Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Heljan class 28

class29returns

The overall look is over-chunky and toy-like to my eye, while the detail such as rails (particularly cab door handrails), wipers and separate attachments simply do not look anywhere near refined enough to be believable.

You guys are really killing me, I've almost just wet myself! laugh.gif

Hmmn! I wonder why the green machine looks a bit odder than the blue? Subconscious tricks or could it be that the body is on backwards? The Co bogie should be on the end with the cooling group! The Bo is under the cooling group on the green sample; the Co is correct on the blue sample. The factory had a 50-50 chance of putting the bodies on right way round and they seem to have met those odds with the first two, first article samples! wink.gif

Blue:

http://members.cox.n...7822_Qty1_1.jpg

Green:

http://www.ehattons....7819_Qty1_1.jpg

The other thing that does make it look odd, other than assembly silliness- the prototype has a really flush wind screen, the model has them recessed too far inwards, combined with the yellow painted window seal, looks very odd. Green should be better at hiding this deformity, although laser glaze is probably going to be the way to go here...

There is the issue with the vertical divider down the center on the three small grills on the cooling group end, easy enough to fix.

The over chunky handrails might go away with some weathering, the wipers could be replaced with etched parts.

Maybe a bit clumsy, but I don't see any show stoppers yet...

You guys are really killing me, I've almost just wet myself! laugh.gif

Don't be moving too quickly now ;)

The other thing that does make it look odd, other than assembly silliness- the prototype has a really flush wind screen, the model has them recessed too far inwards, combined with the yellow painted window seal, looks very odd. Green should be better at hiding this deformity,

I think you've probably sussed what I (thought I) meant Pete. I dont know whether that's correct or not for a FYE Metrovick but that's not my point - in the same way, the 27s with yellow seals also look odd compared to the more usual black (I'm talking about the prototype here). If we were looking at a SYP model (Metrovick), then whether it had the seals done in black or dark green, it wouldn't stand out so much

Hmmm, chunky perhaps. Having held this beast in my greedy grasping palms the only criticism I could level at it would be its pristine finish, leaving some of the detail rendered in warning yellow looking a bit, well - pouty. But then I look at photos of the real thing and try to mentally adjust for colour, contrast etc and actually I reckon Heltons have done a pretty much definitive job on the 28. I can't justify one (how many of us can?), but I'm more than likely going to get a greeny and weather her. In a layout setting these will appear exquisite, I have no doubt. biggrin.gif

The other thing that does make it look odd, other than assembly silliness- the prototype has a really flush wind screen, the model has them recessed too far inwards, combined with the yellow painted window seal, looks very odd. Green should be better at hiding this deformity, although laser glaze is probably going to be the way to go here...

Yeah, I agree about the windows. Laser glaze may not be essential though, if the moulding is as per the BRCWs, where a few strokes of a file lets you mount the same glazing at the correct "flushness".

With that in mind, and the slab sides of the model not really looking great in factory flat matt finish had me considering whether to get one and see what could be done about it. I think it's set to be a model that scrubs up nicely.

I do wonder if it is a physchological effect? We are accustomed to the old HD model, a quite crude diecast metal casting of a not too attractive slab. There is no real fine detail to accomplish except in odd areas like headcode discs; added to a plain green livery adorned(!) with a dip in custard yellow at the end, and highlighted by the cruel close up photography. Our brain subconsciously refers to the old model I am sure. Nevertheless, a good model I feel; I did have one on order but cancelled it as I can't really justify one. Would still like one though!

Stewart

I do wonder if it is a physchological effect? We are accustomed to the old HD model, a quite crude diecast metal casting of a not too attractive slab. There is no real fine detail to accomplish except in odd areas...

Again I can see this. The original, although it'd never win a beauty contest, was actually quite a 'clean' albeit stylised design, in the manner of some other (non-railway) machines of the time

• Like 1

Having seen the latest Hattons pics, I think the model suffers from 'perfect flatness syndrome' where in model form it is far easier to create a perfect slab side that in the prototype.

Most models see the body sides broken up by a mixture of grilles and doorways, however a plain expanse of flat metal appears spartan and (as in this instance) might give the impression a lack of detail.

In truth, plain sheet metal would show undulations even when new, and more so with wear and tear, distortion and damage. Un-rebuilt Bullied pacifics provide plentiful examples of this.

As far as I am aware, no RTR manufacturer has ever modelled such prototypical imperfections, perhaps because dents and deformations would be unique to individual locomotives. Whilst weathering may give the impression of decay and delapidation, there may be an argument for some prototypical 'generic' unevenness where such flat areas of metal exist, even for pristine models!

Notwithstanding, from the images it appears that the model is to a fine standard, and again Heljan must be applauded for producing a model that others would see as 'not viable'. I am sure that this will be another success.

N

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't know what it is, can't put my finger on it, but......., something doesn't look "right".

But then the real thing didn't look quite right.

Looks like they will be here soon then?

The 2800 release showing D5700 with all the picked out bogie detail looks great, though sadly the change of heart regarding the wrap round windows saw me cancel my pre-order some time ago....I am sure they will do it one day and I will certainly have one!

Still got D5705 on pre-order though, that'll do for the time being B)

The 2800 release showing D5700 with all the picked out bogie detail looks great, though sadly the change of heart regarding the wrap round windows saw me cancel my pre-order some time ago....I am sure they will do it one day and I will certainly have one!

Yes, the plain green one does looks nice. I too had pre-ordered one but cancelled when they announced it would not have the wrap-round windows. I can’t really justify one anyway but I would have made an exception for the original version. It seems quite a few others feel the same way. Was it just the windows that were modified or were there other noticable changes to the body detail made at the same time? If not, perhaps they'll do a batch if this one sells well? Here's hoping.

Just spoke to Hatton's as I don't want it delivered while I am on holiday. When I gave him them dates, they said not to worry as it was unlikely to be in before I come back in mid-August. He said it was imminent, but imminent in model railway terms.

• Like 2

something about this just hasnt grabbed me and made me think "I want"

I think its the finish, looks a bit Lima ish.

Im sure itll be nice, and I may get one in the future,maybe wait and see how it runs from others first and maybe get one if/when the price comes down.

Ive heard some recollections of them working through to the area I model (Liverpool) but never seen any shots of them in the area.

Ive always liked the Co-Bo, but at the moment Ill be taking a back seat but watching with interest, I think that may change if a nice photo of one turns up on a Liverpool exchange working :)

ps. ive sold the O gauge kit I had.

I just got a email from Hattons saying September 19th release date.

James

I was quite pleased with that announcement because it means that if the Baby Deltics come out in August, I don't have to take a hit for the cost of four BD's and a 28 in one go.;)

• 2 weeks later...

Ive always liked the Co-Bo, but at the moment Ill be taking a back seat but watching with interest, I think that may change if a nice photo of one turns up on a Liverpool exchange working :)

It's not a photo that was taken in Liverpool, but there is an image towards the bottom of the page in the link below of a GSYP example on a Workington-Liverpool Exchange working in 1963...

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/page9.htm