RMweb

Pull Push Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2Tank.

Hello, I came across a Mike Roach photo of 41224 working a passenger train at Cole on the S & D in 1965. Now, 41224 was originally fitted with PP gear, the picture shows no such equipment, except a hole in the front buffer beam. I realise that by 1965 all PP trains had ceased, so any idea when the PP equipment may have been removed. I can only surmise that it may well have happened at the locos last works visit. I have 2 of these locos on my layout working PP trains, but if I "move" the date I operate at from early 50's to early 60's should I do the same??

Must credit Mike Roach with the picture. 

41224. Cole April 1965. .jpg

• RMweb Gold

LMS equipment was different to that used by the SR and GWR. IIRC it was removed when the locos were transferred away from the LMR, although Rail online has a picture of one at Torrington with LMS equipment still in place.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

From other photos it looks as if most of those remaining on the LMR kept the equipment. One was photographed on the Edgeley scrap line c1967 with it still intact, so no problem running them in the 1960s  on an LMR layout.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, snowy1051 said:

many thanks to Yardman for the pictures. Any dates and locations please? I se that 41285 still has the early BR crest.

Thanks, Gordon. 

Both photos  taken on 24/04/1965 at Carlisle Citadel. Both tanks on ecs working and pilot duty.

14 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Does anybody do the P/P equipment for this model?

If I remember correctly, the LMS vacuum controlled "motor system" was reasonably standardised, and there were drawings in a mid-1960s edition of Railway Modeller which helped with my "motor fitted"  7mm 3F tank (Jinty).

I may have a scan of the drawing somewhere.

Brian R

• Thanks 1