26 minutes ago, KDG said:

All a bit of a pickle.  Someone just lost my vote, don't trust the others either though....

What's a chap to do?

Just spare a thought for those of us who were conservative party  activists in the past,  and now are politically homeless 

That network north document looks like it was drafted on the proverbial fag packet, not just the contents but even the some of the sentences are incomplete.  And branding improvements in Devon and Cornwall as the north     ( need to repair the damage in the wall caused by my head)

The only railway project not on that list is four tracking Welwyn... mind you as  the MP is G Shapps ...

Oh for the MPs of old like Robert Adley who had the knowledge

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Foulounoux said:

Indeed.  He was very critical in the run up to rail privatisation as I recall, calling it a 'poll tax on wheels'.  I'm not sure that his criticism would be tolerated in the party these days

I dread to think what he'd make of todays announcement.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, mcowgill said:

The report says that Phase 2a safeguarding will be lifted in the next few weeks, Phase 2b by summer next year once they have decided what needs to be kept for any NPR proposals.

Goodbye Phase2

Which presumably by removing the safeguarding, would have the effect after any change of government at the next general election, of preventing any easy resurrection of HS2 plans north of Birmingham.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

15 minutes ago, 4630 said:

Indeed.  He was very critical in the run up to rail privatisation as I recall, calling it a 'poll tax on wheels'.  I'm not sure that his criticism would be tolerated in the party these days

I dread to think what he'd make of todays announcement.

Lets just say in those days heckling at party conference didn't lead to eviction .....well no one evicted me:-)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 4630 said:

Which presumably by removing the safeguarding, would have the effect after any change of government at the next general election, of preventing any easy resurrection of HS2 plans north of Birmingham.

Its never coming back… because it was never coming in the first place.

it was always a pipe dream that would eventually burst imo.

you can say i’m yee of little faith, but I grew up, up north and saw the dereliction with my own eyes… Ive never believed a word of politicians.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

The cancellation has led to one totally amzing thing.  On PM the BBC interviewed somebody who actually understood why it is being built. (not that many people seemed to believe him).  But incredible taht teh media actually foi und someone who understood it.

As I understand we are now in teh situation thata. railway which was not going to be built for several years and was unlikely to open before 2040 is now being replaced by another railway which has already been partially announced on which work wasn't going to start until 2041 and will now follow a slightly different route but on which no money s likely to be spent until 203.

What I can't understand is quite why or how this will save money in the Autumn Budget statement or indeed any budget statement for the next 5 years or more but wil instead cost goodness only knows how much in cancellation fees.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

So this is what he is offering:

image.png.1cafd824ce69e6330f1fe41817dced6f.png

Does anyone know or care in positions of power that Stockport, on the existing Piccadilly to Euston line still has manual signal boxes ? Not on the above list apparently !!! (2025 replacement at the earliest I understand)

Ding - Call attention

Ding, Ding Ding, Ding Ding,  - High Speed Two express entering section at much reduced speed

Ding Ding Ding, Ding   Get off your backside and pull some levers, whoops, it's gone !!!!!!

Ding-Don  g  Merrily on high
In Stockport bells are ringing.
Ding-Don g  Verily the sky
Is riven with angels singing:

Ahhh aha ha ha, Ahhh aha ha ha, Ahhh aha ha ha, Ahhh aha ha ha,
Sic Transit Gloria in excelsis!

image.png.96e8e25a0b025225eda210e4d41d7fba.png

image.png.5c34d526bb9fbec86212fa3ea4c81fbe.png

image.png.8e718a31914f8133bdd9b545987c1334.png

As we dash towards "Net Zero" there will be many, many more U turns and cock ups. I wonder if these boxes will still be in operation in 2050 !!!!!

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

I wonder what Mike, who started this thread, is thinking, as he looks down on all of this from above...

Probably glad he's out of this earthly pool of mire.......

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

'Like @woodenhead I have refrained from comment due to the forbidden P word and I' m angry but the localiquid harvest helps dull the pain here in the Cognac region where @Mike Storey lived, just 4 miles away if I was a crow.  However work on what remains of HS2 is ongoing.  Perhaps the Euston tunnels wilat least be startedand not paused. 

Other tunnels are progressing, well allegedly.  Mary Ann in Bramford No 1 drive seems to have achieved the impossible a d one 220 metres in reverse.  She was reported at 98 metres yesterday after being at 324. Perhaps so eone entered the weeks progress rather than the total distance.  Florence seems have paused but Cecilia is catching her up at the 13 km. Mark.  Sushila a d Caroline are both well past 2km.  

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Everytime you get on a bus, part of the fare will come from the HS2 credit card… 

The seeming never ending rail strikes will not have encouraged the Govt to spend money on railways, especially when buses continue to run every day.

• Agree 5

Q. - How do you make more use of smart motorways between London, Birmingham and Manchester?

A. - Make travelling by rail so damned expensive and awkward that those who can give up rail travel and go by car or coach.

Q. - How do you make travelling by rail so damned expensive and awkward?

A. - Increase rail fares by RPI, which in most years is more than either CPI or the rise in wages or salaries.

Build a line from the outskirts of London to a new station in Birmingham with a connection to the WCML south of Stafford so that travellers from Central London have to change trains at OOC and reduce the number of fast through trains from Euston to get people to use the new line.

Close ticket offices.

Break the rail network up into a multitude of commercial entities who when things go wrong try to pin the blame on everyone else so thay they don't have the carry the financial can.

Make so many unneccessary concessions to vested local interests and "nimbyism" that building a new line becomes so prohibitively expensive that it is cut back to save money with the result that the bit that is built is so compromised that the benefits are severely reduced.  

Need I go on?

OOC to Birmingham Curzon Street must the the first time that a brand new heritage railway has been built, because at the end of the day that it all that it will be good for IMHO.  

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, GoingUnderground said:

OOC to Birmingham Curzon Street must the the first time that a brand new heritage railway has been built, because at the end of the day that it all that it will be good for IMHO.  

Now steam on High Speed 2 I could be convinced to ride behind…but i’m still awaiting steam on HS1…

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 3

This is hilarious - goes from bad to worse !!!!

Government pledges to extend Metrolink line to Manchester Airport... where it already exists

"This will come as a shock to those who’ve been using the Metrolink line to Manchester airport since [checks notes].... November 2014"

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/government-pledges-extend-metrolink-line-27842632

Nobody told them that the "Spades have been taken out of the ground " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brit15

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, scottystitch said:

Man forced to sell home for HS2 has 'lost everything' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-67006024

Typical anti HS2 reporting by the BBC.

The  property did not qualify for compulsory purchase. All subsequent events were down to him and nothing to do with HS2. I wrote long ago that people around Wendover are very pleased with how their situation has been resolved. Are you just repeating what the BBC say, or do you know that he was actually forced to sell his home?

If so who by?

HS2 has made a mess of some aspects of the work, but compensation has been dealt with very generously from what I have seen. That is part of the reason for the high spend. 

Bernard

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Foulounoux said:

Just spare a thought for those of us who were conservative party  activists in the past,  and now are politically homeless 

That network north document looks like it was drafted on the proverbial fag packet, not just the contents but even the some of the sentences are incomplete.  And branding improvements in Devon and Cornwall as the north     ( need to repair the damage in the wall caused by my head)

The only railway project not on that list is four tracking Welwyn... mind you as  the MP is G Shapps ...

Does Sunak or his wife own any road building companies? 🤣

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2