The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, burgundy said:

Do sales of the Daily Mail increase when stocks of toilet paper are exhausted?

Best wishes 

Eric

The pages are already covered in sh*t before you get it.:)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

On 29/09/2020 at 12:11, cctransuk said:

Supermarkets don't have that area of spare storage space - in fact, most have little or no storage space.

Try asking if they have a particular item - the answer is usually that, if it isn't on the shelf, they haven't got it!

John Isherwood.

John is quite correct, most goods are supplied "just in time", in theory a new supply arrives just as the last item is removed from the shelf.  Most supermarkets, certainly those that offer home deliveries or 'click & collect' get those orders from the same shelves as the ordinary punters, I shop early and there are dozens of staff fulfilling those orders for morning deliveries.  It's one reason you can order X and it not be supplied.

A trip up any motorway (or around the M25) will reveal numerous very large warehouses where the good are held prior to being delivered to the supermarkets.

Of course, those who want that nice French cheese or Italian ham will find it stuck outside Calais come January..

jch

Edited by John Harris
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, APOLLO said:

I blame the cat !!

8db7d417df2b0e00793538c4c9b191ee_w200.gi

Brit15

Serves 'em right for not squashing the toilet roll to prevent it running freely!

1 hour ago, alastairq said:

There's a very annoying Koala out there too......

Don't forget the Labrador pups too.

37 minutes ago, John Harris said:

A trip up any motorway (or around the M25) will reveal numerous very large warehouses where the good are held prior to being delivered to the supermarkets.

Some supermarket chains maintain "dark" stores for home delivery fulfilment, I suppose click'n'collect can only be performed at the selected store!

38 minutes ago, John Harris said:

Of course, those who want that nice French cheese or Italian ham will find it stuck outside Calais come January..

Best place for it...

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Its not always noticed that its covered in carp....

Very good.  The best typo ever in the Grauniad though still has to be the famous report they ran years ago about a meeting held by the British Dyslexia Association in which they referred to "the word-vlind" ...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, spikey said:

Very good.  The best typo ever in the Grauniad though still has to be the famous report they ran years ago about a meeting held by the British Dyslexia Association in which they referred to "the word-vlind" ...

Surely the best was when their own name was spelt as"Gaurdian"?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've found something else that it seems has been subject to panic buying.

"Shiplap timber cladding"

My shed needs some maintenance so I popped to the local sawmill* for some but they didn't have any and said new supplies currently are rather hit and miss.

*proper sawmill not a DIY shed, where you can (usually) get any timber you want, cut to any size you want.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

I've found something else that it seems has been subject to panic buying.

"Shiplap timber cladding"

My shed needs some maintenance so I popped to the local sawmill* for some but they didn't have any and said new supplies currently are rather hit and miss.

*proper sawmill not a DIY shed, where you can (usually) get any timber you want, cut to any size you want.

I waited 10 weeks for a sawmill to produce a length of steamed cherry 18mm x 30mm x2M.......they had the raw in stock but apparently social distances in the workplace is causing very long delays.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I waited 10 weeks for a sawmill to produce a length of steamed cherry 18mm x 30mm x2M.......they had the raw in stock but apparently social distances in the workplace is causing very long delays.

Didn't seem to be a problem with the one I use, there is plenty of room around all the machines in the machine shop  and the stock sheds are also well spaced,the only place there was any "close" contact was in the office where you pay.

• Informative/Useful 1

I think it was a mini panic this time, I have noted in my numerous trips out this week that freezer aisles were well stocked and today in Iceland there were relatively healthy stocks of toilet roll.

As my wife is heading into schools next week in a lockdown area I have been out today to restock tinned and frozen goods just in case.  She will be PPE'd up but none of the children (inc teens) are apparently showing any signs of distancing or smaller class sizes, masks only worn outside of the classroom.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

I think it was a mini panic this time, I have noted in my numerous trips out this week that freezer aisles were well stocked and today in Iceland there were relatively healthy stocks of toilet roll.

As my wife is heading into schools next week in a lockdown area I have been out today to restock tinned and frozen goods just in case.  She will be PPE'd up but none of the children (inc teens) are apparently showing any signs of distancing or smaller class sizes, masks only worn outside of the classroom.

I’d noticed something similar with local schools, which didn’t actually surprise me very much. Social distancing appears to be progressively falling into disrepute and disregard by its sheer unworkability. Give it a few weeks of cold wet weather, and the effective cessation of the “furlough” scheme, and demands for deferred VAT etc dropping into in-trays ...

Bizarrely, David Lloyd clubs yesterday reopened their steam rooms and saunas - apparently after another Government announcement the night before.  However, it seems very odd you can sit almost naked with a complete stranger in a hot room with no ventilation but you cannot visit your own parents nor have them round for tea.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 02/10/2020 at 11:59, melmerby said:

Didn't seem to be a problem with the one I use, there is plenty of room around all the machines in the machine shop  and the stock sheds are also well spaced,the only place there was any "close" contact was in the office where you pay.

I’m quite certain that a wide range of businesses have actually used the situation to stop worrying about customer service, for example our local B&Q won’t be reopening its “cut to size” counter as both trained operators have not yet returned to work. 

3 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Bizarrely, David Lloyd clubs yesterday reopened their steam rooms and saunas - apparently after another Government announcement the night before.  However, it seems very odd you can sit almost naked with a complete stranger in a hot room with no ventilation but you cannot visit your own parents nor have them round for tea.

Do you need a mask? Wearing a mask in a steam room sounds perfectly foul! 

5 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

I’m quite certain that a wide range of businesses have actually used the situation to stop worrying about customer service, for example our local B&Q won’t be reopening its “cut to size” counter as both trained operators have not yet returned to work. 

Our local one has reopened the cut to size area but oddly the buyers seemed to be on the wrong side of the counter and handling the wood off the cutter - H&S nightmare - the trained person cannot touch the wood due to covid but the untrained person can get very close to the cutting stuff - may as well do it yourself.

Edited by woodenhead

1 minute ago, rockershovel said:

Do you need a mask? Wearing a mask in a steam room sounds perfectly foul! 

No mask - but only three people allowed in and my wife (she's the member not me) loudly objected when a fourth person entered because he lived with one of the other people in there already.  I think we can assume that the rules won't be followed and it will be a free for all quite quickly.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Butler Henderson said:

A very strange shortage again in Waitrose, frozen french fries completely sold out two weeks running same as in the original panic.

Weirdly, smaller bags of frozen French Fries were one of the few items missing from our shop this morning - just an empty space in the freezer section (larger packs were still available).
I can only surmise it’s for making substitute McDonald’s-type meals at home for the kids?

• Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Our local one has reopened the cut to size area but oddly the buyers seemed to be on the wrong side of the counter and handling the wood off the cutter - H&S nightmare - the trained person cannot touch the wood due to covid but the untrained person can get very close to the cutting stuff - may as well do it yourself.

I’d be interested to meet the individual who wrote THAT Risk Assessment! 

• Agree 1