LNER J26 announced!

Garethp8873

Regarding the delayed J26, I hope it is because they are improving the chassis and the current collection wipers.

I bought both LNER J27s and both developed the same problem on their first run out of the box - they ran forward fine, then on the first run backwards a strange noise started, and on inspection one wiper on each loco had twisted round and was catching between the wheel spokes. It was a different position wiper on each loco, one was rear left and the other was front right. Both were sorted out with a fine screwdriver blade, but both are now mis-shapen and don't contact their wheel tyre as well as they might. The loco needs stiffer / better current collectors on the driving wheels.

On a related issue, the tender pickups are also weak, on LNER No.1214 the pickup on one side on the tender middle axle doesn't even touch the wheel. There seems to be no springiness in the pickups to press them against the wheel tyre. Once they are bent they stay bent.

The second issue with my J27s is they are noticeably stiff going through Peco #2 radius points ST-240 / 241 (the set-track points - I know I shouldn't use them, but in a limited space...). In contrast my Hornby J15s glide through my passing loop of Peco #2 points, so an 0-6-0 chassis can cope with set-track!

On the positive side, the J27 looks wonderful, especially the fully lined LNER No.1214, and when working properly they move slowly, smoothly, and silently. I can't quite decide whether No.1214 looks nicer than the also lined Hornby  J36 LNER #722, the early L. &. N. E. R. with the number below on the tender on both locos to me looks splendid, and the best LNER goods lettering, but the J27 certainly looks a more powerful and purposeful engine and the 2-window cab also gives it more substance.

Best regards,

Bill.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BillB said:

Regarding the delayed J26, I hope it is because they are improving the chassis and the current collection wipers.

I bought both LNER J27s and both developed the same problem on their first run out of the box - they ran forward fine, then on the first run backwards a strange noise started, and on inspection one wiper on each loco had twisted round and was catching between the wheel spokes. It was a different position wiper on each loco, one was rear left and the other was front right. Both were sorted out with a fine screwdriver blade, but both are now mis-shapen and don't contact their wheel tyre as well as they might. The loco needs stiffer / better current collectors on the driving wheels.

On a related issue, the tender pickups are also weak, on LNER No.1214 the pickup on one side on the tender middle axle doesn't even touch the wheel. There seems to be no springiness in the pickups to press them against the wheel tyre. Once they are bent they stay bent.

The second issue with my J27s is they are noticeably stiff going through Peco #2 radius points ST-240 / 241 (the set-track points - I know I shouldn't use them, but in a limited space...). In contrast my Hornby J15s glide through my passing loop of Peco #2 points, so an 0-6-0 chassis can cope with set-track!

On the positive side, the J27 looks wonderful, especially the fully lined LNER No.1214, and when working properly they move slowly, smoothly, and silently. I can't quite decide whether No.1214 looks nicer than the also lined Hornby  J36 LNER #722, the early L. &. N. E. R. with the number below on the tender on both locos to me looks splendid, and the best LNER goods lettering, but the J27 certainly looks a more powerful and purposeful engine and the 2-window cab also gives it more substance.

Best regards,

Bill.

I must have been lucky. After a little sorting, my plain black LNER version runs beautifully and looks lovely. It’s easily the best of the Oxford bunch and the sound project is nicely done too. Such a contrast to the Dean Goods. The J26, if it comes, would be very welcome. With increasing interest in pre-grouping and a couple of NER locos available, ones in NER livery might be viable.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, D5158 said:

Interesting it is being worked on as opposed to renumbering the J27.  
May be we will get round cab windows, different chimneys and domes and tender rails.

Taff did mention the boiler, so there’s hope. With NER wagons emerging from other manufacturers, it would be nice if they produced it in NER livery as well.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/09/2023 at 19:12, D5158 said:

Interesting it is being worked on as opposed to renumbering the J27.  
May be we will get round cab windows, different chimneys and domes and tender rails.

If it doesn't have round windows it is less likely to be a J26.  Admittedly some did get shaped windows, but no balance weights to the wheels.

Les

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Ah - I’ve now found some footage on Instagram from Oxford, which shows the unveiling of their stand by Eloise at Warley today!  There are 3 samples of the J26 on the stand, and a screen says that they currently expect availability in Q3/4 2024. 

One of our number may have taken photos they can share?

John S

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, ovbulleid said:

Has any artwork or running number info been released? 

The Oxford Diecast website suggests the following:

Early 65736

Early 65767

Late 65736

LNER 5738

No info on an NER version.

Edited by JShow
Added last sentence.
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

E-Mail Update from Oxford Rail today :

Oxford Rail Update March 2024

For those of you who attended Warley Model Rail Show in November 2023, will know that we featured some first shots of the J26. We also had a 3D print of the much anticipated Cowans & Sheldon 15t Crane. Here we are updating you on the progress of development. .

J26

Current Stage

We have just finalised the CAD for our tooling amendments and we are now looking forward to receiving new samples. We have reworked this product to ensure that it is produced accurately to a high standard.

Once we have received the latest samples, we will make any necessary amendments before moving to production.

Below – 3D render of all four versions of the J26, (Left to right OR76J26001, OR76J26002, OR76J26003 and OR76J26004).

Product Updates

There are the 4 standard versions and 4 Sound Fitted versions we will be releasing Q4 2024 (estimated date)

From our original announcement Version 001, we have amended the tooling and changed variant name. We have also announced version 004, an NER version.

OR76J26001LNER (plain black) 1057 0-6-0 Class J26£129.95*description and tooling amendment

OR76J26001XSLNER (plain black) 1057 Class J26 Sound Fitted£229.95*description and tooling amendment

OR76J26002BR Early (plain black) 65767 0-6-0 Class J26 £129.95 

OR76J26002XSBR Early (plain black) 65767 0-6-0 Class J26  Sound Fitted£229.95 

OR76J26003BR Late (plain black) 65736 0-6-0 Class J26 £129.95 

OR76J26003XSBR Late (plain black) 65736 0-6-0 Class J26  Sound Fitted£229.95 

OR76J26004NER P2 (lined black) 1678 0-6-0 Class J26£129.95NEW livery announced

OR76J26004XSNER P2 (lined black) 1678 0-6-0 Class J26 Sound Fitted£229.95NEW livery announced

• Like 6

It’s good to see the NER livery being offered. With the increasing interest in pre-grouping, I thought it was an opportunity missed not to produce the P3 in NER livery. Of course, the case now is stronger than it was when the P3 was produced with Accurascale producing NER wagons.

• Like 4