Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Cheshire Lines. said:

Hi All, I've had a go at improving the interior of the APT using photographs I took of the APT at Crewe Heritage Centre and then creating water slide decals of the tartan seat covers - 348 in total together with 3d printed head rests for 1st class. Also moved the capacitors under the the seats and created a bar background in the buffet car. Here are some photos and a video . . .

579489232_APTRMW1.thumb.jpg.0d1b82db4e354fe5a9deba12a122cbbf.jpg

IMG_6460.JPG

APT RMW2.jpg

That's superb.

Would you be open to sharing the files for the decals?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Cheshire Lines. said:

Thanks !  Yes happy to share the files - probably best to DM me. 

Would you make any of them available to buy at all? They look amazing, but not sure I’d know how to create them from a file!

5 hours ago, amwells said:

Would you make any of them available to buy at all? They look amazing, but not sure I’d know how to create them from a file!

I’ve got some spare decal paper so would be able to do that - best to send me a DM and we can work something out.

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Cheshire Lines. said:

Hi All, I've had a go at improving the interior of the APT using photographs I took of the APT at Crewe Heritage Centre and then creating water slide decals of the tartan seat covers - 348 in total together with 3d printed head rests for 1st class. Also moved the capacitors under the the seats and created a bar background in the buffet car. Here are some photos and a video . . .

579489232_APTRMW1.thumb.jpg.0d1b82db4e354fe5a9deba12a122cbbf.jpg

IMG_6460.JPG

APT RMW2.jpg

Well done for finishing off the model how it should have been.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Well done for finishing off the model how it should have been.

I doubt anyone would have been happy with the price increase to have someone apply all those transfers. Even Rapido got nervous about simpler Brummie Bus seating designs.

But then it's a job that we who do this for fun can reasonably easily do to make our model better than most. Then we can print them really big, and fit the result in our cars for proper 1970's TR7 effect!

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I doubt anyone would have been happy with the price increase to have someone apply all those transfers. Even Rapido got nervous about simpler Brummie Bus seating designs.

But then it's a job that we who do this for fun can reasonably easily do to make our model better than most. Then we can print them really big, and fit the result in our cars for proper 1970's TR7 effect!

Perhaps it's tartan that makes things tilt wildly? TR7, APT, most Scottish people (or is that the tonic wine? Allegedly.)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Bucoops said:

Perhaps it's tartan that makes things tilt wildly? TR7, APT, most Scottish people (or is that the tonic wine? Allegedly.)

Its possibly the Tartan that caused queasy reporters on the press run !

Ahh the TR7  , my dream car back in 77, until I found out what they were really like , which I think brings us nicely back to Hornbys APT.  Very similar quality wise . Looks nice on the outside but lots of problems. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

Hopefully transfers have given way to tampo printing on production lines.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Hopefully transfers have given way to tampo printing on production lines.

They have, but you'd need to have seats seperate from tables to get the tampo pad in, as well as multiple passes, the interior needs to be assembled from lots of components - it would all add to the cost. How much extra would you be willing to pay?

As I say, Rapido looked at it for bus moquette and decided a single colour was sufficient, and they aren't known for skimping on detail.

1 hour ago, Legend said:

Ahh the TR7  , my dream car back in 77, until I found out what they were really like , which I think brings us nicely back to Hornbys APT.  Very similar quality wise . Looks nice on the outside but lots of problems. 

That's a bit unfair. A Speke built APT would have expired in a ball of flame even before it got in the box! We got the Solihull version and there are plenty of good TR7s out there, even if there are some "interesting" design choices.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

They have, but you'd need to have seats seperate from tables to get the tampo pad in, as well as multiple passes, the interior needs to be assembled from lots of components - it would all add to the cost. How much extra would you be willing to pay?

If they told me how much I’d tell them if I was willing to pay the extra.

I’ve just paid £350 for a set of six very detailed suburban coaches, pretty sure I am going to be very happy with them.

That's SUPERB work, and it improves the look of the entire train no end. 👍

Reminds me of the tiny antimacassar decals that Railtec do for the Rapido E-Train TC1 VIP compartment. There was only one of the originals left, but luckily it was in my loft! 🙂

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

As I say, Rapido looked at it for bus moquette and decided a single colour was sufficient, and they aren't known for skimping on detail.

There's a difference with bus moquette in that its generally a fairly small pattern so scaling that down again to 1:76 it will be pretty indistinguishable from a single colour. With that APT tartan, the pattern is much bigger and is very distinctive to capture the feel of the interior.

I can understand completely why Hornby wouldn't go for the full bhuna either with transfers or tampo printing, but for such an iconic train I'd think there would be a market for transfers to apply ourselves.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Legend said:

Its possibly the Tartan that caused queasy reporters on the press run !

What was the slogan for the TR7 owners club? - "why not push your car to one of our meetings?"

• Funny 6

50 minutes ago, letterspider said:

Amazing work - should be a decal set offered by the likes of Fox / Railtec etc

Maybe Hornby could have supplied the decals (can't see that just the decals would add much to the costs) so they could have been fitted by the end user.***

I can certainly see that applying them at the factory would add a cost that many would not be happy with.

*** After all, we are used to adding many other detailing parts to the exteriors of models.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, e30ftw said:

bit anoying that the people who buy the first run help pay for the improved second run, but i guess thats what you get for diving in.

Apt mentioned at 56 Mins in the vid

20 hours ago, Johan DC said:

I'm afraid a lot of businesses work like that. 

Well it's there from an official Hornby source that the model has shortcomings and will be improved. But the issue of first versions being on the learning curve is age-old. My dad never bought a new-model car - he always said the Mk2 version would have the bugs ironed out (anyone remember the cable-operated gearbox on the first Austin Maxis?).

1 hour ago, andyman7 said:

(anyone remember the cable-operated gearbox on the first Austin Maxis?).

Unfortunatly, yes.

Otherwise, they were not a bad car - if you overlooked the orangepeel paintwork & the delayed action free rust.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andyman7 said:

(anyone remember the cable-operated gearbox on the first Austin Maxis?).

Only too well, I had to endure umpteen miles of test driving the things before they were announced. ☹️

No-one took the slightest notice of any of our test reports, and not only about the blasted gear change either, which made me wonder why we bothered. Just one reason why I left and moved to BR..........

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mr_Tilt said:

Only too well, I had to endure umpteen miles of test driving the things before they were announced. ☹️

No-one took the slightest notice of any of our test reports, and not only about the blasted gear change either, which made me wonder why we bothered. Just one reason why I left and moved to BR..........

So you left the sinking ship and joined one already on the bottom 😁

• Funny 6

On 07/06/2022 at 17:05, GordonC said:

I think its more telling that the problem was identified, recognised as unacceptable and still sold and distributed out regardless. Having heard SK's own words about things 'having to be right' and 'models being for keeps' it just shows what little value those words have and treats buyers of a £1000 complete set with contempt.

And yet the fan-boys will praise what a great job Hornby do and we dont know what we're talking about.

well I cant wait to watch how the newly announced series 2 of Hornby A Model world covers it, but like most Hornby announcements weve got to wait a year to see it 😉

Edited by stonojnr
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1