Bridport Town - Carrying On

DLT

• RMweb Premium

At Warley we had an electrical problem appear, with the big toggle switches starting to fail.  I was pleased to find you could still get the same item, but when the "new" ones displayed the same problem, realised the quality must have dropped off in the intervening years.  Going over to miniature toggle switches would have meant a whole new panel, as the holes were too big.  So (no I haven't gone DCC) I've replaced them all with slide-switches.

IMG_8533Small.jpg.f4a26c6d42628c99d0baf7772d353cb7.jpg

They are going to need a spot of bright paint on them to assist seeing their position.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi David,

What tool do you use to scribe your lines, they look clean and effective. Whenever I try that I find a scalpel, or blade, cuts well along a ruler but tends to be a very narrow relatively deep cut. If I use a tool that is more of a ‘vee’ it creates a wider notch but is more difficult to control.

I’m guessing there is no magic solution and you have to be careful.

And skillful!

Regards

James

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jamest said:

What tool do you use to scribe your lines

I use one of these myself.

Scriber.jpg.33181257fc27c7db54ba10e8a8d85e12.jpg

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/plastic-scriber-ii-tamiya-74091-p12642

@MrWolf also used to score thicker sheet plastics before snapping to get a nice clean line on the material 👍

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

With the doors cut to width, but left over-length at the bottom, hinge pins were added.  These are just right-angled bits of brass rod, a push-fit into a hole drilled horizontally into the door from the edge. 

Measuring from the top, the new doors match the old, so should fit the shed without any adjustment.

IMG_8564Small.jpg.da7bc21b9dd6ed81a1516334e2a2a450.jpg

IMG_8566Small.jpg.3bf77c318afa1dce662c7371cfacb99e.jpg

The other part of the hinge consists of a vertical short length of brass tube, with two horizontal bits of rod soldered to it.  These are then a push fit into horizontal holes in the doorframe.

The hinge-pins on the door then just drop into them.

IMG_8578Small.jpg.cb7f8bb98bbfbc1639d445dac621d6c6.jpg

IMG_8581Small.jpg.621f316f63e74db5bce30817bcff53a6.jpg

Finally the bottom of the doors are carefully trimmed, a little bit at a time, until they are just clear of the railhead.

IMG_8573Small.jpg.8c2d812e442fa780917f2067e792c37f.jpg

IMG_8574Small.jpg.1bf29d59a2adc87e68eb636819f77ef3.jpg

And structurally, that's about it.  Its all detailing now, hinges and other metalwork on the doors, a bit of graining and distressing, and building up the threshold and shed floor.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2

That looks so very precise Dave, as much engineering as modelling.

I hadn't thought to use my digital calipers to scribe with. I have some cheap and cheerful 150mm ones on the modelling bench, ( Genuine Snap-Off tools...) I'll give them a go. I'll be leaving the calibrated Mitutoyo ones down in my workshop though!

Another tool you may be aware of is the "Odd leg" or "Jenny" caliper. I've used them for sheet metal work for years and they're remarkably accurate, plus on plastic, they will plough out a groove rather nicely.

https://www.machine-dro.co.uk/moore-and-wright-125mm-5-jenny-odd-leg-hermaphrodite-calipers-341r

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi David,

Thanks very much for taking the time to explain your process so clearly. A few really good common sense tips there.

I’ve seen those ofla cutters mentioned before and have one…..just never really had much luck with it. Your method makes sense…..I’ve been trying to do it all with the ofla.

Thanks again….and great work on those doors….including hanging them!

regards

James

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Another tool you may be aware of is the "Odd leg" or "Jenny" caliper.

Thanks for that Mr.Wolf.  I have used an Oddlegs before, but I don't have one now.  The can get into spaces where the caliper can't.

Also, my caliper is one like this:  on Amazon  and certainly not a top-quality Mitutoyo product.  Just as well too, as I spilled Mekpak over it a while back...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, jamest said:

I’ve seen those ofla cutters mentioned before and have one…..just never really had much luck with it. Your method makes sense…..I’ve been trying to do it all with the ofla.

Hi James,

Yes I start with the caliper, and then continue with the Olfa.  If you are careful the Olfa will follow the scribed line.

Of course, this method only works with plasticard.  When I use cardboard for fixed door on buildings I scribe them with a knife.

Edited by DLT
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

25 minutes ago, DLT said:

Thanks for that Mr.Wolf.  I have used an Oddlegs before, but I don't have one now.  The can get into spaces where the caliper can't.

Also, my caliper is one like this:  on Amazon  and certainly not a top-quality Mitutoyo product.  Just as well too, as I spilled Mekpak over it a while back...

My caliper is a "Raydou" (No, I've never heard of them either...) Cost two fags and a balloon from eBay. It's accurate enough for the modelling bench.

My other one was a real bit of luck. I was working for that little firm who make everything from Vauxhalls to Cadillacs and asked if I could get my personal set calibrated. They failed dismally by their standards* and I was given a brand new pair from the tool stores on the understanding that I put my old ones in the vice before they went in the bin!

*I suspect that some bright spark had used them for an adjustable spanner.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Tools for adding hinge/metalwork details.  60x10thou (1.5x.25mm) Evergreen strip is embossed using screw dividers set to your desired bolt spacing.

IMG_8587Small.jpg.4c001817337a8410bcca95f6c7eb517a.jpg

IMG_8589Small.jpg.89a7355a0c889c4988428370353fe673.jpg

IMG_8590Small.jpg.b139dbc26bdcc72cb26d4298fa2bf676.jpg

The resulting curved strip is straightened by drawing it though your fingertips, and then fixed to the door with Mekpak.  Whilst holding it with fingers, use a MINUTE amount of solvent, just enough to hold it in place without gluing your fingers and leaving a massive melted fingerprint in the door....  Then add more solvent and align it with a straight edge or set-square.

IMG_8592Small.jpg.ba896587bcc55af5cf388016b7d1229b.jpg

I have already done a bit of texturing, adding graining with some light scribing, and/or coarse sandpaper.  Also a bit of distressing along the bottom of the doors where damage might occur, or the planks would rot. 

How far you take this depends on how old and decrepit you want it too look.

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium

Progress on the shed entrance, with "threshold" and steps down to the concrete floor.  All done with stripwood, one I found some the right size.

IMG_8601Small.jpg.3ff91eb23b782a5e8b2056e67225bccc.jpg

IMG_8600Small.jpg.20268105f420e938a1d444fd89c23041.jpg

IMG_8609Small.jpg.a42b3a7094670921893fc59886e8cc11.jpg

IMG_8599Small.jpg.19e7bded02fcd5e995872fe3b07c3616.jpg

IMG_8607Small.jpg.44b3073d0165ca1763ea2126da55823d.jpg

IMG_8597Small.jpg.08ae477f15231b7d5b20b6f766409017.jpg

IMG_8606Small.jpg.d3d0c4c7fd570609da37771b039c3005.jpg

Now need to subtly build up the ground/ash level around the entrance to hide that step up.  And try not to make it look too contrived.

The doors haven't fitted perfectly, as the shed has acquired a somewhat prototypical lean over time, and the entrance isn't square.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

That's a very thorough and well thought out job and there's no reason to think that raising the ground level up to the threshold of the shed would look contrived, as it would prevent water running into the building. Even a section of concrete with diagonal run off grooves cut into it if it's a posh shed!

As for the lean, perhaps a prop or two might be needed?  

BCRS0069.jpg.863bfc765107d6ca36363329f86f33e6.jpg

Photo: Bishop's Castle Railway Society.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks Mr.Wolf.  There's "ramshackle", and then there's "Bishops Castle"....

Bridport is meant to look cheap, but not TOO cheap.  The loco depot is based on the original shed layout on the Vale of Rheidol, but it's grown a few extensions to make it a bit more substantial.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

A shed is never big enough, you always need extensions and lean tos (or lean aways in the case of the Bishop's Castle) 

Perhaps they could be classed as a "sub shed"? 

It certainly makes the building more interesting and typical of such facilities.

As for the BCRly, I'm surprised that Tacitus didn't mention it in The Germania. 😆

• Like 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

If I can make a suggestion, the doors don’t look overdone to me, but I wonder if each might not be more chipped where they are slammed into the posts?

Edited by Jon Gwinnett
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1