Heljan class 28

class29returns

• RMweb Gold

When I ordered my Co-Bo's when they were announced I asked if they would make sure there was enough room for a sound decoder and speaker, it seems whilst I have been able to fit a speaker they haven't left enough room for your average decoder never mind a sound decoder.

Well not wanting to be defeated I have tried the following method of fitting a sound decoder just under the motherboard on top of one of the bogies, it seems to work OK and the body fits back on!

post-6784-0-10798300-1316984896.jpg

post-6784-0-84438700-1316984896.jpg

I made a small plasticard shelf to stop the chip touching the crank shaft.

post-6784-0-74997100-1316984898.jpg

A Soundtraxx 23mm Mega Bass Speaker sealed in with bath seal

post-6784-0-52388300-1316984899.jpg

Before fitting the body back on

I will do some testing and it may need refining but it may be a solution to the problem.

Peter

Edited by Savoyard

I await the day it roars into life again. Probably be about 4 or 5 years or so with any luck. Theres the engine toi rebuild, body to repair in various places, all the elecectrics to rewire (some new wireing has been put in, but not all of it) the genny to overhaul..... the list goes on!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Liked the You tube of the Co-Bo with sound, all we need to do now is perfect the smoke generator and have black reek coming out of the flue.

Yes - the instant it started, but especially when it revved, I was looking for the tell-tale filthy black smokescreen almost hiding the loco from view. If there was ever a diesel which deserved a smoke unit it's the Co-Bo (and the Deltics of course).

I've recently bought "A Cumbrian Railway Album", an excellent book produced by the Cumbrian Railway Association. On page 52, there is a photo of two Class 28s hauling the 3-12 pm train from Workington to Liverpool Exchange on 22nd August 1962. I have previously avoided all temptation to purchase a Class 28 (let alone two) but if someone can tell me they worked through to Liverpool Exchange, I may just have to change my mind . . .

Stan

Yes - the instant it started, but especially when it revved, I was looking for the tell-tale filthy black smokescreen almost hiding the loco from view. If there was ever a diesel which deserved a smoke unit it's the Co-Bo (and the Deltics of course).

It'll come soon I'm sure - a general Q for everyone though - aren't the Deltics designed to "plume" ??

- not sure of the process that causes it though (much the same as B-52's smoke on take-off 'cos of the water added to the fuel during take-off ??)

It'll come soon I'm sure - a general Q for everyone though - aren't the Deltics designed to "plume" ??

- not sure of the process that causes it though (much the same as B-52's smoke on take-off 'cos of the water added to the fuel during take-off ??)

It's caused by a design fault. In the exhaust system there are collector drums that are supposed to stop oil passed through the engine (2 stroke remember) being sprayed out the exhausts. Unfortunately they dont drain properly and when the engine is worked hard it burns the oil off, hense all the smoke. Once its burned away they run clear. If it ignites, the only way to successfully put it out is to fully load the engine, not pour hundreds of gallons of foamy water down the port like what happened to D9016 when it was purple!

Jim

Edited by D605Eagle
  • Like 1

Hattons are aware of the issue re the polarity and have kindly supplied this link:

https://docs.google....?hl=en_US&pli=1

Its an easy job to do, 5 minutes or so, BUT, if you are not confident about doing it, dont attempt it and send it back.

And if you manage to make a mess will Hattons put it right.

Think that if it is a known problem then it should be put right before it leaves Hattons and not left to the purchaser.

If I decide to buy one and I am tempted, probable wait till I see one in the flesh ( L&Y DCC show I think unless I see one at M/Cr this weekend) then will pay Hattons a visit and request thjey do the mod.

Edited by johnd
  • Like 1

Think that if it is a known problem then it should be put right before it leaves Hattons and not left to the purchaser.

No, I disagree, they should never have left the factory like it, and to be fair, Hattons have been onto it pretty quickly.

There seem to be issues now with quality control, perhaps its out sourcing abroad, I dont know, but its not good business to have repeated problems regarding quality control and new releases.

Perhaps the answer would be to have them packaged in the UK? At least then defects etc can be sorted before they leave the shop.

Unpractical? I dunno, but I do know one thing, when I pay £125 for something new, I expect it to work right, first time straight out of the box whether its a loco, tele or whatever.

Theres a recession on, we are all feeling the pinch in one way or another and people can certainly chose what to spend their hard earned shekels on.

Imagine if one of the duffers had been submitted to a mag for a review, hardly good business is it?

Still at least mines sorted, Hattons will sort the others and they do look superb, so you pays yer money..........

• Like 1

No, I disagree, they should never have left the factory like it, and to be fair, Hattons have been onto it pretty quickly.

There seem to be issues now with quality control, perhaps its out sourcing abroad, I dont know, but its not good business to have repeated problems regarding quality control and new releases.

Perhaps the answer would be to have them packaged in the UK? At least then defects etc can be sorted before they leave the shop.

Unpractical? I dunno, but I do know one thing, when I pay £125 for something new, I expect it to work right, first time straight out of the box whether its a loco, tele or whatever.

Theres a recession on, we are all feeling the pinch in one way or another and people can certainly chose what to spend their hard earned shekels on.

Imagine if one of the duffers had been submitted to a mag for a review, hardly good business is it?

Still at least mines sorted, Hattons will sort the others and they do look superb, so you pays yer money..........

As the purchaser my contract is with the shop that provides, if there is a problem in manufacture it is up to the shop to sort it out with who made it. Isn't this covered by the Sale of Goods Act.

Still wonder if you attempt to correct the error and make a mess will Hattons put it right as technically you have invalidated the waranty. I still think it should be checked and put right if required before sale.

Lets hope this doesn't happen with the £199.00 Garratt.

Is this another black mark for Heljan?.

It should be right no matter the price, delay it if required but at least make sure it is right when it hits the shelves.

If I decide to buy one ( maybe if I see one at M/Cr this weekend) then I will visit Hattons and ensure it is right before it leaves the shop.

Why do we accept things that are wrong, if it was a car I bet it would be back to were it was bought.

Edited by johnd
  • Like 1

I put my Co-Bo on the rolling road today, and it ran backwards. Had to do the Hattons mod. I also found that more red tail lights came on in one direction.

You have to put yourself in the proper frame of mind. You are not buying Ready-To-Run! It is an almost finished kit, and all the parts are there, it just needs a helping hand... :D

My first Co-Bo arrived this morning, everything intact, although mine also ran backwards. I've done the reverse pole mod, be careful taking the body off with all that nice underframe detail and watch out for the end hoses catching the body. The tricky bit is releasing the catches and getting the individual wires out of the white plugs. All o.k. now, but also watch out for the thin strips of sticky grey foam dropping off the ends of the chassis, they block any escaping LED light from the cab and are easily stuck back on. Still love the model, it's a total babe, if an ugly duckling can be a babe?

Looking at early period photos of double-headed Co-Bos, they nearly always seem to be coupled Co-end to Co-end, with the Bo-ends leading. Perhaps the Co-end was noisier with the radiator roof fan right behind the cab and disliked by the crews? The exhaust ports seem to be in the middle, so would make no difference.

Cheers, Brian.

I am looking forward to receiving my D5705 from Hattons. It will join my two faithful Hornby Dublo models.

Having grown up in Western Australia where there were 48 locomotives with the same engine as the Co-Bo, I have a special affinity for their UK relatives.

What sound recording are people using? Listening to the sound on Savoyard's posting, the engine beat seems too regular and smooth when compared with my recollections of the Crossley engine in the X and XA class diesels of the Western Australian Government Railways. Its more like a four stroke to my ears.

The Crossley V8 configuration engine was two stroke and had a deep uneven "rum rum rum rum" beat at idle and when powering up the uneven beat from the two banks of cylinders was very noticeable. Listen to a Triumph Stag or P6 Rover 3500 motor car with a slightly throaty exhaust and the sound is not dissimilar. Drive off in a Stag and gently increase the revs as if notching up with set speeds and the sound resemblance is very strong. My mate who has a Stag does it often when wanting to wallow in the nostalgia of the Metro-Vicks. A fantastic sound and very loud, especially in their early days when the exhaust silencers were rudimentary. On a still night in the country a train could be heard coming from miles away, for 20 minutes or more; increasing revs to climb up undulations and going back to idle when coasting down the other side.

As for smoke, a good Crossley could emit black smoke so well under full power that the rear of the train couldn't be seen from the loco. When used on suburban passenger trains in Perth and after sititng at idle at the turn around points, oil would build up in the muffler and a trail of white smoke would billow around the train as the oil burned off when the muffler heated.

I await the postman and chance to swap the wires around. It will be a great day when D5705's engine return to life too.

• Like 2

The Metropolitan-Vickers Crossey powered locos in Australia ran on 3 foot 6 inch gauge track and there is a group of modellers who model in Sn3.5 or 1:64 that uses 16.5 mm gauge track. This enables those who aren't into scratch building the mechanisms to use ready to run ones. A four-axle bogie from the American DD40 locomotive is sometimes used under models of the Australian Metro-Vicks which had a 2-Do-2 wheel arrangement. There is a cottage industry amongst the narrow gauge modelling fraterinity in Australia who have produced a resin kit of the WAGR locos. I have instigated enquiries with a contact there to see if any who are into DCC sound took recordings and have applied them to their models. I think two of the preserved locos in Western Australia are capable of being started, but they are no longer accredited for operations on the main line and draconian regulation and prohibitive insurance costs have killed off the running of preserved trains. I guess if you could start one up and put it on a load bank to make the engine work hard, some fairly good recordings could be obtained.