Ebay won't let me pay - help!

Ruston

FWIW, eBay purchased PayPal back in 2002 and then spun it off in 2015, but the two organisations remained tightly linked with PayPal continuing to process payments for eBay.  Some of these thread posts seem to conjoin eBay and Paypal as a single entity but this has long since changed so your post of the payment screen is a timely reminder that there are choices at the checkout, which I value.

If you don't get them, then you should revisit your eBay payment options.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Ruston said:

No text has come from my bank.

I've asked the seller if he will take a cheque. After that all I can think of is to erase my ebay account and create a new one and see if that works.

Just to make clear, the text should come as an SMS to your mobile.

Cancelling your ebay account will not help.  The problem centres on your bank and its new security procedures.  It sounds as if they have not updated your data yet or have done it wrongly if you are getting the same error message from Ebay.

I thought as it won't allow me to pay with my card I'd create a paypal account to pay for things on ebay. I typed in all my details but it won't get past telling me to check my phone number. I've checked my effing phone number! Computer says no.

I've tried both my mobile and landline numbers but it won't have it.  Just to test it I put in a friend's phone number and it seems to accept that but I won't create the account using someone else's number, obviously. So why won't it accept my numbers?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A bit late to this party but something that people might like to consider. Over this weekend I also found, for the first time, that I was unable to pay for an eBay item using Paypal. After several attempts and looking at all the settings for both Paypal and eBay, which were all correct, and even turning the PC off and on again(!). I solved it by switching Browser from Chrome to Edge. After I did that it went straight through!

I should also add that I had run software that deletes all the history, temp files and loads of other stuff that builds up over time. That often clears such problems but did not in this case.

There are so many things that are interlinked in the browsers and systems involved that it can be near impossible to account for sudden funny happenings like this. It is not always anything to do with the accounts and settings themselves. I have had a similar experience with another browser when something would not work but using a different browser and everything is fine. I have at least four different browsers installed on my PC and switch if I have problems.

Edited by highpeakman
added extra text.

On 12/02/2020 at 14:40, cravensdmufan said:

Running out of suggestions on this!  Please let us know of the eventual outcome, which I hope will be a positive one.

As I have said here previously, I phoned ebay and they could find nothing wrong at their end but they suggested it may be something wrong at my bank's end. I went to the bank and they couldn't find anything wrong but I was informed about this thing where they send a text as a security measure and so I gave them my phone number. That still didn't help me to pay on ebay using my card.

I went back to the bank, last week and told them that I still couldn't pay so I was issued with a new card, which arrived on Friday. It has a new long number, expiry date and security code. I used this new card to order online from Hattons and Eileen's Emporium with no problem at all and the items arrived on Saturday (I didn't receive a text from my bank though!).

I have just gone on ebay and have attempted to buy something on there but the original problem still persists, so it must me something wrong at ebay's end, despite them saying there is nothing wrong.

I will phone them again, tomorrow, and if they continue to tell me that there's nothing wrong at their end I will erase my ebay account. There's no point in having it if I can't use it!

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, highpeakman said:

I have had a similar experience with another browser when something would not work but using a different browser and everything is fine. I have at least four different browsers installed on my PC and switch if I have problems.

Yes now you've reminded me, the banking software at my last work which we used for all transactions only worked in one browser.

I'm using the word "worked" somewhat loosely!

3 hours ago, highpeakman said:

I solved it by switching Browser from Chrome to Edge. After I did that it went straight through!

Are you running the same (if any) ad blocking, pop-up blocking, privacy filters, etc., in all browsers?

I recently had a problem with payment (not Ebay) that was caused by Privacy Badger blocking a 3rd party tracking cookie that was actually related to the payment processor and was required to complete the payment.

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Crosland said:

Are you running the same (if any) ad blocking, pop-up blocking, privacy filters, etc., in all browsers?

I recently had a problem with payment (not Ebay) that was caused by Privacy Badger blocking a 3rd party tracking cookie that was actually related to the payment processor and was required to complete the payment.

A good point and accepted. But this is part of the problem as well. I have purchased from eBay not long ago without any problem and nothing, as far as I am aware, has changed in my settings, etc but...., of course, software (browsers and extensions) are updated continuously and, usually, automatically so it is sometimes difficult to know what exactly may have changed.

Just had a problem this morning on my phone with an app that should update with news every morning but was jammed on Saturdays edition. I restarted the app and then my phone, cleared caches, etc, etc. and nothing worked. It was also the latest version of the app. No problem with connections either. So I removed the app and then reinstalled it and all now works perfectly. Who knows what the problem was? My point is that all of these software apps are now quite complex and sometimes a minor glitch/corruption can prevent communication in the way that it should. When you combine OS, browser, extensions, bank and website together to talk then it is no surprise that things don't happen correctly sometimes so it can be a good idea to change the components/equation and then things may correct themselves.

Until recently I used Firefox as my main browser but then it started to screw up the presentation of certain web pages. Even after a lot of tweaking of extensions and cookies I couldn't get it to work correctly. I changed to Chrome and all was good until the latest problem with PayPal. I tried Edge and now no problem with either site. Don't know the answer yet.

Ebay continue to say that there's nothing wrong at their end. I have tried again to open a paypal account and I think that I have. At least it didn't reject my phone number this time but I've hasd no emails from them, which I would have expected. I've tried to pay for something using paypal but now I get the message that it isn't available - whatever that means!

I do have a paypal account. The reason it doesn't work is that they have "noticed some suspicious activity". How they can notice any activity on something that I have yet to use is beyond me. They now want me to send them some photo I.D! How that's going to help them when they've no idea what I look like I do not know. This whole thing just isn't worth the aggro.

• Friendly/supportive 4

47 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Ebay continue to say that there's nothing wrong at their end. I have tried again to open a paypal account and I think that I have. At least it didn't reject my phone number this time but I've hasd no emails from them, which I would have expected. I've tried to pay for something using paypal but now I get the message that it isn't available - whatever that means!

Have you tried clearing the cookies in your browser?

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Ruston said:

They now want me to send them some photo I.D

This is standard practice for any application to banking services (which is what Paypal is governed by) once you submit the relevant ID and most likely a bill with address on it's fairly straightforward to use.

I had to take my passport in to the accountants a few weeks ago, I've been with them for 32 years but they still have to abide by the law.....although I was tempted to take No1 sons passport in to see if they noticed. :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/02/2020 at 12:34, andyman7 said:

I've noticed that sometimes there is a lag between winning an auction and being able to pay. Just another curious coding glitch I guess.

I buy far too much on ebay. For the first time ever last week this happened to me.

I put in my bid quite late and saw the auction close with a price well below my maximum bid. Several minutes later I still hadn't had the 'you are the highest bidder', 'you won' or 'pay now' notifiactions. Nor did the 'auction ended' message show the item as sold. I assumed I'd somehow not met a reserve price.

So, I went and made a cup of tea and when I got back I had the 'pay now' messager. The transaction whe through as normal after that.

This topic just came up in content I follow and although I haven't been on ebay since I last posted, I thought I'd see if anything had changed. I've just tried a buy it now. The only thing I have done differently was to accidentally type two figures wrong in my card number. I got the message "we don't support this card" on screen and so typed the two in correctly and it worked.

It's still a complete mystery as to why it wouldn't work before but as long as it works, who cares?  :dance_mini:

• RMweb Premium
On 10/02/2020 at 07:34, andyman7 said:

I've noticed that sometimes there is a lag between winning an auction and being able to pay. Just another curious coding glitch I guess.

One time I was watching an auction that I had set a snipe on; when the auction ended and the "You won" flashed up, I immediately hit the "pay now" button, paid with PayPal, and got the "paid" screen. I then went to my email and the "thank you for your payment" email was time-stamped before the "you won" and "please pay" emails were sent. This was on ebay.usa.

12 hours ago, GeoffAlan said:

I buy far too much on ebay. For the first time ever last week this happened to me.

I put in my bid quite late and saw the auction close with a price well below my maximum bid. Several minutes later I still hadn't had the 'you are the highest bidder', 'you won' or 'pay now' notifiactions. Nor did the 'auction ended' message show the item as sold. I assumed I'd somehow not met a reserve price.

So, I went and made a cup of tea and when I got back I had the 'pay now' messager. The transaction whe through as normal after that.

I think I have noticed something similar, put it down to having both computer and phone on the item at the same time. Also have noticed loosing an item after the screen time clock ended.

My phone app runs about 2 secs in front of the computer.