiring harness at least (or make your own with fine wire and a 3rd party DCC socket).

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Ducking Giraffe said:

Has anyone managed to price putting a motor in the non-powered  power car?   All the parts seem to be available now but I haven't opened it up to see what's necessary. 

I think it needs two new bogies,  a motor and the drive shaftsbut there maybe more bits. Considering the price of the model the spare parts seem to be very cheap for some reason.

Sometime later…. 

bogie x 7742 2 x 6.95

motor x 7743 x1  £15.95

cradle x 7751 x1  £3.50

Thanks for the heads up. I've just ordered this. I plan to through wire the set with connector blocks between the coaches and get rid of the capacitors so will look at the harness at the same time when I get round to it...

• RMweb Premium

So I appear to have everything but expect the parts that connect the shaft to the motor than appear to be part of the motor spares pack. I have emailed Hornby as it wasn't in the motor pack.

image.png.a0bcaa8465066c5c5e9426e6d5471fc2.png

Looking for some upgrades for my apt set to make it run better and smoother

Is there anything I can replace the Hornby pickups with? and is there an improvement for the coach lighting? Maybe fitting a bigger capacitor ?

I’ve got the hunt couplings to fit already

3 hours ago, Monkey28 said:

Looking for some upgrades for my apt set to make it run better and smoother

Is there anything I can replace the Hornby pickups with? and is there an improvement for the coach lighting? Maybe fitting a bigger capacitor ?

I’ve got the hunt couplings to fit already

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/150509-Hornby-apt-2020-tooling/?do=findComment&comment=4791919

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/01/2023 at 13:00, E100 said:

So I appear to have everything but expect the parts that connect the shaft to the motor than appear to be part of the motor spares pack. I have emailed Hornby as it wasn't in the motor pack.

Did you get an answer to this? Was it a packing error? Did you need to order something else? Or can you not get this specific key part?

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Bloodnok said:

Did you get an answer to this? Was it a packing error? Did you need to order something else? Or can you not get this specific key part?

It would appear you cannot get the specific part seperately. I have emailed back saying I don't this is really on as it's clearly shown to be within the pack and the only reason I'm having to do so is to fix the under powered set in the first place. Still waiting on a reply.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 18/01/2023 at 13:00, E100 said:

Aren’t these in the prop shaft bag (X7745), the drive unit (X7742) already has these 2 attached. I’m assuming the piece on the metal shaft is the same size as the hole in the flywheel. 

13 hours ago, StuAllen said:

Aren’t these in the prop shaft bag (X7745), the drive unit (X7742) already has these 2 attached. I’m assuming the piece on the metal shaft is the same size as the hole in the flywheel. 

My set of bits has arrived now. The two large flywheels are attached to the motor, but the end of the U-joint is not included in this pack.

If you get the fully assembled bogies plus the propshafts, there are four worms with that end of the U joint fitted. In theory, dismantling two of them would give enough U joint ends.

However, you then need to mount this end into the centre of the flywheel, and there's no obvious way to do this as the motor shaft is not long enough, it ends inside the flywheel.

I'm going to take my factory motor and unpowered car apart this weekend and see if I can work out what's missing here. Perhaps it's as simple as gluing it in carefully?

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Bloodnok said:

My set of bits has arrived now. The two large flywheels are attached to the motor, but the end of the U-joint is not included in this pack.

If you get the fully assembled bogies plus the propshafts, there are four worms with that end of the U joint fitted. In theory, dismantling two of them would give enough U joint ends.

However, you then need to mount this end into the centre of the flywheel, and there's no obvious way to do this as the motor shaft is not long enough, it ends inside the flywheel.

I'm going to take my factory motor and unpowered car apart this weekend and see if I can work out what's missing here. Perhaps it's as simple as gluing it in carefully?

I cannot visualise the part you need, but it sounds like 3d printing could be a solution? Once it has been designed, then it is reproducible. If the component needs to withstand any force, then there seems to be an 'ABS like' printing resin available now which should be tougher than the original standard resin.

As usual, the hard bit is creating the artwork from accurate dimensions.

9 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I cannot visualise the part you need, but it sounds like 3d printing could be a solution? Once it has been designed, then it is reproducible. If the component needs to withstand any force, then there seems to be an 'ABS like' printing resin available now which should be tougher than the original standard resin.

As usual, the hard bit is creating the artwork from accurate dimensions.

Are there any 'similar' spare parts from other Hornby models that could be used instead?

I would have thought for the internals that they'll have a fairly standard set of components to drive bogies from the motors even if things like drive shafts differ in length

• 2 weeks later...

I took my motor coach apart today to identify the missing part, and how it works.

Here it is:

image.png.77dfc228f7bea16c73ef970cd7a2ade6.png

You can see the way it engages with the motor.

The good news is, you can re-create this piece. The bad news is the way you do it -- take the spare UJ end from the worm in the driveshaft bag, remove it from the worm shaft, drill a ~1.3mm hole right through it, ensuring you are aligned perfectly in the centre. Then interference fit push (or glue if you didn't achieve that) a piece of rod through it so it sticks out both sides and engages with the motor.

This is unbelievably fiddly. But, I've achieved it. Twice. I can confirm that the removed leg of a 1n5401 diode is perfect for this, although other sources of scrap to go in that slot in the flywheel are obviously also available.

But ... then I noticed I have only three screws in my motor bracket bag, and only three UJ centres between the two bogies and the two driveshafts. I will need to order a third driveshaft to get another UJ centre, and (unless I can find out what screw I need) an entire second motor cradle purely to get enough screws to mount the motor securely.

• Like 1

On 28/02/2022 at 09:31, PaulRhB said:

Interesting, is it a set though? It appears to be NDM, mk1, TBF, coach TBF, TBF, then more coaches. It just looks like they are stored rather than a ready to go train? 

Another late reply...

The ECML coasting tests used three trailer sets - 003, 006 and 007, with power cars 49001 and 49003.  In the Heaton photo what you're seeing is 49003, Test Service Car 9 (ADB975631), then the three cars of 370003 (behind the HST TGS); on an adjacent siding, partially hidden by the Mk2 First, is 49001 and the six cars of 370007.  370006 (not in the photo) was a two car formation with its nose cone removed, and was always the end coupled to the propelling Class 37s.  One or two power cars and either 003 or 007 would form the rest of the test rakes - I've seen most combinations in photos of the runs!  :)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Just a heads up, I'm picking up my first samples of a few pan adaptors for APT-P's. Mostly they are for the 80's version, but I have also produced one that allows a cheapie ebay pan from China to be fitted to the current version of the APT.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203786926505

Whilst not very accurate to a Faively pan, they are very robust. here's a pic of the first off mount - I've tried to copy the Hornby lower frame and should fit onto the black supports as the stock one does.

20230226_171952745_iOS.png.e234114ad61407ed8db3d16a4a4547e1.png

I'll post pics up once I have one fitted to a pan next week.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1