The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Premium

Apparently some of the more irresponsible parts of the media are screaming that the shortages are going to go on for months. They caused the panic in the first place, its about time that they were reined in.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, boxbrownie said:

Maybe, just maybe they communicated with major haulage companies who would have had records and proceed from there?  They just have records from somewhere to be able to send the letters out.

They know who has what licence. They can't just ask companies to dish out lists of everyone who's ever worked there because that would be a clear breach of GDPR

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

Apparently some of the more irresponsible parts of the media are screaming that the shortages are going to go on for months. They caused the panic in the first place, its about time that they were reined in.

Whilst I view the press's behaviour as irresponsible, scaremongering, and indifferent to any consequences overall I regard that as less of a problem with muzzling them if they start saying things we don't want them to, offering opinions we don't want them to. That would be a much bigger issue than hassle getting fuel.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Whilst I view the press's behaviour as irresponsible, scaremongering, and indifferent to any consequences overall I regard that as less of a problem with muzzling them if they start saying things we don't want them to, offering opinions we don't want them to. That would be a much bigger issue than hassle getting fuel.

I quite agree, a free press is a cornerstone of democracy but they should be made accountable for what they publish. An independent regulator would be a good start.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

More morons!

A tanker driver has told how he was tailed by about 20 drivers who were dismayed to discover he was not transporting petrol.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-58767230

"Johnny Anderson, who drives for Weaver Haulage, was transporting 44 tonnes of mortar from Bilston, Wolverhampton, to a building site in Northamptonshire."

Shoddy  reporting from the BBC.  He would have been quite overloaded if he was!

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

2 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

I’m sure I’d posted that there were plenty of other garages. some had caps and 1 was hgv only, but the A1 has a succession of garages where it’s a dual carriageway. 
I went from Bedfordshire to Morpeth and there were plenty of garages with fuel. 
As an aside, when I arrived in the village I asked the local garage what their fuel situation was and they said they’d not had a problem, but were they to see someone unknown go beyond £30 on the pumps they would switch it off.  

Dave

What idiots would wait on what you describes as a very busy and dangerous section of a dual carriageway, one thing if its a section where speeds are lower in an urban/commercial section. The lack of common sense and roadcraft shown by many road users must be at an all time low. Even the standards of so called professional drivers have fallen.

On Thursday whilst on the M1 I was flashed by a Royal Mail HGV driver whilst traveling at 50 mph in a section where the lights were on restricting the speed to 50 mph,  two car lengths behind the car in front.  What space would he gain ?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

There are rumours of a £30 cap, totally useless for me as when commuting £50 a week and I ALWAYS BRIM THE TANK.

Looks like £30 in join, end of queue another £20 in.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, MJI said:

There are rumours of a £30 cap, totally useless for me as when commuting £50 a week and I ALWAYS BRIM THE TANK.

Looks like £30 in join, end of queue another £20 in.

Better would be £30 minimum spend - except for motor cycles...

• Agree 8

15 minutes ago, MarkC said:

Better would be £30 minimum spend - except for motor cycles...

and people with empty tanks walking to to petrol station with a can.

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, hayfield said:

I think rather than the police that needs reform, its the BBC that needs a root and branch clear out

I think you should look more deeply at the Met's previous failings, then you wouldn't call it "one bad apple"

If I was doing Priti Patel's job I would be looking at a complete overhaul of the Met, rather in the same way the the RUC was replaced by the PSNI

IMHO In that culling should be Commander Cressida Dick who has overseen loads of failures and botch ups from when she was lower in the ranks.

Remember the Brazilian Electrician Jean Charles de Menezes and the Met's behaviour?

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

I believe this can be said of most CEO's of most companies, not to say public servants who seem to be Teflon coated. She will go, incompetent public servants sadly stay on until paid off.

Back to the topic, the real villains of this situation are the companies who for far too long have let this situation build up, and the press/media for whipping up the panic, where none existed

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

10 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

Stephen Lawrence.  Extremely dodgy goings-on during the investigation, and absolutely shameful treatment of the family.

Why not drag up Jack the Ripper.

99.9% of police men and women are extremely caring and generous people dealing sometimes with the dregs of society. Every area of society has the odd rotten apple including nurses and doctors.

These are the people who run into danger when the rest of us run away. Just thank God you have British police and not some of the 2nd or third world police, or even some first world. 

These normal people face abuse every day doing their job to protect both you and me. I expect most of us would react far more than they do to the daily abuse they encounter.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

10 hours ago, rockershovel said:

No, it took 5 closed BP garages plus the involvement of the national media to start this, plus an underlying problem (or several) which was (were) already well advanced. It's clear that some sort of fuel crisis was inevitable, in the fairly near future. 

It's like the current ballyhoo in the media about visa schemes for drivers. It was always obvious that some sort of crisis was inevitable, because the costs of training and ongoing certification, allied to ongoing wage erosion, casualisation of employment, erosion of working conditions and uncontrolled expansion of traffic volumes were all pointing that way, and a lot of informed commentators were pointing it out, long ago. 

The question will be, what the government intend to do about it, longer term. I strongly suspect that within the next 5-10 years the haulage sector will largely switch over to "platooning" of lorries between distribution hubs, with slightly longer transit times (because of the extra shunting) as a corollary. Employment in the sector will be substantially reduced. It will take time, because present distribution chains are stretched so taut that they cannot accept this, nor do the necessary tractors exist in sufficient numbers, but it will come. 

It's clear that some sort of fuel crisis was inevitable, in the fairly near future. 

The only reason we may have a fuel crisis for a short time is because of panic buyers reacting to a non-existent problem as drummed up by the media.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 30801 said:

They know who has what licence. They can't just ask companies to dish out lists of everyone who's ever worked there because that would be a clear breach of GDPR

OK then maybe they just use the PAYE records……however they are doing it they seem to be doing it, not a mass mail shot but targeted.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Edge said:

Apologies if posted before, but I had a good laugh 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-58767230

Well clearly NOT a fuel carrier and if they followed that then it explains the number of people who have been irresponsibly buying extra fuel in totally inappropriate containers, might be better if they did all burst into flames on the way home.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Just back from the Flu Jab at Robin Park Wigan, local station up the road just a couple of cars filling, no queues. Same at Tesco this morning, slightly busier, no queues. Not cheap though - £1.41 & £1.34 respectively.

Brit15

• Like 1

I run on lpg, with petrol to start (or if I run out of lpg). My normal petrol consumption sees me go a long time without a refill, I usually top up no more than 3/4, no rmally when 1/4 full or less. Having recently had a minor problem within the (saddle type) petrol tank where fuel wasn't being distributed to both sides of the sadldle, I have however been wary of going below 1/2 full, just in case....

Last Sat I drove the 15 miles to St.Ives, where my local Morrisons sells lpg, to find them closed. I normally fill the tank there on a Sat, somewhere between 1/2 empty or nearly empty. This time it was almost empty! The petrol was just over 1/4 full, so definitely time for some fuel....I then went to Huntingdon (5miles) to shop at the big Tesco. On the way I found the next garage (Shell) had queues on the forecourt, with little diesel available but most petrol working. The lh pump had no cars, I think everyone wanted to fill on the other side of their cars (Why can't they stretch the hose over....), so I nipped over there and put petrol in. Later, on the way back to St.Ives , I found Morrisons open so went in. Lady at the entrance directing everyone to the correct pump with fuel - 3-4 cars at each, apart from the lh bay, only 1 there. I zipped past her straight to that bay, knowing the lpg pump was on there. She came over to reprimand me though!. So I filled up with lpg. So there I was, filled up, both fuels.

Worrying thing was that over the next couple of days (running on lpg) the petrol gauge seemed to be going down rapidly. I had already decided that on the next Fri, I would travel to Peterborough (15-20 miles) to get lpg from the gas supplier as I was sure that there would be no problem there (there wasn't). But the petrol gauge was down to a 1/4 tank when I got back home!.

That afternoon due to rain I got roped in for the school run - the gauge showed empty! So after the run I examined the tank, found the tank well full so it is a gauge problem. Sat morning (today) was another trip to St.Ives & Huntingdon again - not sure of the problem yet so I managed to get £25 petrol at that Shell garage (again) to make sure. Investigation in the manuals etc + a quick look confirms definite fault with the float senders (easy fix but tricky to do) which will wait until the rain stops.

No panic buying on my part, just necessity, but noticeable that I only saw 3 garages with any fuel (the Shell - no diesel), and a local village station which was open normally (had none earlier in the week) with no queues, and 1 of the 2 garages in Chatteris was open, some queues, limited fuel (BP). All had increased prices. Even Morrisons had increased the lpg by 7-8p/L for the 1st time since they opened 2-3 years ago. Meanwhile the gas supplier in Peterborough is still around 53p.

Stewart

7 hours ago, 30801 said:

They don't hold any information like that.

Oh yes they do - via Tachograph Downloads they know who has been driving what & on what days.

Quich search on the database to highlight HGV drivers that have not been active recently & an automated mailshot.

• Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, SamThomas said:

Oh yes they do - via Tachograph Downloads they know who has been driving what & on what days.

Quich search on the database to highlight HGV drivers that have not been active recently & an automated mailshot.

What database? Where is it? If there's a government database of tachograph data why do you need to retain your data to show enforcement officers?