Bridport Town - Carrying On

DLT

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

You use of the self-adhesive vinyl mirror has always been effective, I've been meaning to ask where you obtain it from?

Hi Graham,

There are many outlets via Amazon or Ebay, and they all get a mixture of 5 and 1-star reviews.   I THINK I remember getting from B&Q, and there seem to be different thicknesses.   I'll dig out the remains of my roll and check it.

Even though it looks great on the roll, its very difficult to get it stuck completely flat and you end up with a slightly mottled finish.   For this purpose though, that's ok.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, DLT said:

The corner board features structures based on bits of the Bridport Industries building, formerly Edwards & Sons Ropeworks.  See Here

As this is another distinctive building I wanted to feature it in the backscene, and much the same procedure took place with sketches etc, and this was the result.

EdwardsSketch8SmallCrop.jpg.5b97cbd408114ffe941ecb9ee288a120.jpg

IMG_8403Small.jpg.0be138cd7bbfef760d0fad085bd96095.jpg

IMG_8421Small.jpg.686281e0dc30e4896e515cdf6e813258.jpg

IMG_8432Small.jpg.5b2ef660f18ade5b89606e9d01b3d393.jpg

If anything its a bit too high, so I might try and lower it.  One of the advantages of Spraymount.

It's hard to believe that factory is just two-dimensional!

I've put the Weston show in my diary, as I'd really like to see this again. I think Bridport succeeds in capturing the true spirit of British narrow gauge by being so mundane and utilitarian; it completely resists the temptation to be self-consciously quaint or quirky.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 22/12/2023 at 12:06, Andy Kirkham said:

It's hard to believe that factory is just two-dimensional!

I've put the Weston show in my diary, as I'd really like to see this again. I think Bridport succeeds in capturing the true spirit of British narrow gauge by being so mundane and utilitarian; it completely resists the temptation to be self-consciously quaint or quirky.

Thanks very much Andy, sounds like I must be doing something right!  I've always set out to be mundane and everyday, although at times I think I've missed the mark. 

It started looking very "busy" on Sunday afternoon at Warley, with umpteen locos outside the shed, a Garratt pulling two-coach trains etc, etc.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Time for some more agonising decision making about small details!

Replacing the GW station nameboard, made with Slaters lettering with something more authentic.

Thanks to Stubby47 for pointing out the laser-cut alphabets from Scale Model Scenery  I have what they claim to be the 4mm scale set, and they're already bigger than than the original:

IMG_2793Small.jpg.81b8cad4765b5264f88e64293e0b344d.jpg

So the nameboard is being simplified, or it's size will dwarf the space its in.  I know these things are big, so I've tried a few variations to see how they look:

NameboardVariations2ShoppedSmall.jpg.8cfb5275f4b974dd84e9c16fc23513a6.jpg

I think bottom right is the favourite from a space/size point of view.  Whether it's "correct" I can't really say, as there seem to be many variations.  Also the style was used by the GW from about 1930 onwards I think, before that it was a different lettering style on a blue background.  But I'm no expert, this is more of a question for Wenlock or Bulwell Hall to comment on.

Several variations at Maiden Newton on Disused Stations

Edited by DLT
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry about this Dave  but I think the GWR used slightly smaller lettering for the name of the place you can change to.  so I would suggest 

BRIDPORT TOWN

CHANGE FOR

CHARMOUTH

I would suggest  it is Charmouth rather than the Marshwood Railway

Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Donw said:

Sorry about this Dave  but I think the GWR used slightly smaller lettering for the name of the place you can change to.  so I would suggest 

BRIDPORT TOWN

CHANGE FOR

CHARMOUTH

I would suggest  it is Charmouth rather than the Marshwood Railway

Don

Hi Don,

Yes I think you're generally right, problem is I've only got two sizes of lettering available!

There do seem to be many variations in size and letter spacing, possibly depending on the length of the names, or amount of information needed.

Several examples can be seen:  here,  Here,  Here,  Here  and  Here.  And a chat about the subject on RMweb  Here

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 02/01/2024 at 16:15, Donw said:

BRIDPORT TOWN

CHANGE FOR

CHARMOUTH

GWR style at Uffington in 1951 shows UFFINGTON and FARINGDON  (Branch) in same size lettering, however several pictures of Kingham show the "Change to" stations in smaller size lettering in both !908, and 1950's but there was a lot to get on the board with "Chipping Norton, Bourton on the Water and Cheltenham Lines"

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

And installed on the platform.

IMG_2811ShoppedSmall.jpg.bbb97a10e4e7d4dd87fe40f06d14455a.jpg

Still needs bedding down a bit, but that's not so obvious when viewing.

Bridport Town will be at Weston Super Mare this Sunday,  Weston Show  Is anyone coming?

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, DLT said:

And installed on the platform.

IMG_2811ShoppedSmall.jpg.bbb97a10e4e7d4dd87fe40f06d14455a.jpg

Still needs bedding down a bit, but that's not so obvious when viewing.

Bridport Town will be at Weston Super Mare this Sunday,  Weston Show  Is anyone coming?

I'm there with Penmaenbach...

51693692009_48a8b90ed2_c.jpg

Chris H

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...