MRJ 276

micknich2003

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

What's the railway line there?

Incline from the Beamish wagonway to East Stanley Colliery. Quite a bit of the track bed still exists and on the track bed is a beer garden for a rather splendid pub.

https://goo.gl/maps/hadZhs59sAcS5SwWA

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Pity Me.

I think there is no doubt, all of us that know you; do.

... but to the job in hand. Which Pity Me? Mine or the one near to St Enodoc. That's the one between Tredrizzick & Splatt.

Pity_Me-Roadsign-3aEditFrom5x7.jpg.ca21ff454807ccc8497fedfaac925f6b.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, LBRJ said:

Further to what  I said some posts ago about how MRJ is one to lay down for the future,  I have spent the last couple of days reading time on Issue 45 - more or less every page, and it was all good!

There seem to have been other examples of this phenomenon over the years.

A short while back, a number of people on this site drew attention to issues #5 and #6 - and some Monty Wells articles about converting Lima ( now Hornby Railroad) GWR railcars into a "twin" set.

I now really wish I'd got those magazines, as I might have found them very useful at the moment.

Unfortunately, I did not - so, if I ever get chance to do my own version, I'd have to guess where to cut the bodyshells and what roof vents go where. My loss.

Anyway, I'm not saying this as a "woe is me" routine. I'm also not trying to get anyone to go out of their way on my behalf. No - the reason I'm mentioning this is to make / reinforce the point about a number of articles in MRJ really becoming interesting / useful a number of years later, when the relevant back issues might not even be available.

I also wonder if there might be a market for an occasional "Best of MRJ" bookazine, targeted at modellers who, for various reasons, didn't get the magazines first time round.

My thoughts - for what they're worth (probably not much)... .

Huw.

49 minutes ago, Huw Griffiths said:

A short while back, a number of people on this site drew attention to issues #5 and #6 - and some Monty Wells articles about converting Lima ( now Hornby Railroad) GWR railcars into a "twin" set.

I now really wish I'd got those magazines, as I might have found them very useful at the moment.

Huw

Try the Magazine Store at the Vintage Carriage Trust at Ingrow...

https://www.vintagecarriagestrust.org/magazines.htm

You never know your luck, and they're always getting donations in.

A/box

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Huw Griffiths said:

Unfortunately, I did not - so, if I ever get chance to do my own version, I'd have to guess where to cut the bodyshells and what roof vents go where. My loss.

Anyway, I'm not saying this as a "woe is me" routine. I'm also not trying to get anyone to go out of their way on my behalf. No - the reason I'm mentioning this is to make / reinforce the point about a number of articles in MRJ really becoming interesting / useful a number of years later, when the relevant back issues might not even be available.

I also wonder if there might be a market for an occasional "Best of MRJ" bookazine, targeted at modellers who, for various reasons, didn't get the magazines first time round.

My thoughts - for what they're worth (probably not much)... .

Huw.

According to the Titfield website they have some copies of No6 that have been recently found......

Izzy

• Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Yours, primarily due to a civil engineering contractor based there.

What, them cheapskate foreign owned plumbers that own quite a few reservoirs & water courses and constantly overcharge their water rates and underpressure their mains?

How's your reservoir doing btw. Should be brimming & muddy after the storms of a few weeks ago.

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

What, them cheapskate foreign owned plumbers that own quite a few reservoirs & water courses and constantly overcharge their water rates and underpressure their mains?

Not quite, back in the 80's/90's before all the current silliness took hold.

56 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

How's your reservoir doing btw. Should be brimming & muddy after the storms of a few weeks ago.

I reckon 2/3rds full, but perversely, the more water there is means there is less land and road access so more anglists turn up to sit on each others shoulders. Strange lot!

Mike.

2 hours ago, Huw Griffiths said:

I think the problem there is that nobody would be able to agree on which bits are the 'best of', and 'best of' wouldn't necessarily equate to 'most useful'.

6 hours ago, Huw Griffiths said:

Huw.

eBay currently has No 5 for £3.99 with free postage

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F184062240536

also No 6 for £2.50

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F233236852823

//Simon

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 30/01/2020 at 12:04, Huw Griffiths said:

... I'm not saying this as a "woe is me" routine. I'm also not trying to get anyone to go out of their way on my behalf. No - the reason I'm mentioning this is to make / reinforce the point about a number of articles in MRJ really becoming interesting / useful a number of years later... .

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for all your efforts on my behalf.

Although I really wasn't looking for anyone to go out of their way on my behalf, I still appreciate everything you've said and done for me.

Thanks, guys.

OK - so my earlier post led to a number of "law of unintended consequences" style responses - which clearly demonstrate the helpfulness and fundamental decency of a number of the people around here. Please don't get me wrong - I really like this - and I'm genuinely grateful.

However, the main point I was seeking to make in my earlier post was in response to a suggestion of "laying down" issues of MRJ - a bit like vineyards and wine collectors carefully holding onto fine wines - in the expectation that they'll become even better and more desirable over time.

In an effort to reinforce this point, I wanted to mention some very early MRJ articles that a number of people have already drawn attention to in other threads on this site. For this purpose, I reckoned that the Monty Wells "GWR twin railcars" build articles were probably as good a choice as any.

In other words, what I'm trying to say is this:

I was actually setting out to reinforce another person's point about some magazine articles becoming more interesting and more useful with the passage of time.

Unfortunately, I didn't choose my words well enough - which led to a misunderstanding and a number of people going out of their way on my behalf.

I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize for this, whilst also thanking a number of people here.

Sorry guys - and many thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Re. Dent and Dentdale, I have had some PM correspondence with Ian Nuttall, who assures me that his model of Dent Head viaduct is to scale and is based on official drawings*, the only compression being the omission of one arch - a compromise to which I had not, in fact, objected. I accept that my scaling of the dimensions of his model from the rolling stock is in error. I would like to publicly apologise to Ian for having expressed doubt about the accuracy of his splendid model; I suspect that the photographs in the MRJ article do not do it justice - I would savour a view of the whole structure from a low vantage-point, as I have often seen it from the road climbing up from the valley bottom.

*Anderson & Fox, Stations & Structures of the Settle & Carlisle Railway, reproduce an official drawing of Arten Gill viaduct. This gives the widths at the tops of piers of 6 ft for the ordinary piers and 18 ft for the buttressed piers. Using the scale bar, the span is 45 ft, which agrees with the 44 ft/45 ft figure quoted elsewhere - as far as I'm aware all the S&C viaducts were built to a standard set of dimensions, with the exception of the two skew viaducts over the Ribble near Helwith Bridge.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3