The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Star Trek: Picard

PenrithBeacon

The first episode in being shown free on Youtube if you want to try before you buy. Technically this is only for people in the US but this can be bypassed by using a VPN or a proxy server such as HMA.

I plan to give it a try later.

https://www.cnet.com/news/watch-the-first-episode-of-star-trek-picard-free-on-youtube/

Edited by Karhedron

1 hour ago, Karhedron said:

The first episode in being shown free on Youtube if you want to try before you buy. Technically this is only for people in the US but this can be bypassed by using a VPN or a proxy server such as HMA.

I plan to give it a try later.

https://www.cnet.com/news/watch-the-first-episode-of-star-trek-picard-free-on-youtube/

Make it so!

:D:D

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Have watched both episodes and got bored by the droning on of Picards aid trying to explain something I couldn't get to grips with but having said that I will stick with it and watch it develop.

I enjoyed both series of discovery and the second one just got better and better so really looking forward to the 3rd series.

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

Been watching Picard, and I am still to warm to it.  As I understand it, the story arc is to be played out over three seasons!

As for "Discovery", I was given the dvd set of season one as a present; although I enjoyed it there were a lot of references (copying?) from other episodes in other iterations of the Star Trek universe.  For example, the alternate universe episodes in season one were all too like "Enterprise" for me; the twist at the end of that story did, I think, redeem it.  I would suggest that this is a "fan-boy" targeted spin-off.

Regards,

Alex.

Have watched Picard Episodes 1-3, enjoyed it (I also enjoyed Discovery, which definitely got a lot better in season 2!).

Episodes 1-3 of Picard are the pilot episode really. The show doesn't really officially considered starting until Episode 4 as a result, so bear that in mind.

Episodic format of tv died in the 90s really, after Babylon 5 became popular with the story arc, and DS9 then took that on board to some extent, since then Trek has been serial rather than episodic much more.

You will be hard pressed to find shows that stick rigidly to the episodic format these days really, especially on the streaming services, where serialised series work better for that format.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Spoiler alert!

From episode four it seems to get a little silly as Picard gains his own personal Elf bodyguard, complete with sword.  Okay, so I know that the character of Elnor is meant to be Romulan but it has now gone a bit 'Lord of the Rings' on us.  With hints of demons and prophecies I wonder what we'll get next - a cosmic Balrog?

Will I keep watching ….. yes.

Regards,

Alex.

• Agree 1

Generally, when writing fiction, a fair rule is to not write overpowered characters.  Recent Star Trek reboots suffer because of this seeming necessity to 'have a bigger bear'.  I haven't yet watched 'The Orville' but I know I'll enjoy it because (I am led to believe) it does not do this.

in Discovery, the ship itself is just way too bonkers for Star Trek, as is the engineer behind it.  Plus, if you didn't know, the ship and all the characters were plagiarised/stolen from an indie computer game designer (look it up) and CBS/Paramount are doing their damnedest to bury the reporting of the court case.  For this reason, I stopped watching Discovery.

In Picard, it began ticking along OK - the initial core character being who she was...  that was just about acceptable.  However, since then, the home-help's 'vocational history', the Romulan Section 31, and killer nuns (!)...  yeah.  It just smacks of bad writing.

That said, if you can see past that and suspend your disbelief in the details (ST5, anyone?) it's well produced and directed, and holds the attention. 

It's shaping up to be a cross between Voyager, The Hobbit and Firefly...  the best bit is simply regarding the other core character...  I'm genuinely intrigued as to what's going to happen and how it will all pan out.   If you genuinely want to watch the next episode, rather than watch out of some sense of obligation, it's probably AOK.

Edited by FoxUnpopuli
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, FoxUnpopuli said:

Generally, when writing fiction, a fair rule is to not write overpowered characters.  Recent Star Trek reboots suffer because of this seeming necessity to 'have a bigger bear'.  I haven't yet watched 'The Orville' but I know I'll enjoy it because (I am led to believe) it does not do this.

Definitely watch The Orville. It's more than the Star Trek spoof it first appears to be. More like Trek with normal people instead of insufferable try-hards.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'm enjoying Picard. The first 3 episodes clearly have been setting the scene for what is to come.

I also enjoyed Discovery. Can never understand those that knock every iteration of the Trek universe, comparing everything to the original series, which was pretty sure by current standards. Though I still love it. 

I've enjoyed everything Trek, though Next Gen is my overall favourite.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Since I only have FTA and Prime I do miss quite a few series.

What side was ST Enterprise on?

I think Voyager was BBC2

ST and STTNG definitely BBC2

As to other SF series.

Seen some on C4 but cannot remember what it was.

Firefly DVD

Space Above and Beyond ITV

Farscape BBC then TPB later DVD

Stargate TPB.

Man in High Castle Prime

Mr Robot Prime

I had a 3 month trial of Netflix from PSN managed to knock out another series by Charlie Brooker

As to Picard thankyou Jeremy for the final push to Prime.

On 04/02/2020 at 14:23, brossard said:

I'm watching, overall I think it good.  I am taken aback by the extreme language though.  I never feel that sort of thing is appropriate for TV, and I'm no stranger to it.  Seems to me that there are people who won't watch because they are offended by the swearing.

John

The 'streaming' services are not defined as broadcasters and obviously the nature of the service means there is no watershed anyway, hence the language, though to be fair if I was being shot it it's possibly more realistic.

jh

I've now watched three episodes and really not too impressed (especially by the 5 min ad from CBC for one of their shows in the middle of episode 3).  There is a chunk of PC that irritates me (check the ratio of 'powerful' women to men) although not too bad.  The 'elf' character is so wrong and the story line is basically weak.  Will watch episode 4 based on comments here but if it doesn't improve the show will be relegated to the PVR.

Q is a strange one

The really strange thing comes from when you see the character "Discord" in "My Little Pony" (I have three young foster-daughters so its pretty much on continuously somewhere in the house!).  Voiced by the same actor who plays Q in very much the same style... the creators of MLP have said that Discord is basically Q, and assumed to be the same character appearing -with the same mannerisms and motivations- in the cartoon...

Space Above and Beyond ITV

Now there's an underrated series... I remember when I was younger being allowed to watch it on telly when it was first on in the 90's, and being quite interested in it.  Then I picked it up on DVD last year and binge-watched it, and it appealed a whole lot more.  Considering the age of it, the effects hold up pretty well, but what struck me was how it looks almost like a proto-version of the remade Battlestar Galactica, everything grounded in reality (solid-shot weapons instead of phasers, great hulking bricks-in-space starships instead of the Enterprise).  The story is good, and considering it only got one series, there's some proper character development too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, brossard said:

I don't think this kind of language adds anything to a drama.  Realistic?  Who knows, it's the 24th century, anything could happen between now and then.

John

Belgium! (And if that doesn't offend then how about a game of cricket?!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Ben B said:

The really strange thing comes from when you see the character "Discord" in "My Little Pony" (I have three young foster-daughters so its pretty much on continuously somewhere in the house!).  Voiced by the same actor who plays Q in very much the same style... the creators of MLP have said that Discord is basically Q, and assumed to be the same character appearing -with the same mannerisms and motivations- in the cartoon...

Now there's an underrated series... I remember when I was younger being allowed to watch it on telly when it was first on in the 90's, and being quite interested in it.  Then I picked it up on DVD last year and binge-watched it, and it appealed a whole lot more.  Considering the age of it, the effects hold up pretty well, but what struck me was how it looks almost like a proto-version of the remade Battlestar Galactica, everything grounded in reality (solid-shot weapons instead of phasers, great hulking bricks-in-space starships instead of the Enterprise).  The story is good, and considering it only got one series, there's some proper character development too.

Space Above and Beyond - great show - and a great reworking of the elements of the US Pacific Campaign of WW2.  Killed off, I believe, by the schedulers continually moving it around.  I read somewhere that all the pre-shooting work had been done for season 2 before it was dropped.  A real pity.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, MJI said:

Stargate TPB.

Stargate SG-1 one of the best sci-fi series of all - actual a very coherent basis in science behind it.  And they had fun too.  The 'Groundhog Day' episode is hilarious.

"IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACKSWING?!"

See if you can find 'Almost Human'.  An underrated future buddy-buddy cop series by J.H.Wyman with Karl Urban.  And cancelled after one series, like Firefly, just when it was getting good.

Edited by FoxUnpopuli