The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

14 hours ago, Platform 1 said:

Sadly, panic-buying seems to have started again here in North Somerset - and we're not under any special restrictions.  Late this afternoon, local Tesco shelves were empty of large packs of bog-rolls, only a few packs of 9, 8, and 4-packs left .  But earlier in the week, there was an offer on 24-packs!

Goodness me. And I thought a pack of 9 toilet rolls *was* a large pack. I must have lived a very sheltered life. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, MJI said:

Loo paper

There is no shortage of it so why panic buy?

But then it is one of those things you should keep in stock, no shelf life worries so say a 24 pack in use and a 24 pack in reserve would be fine (what we do). I remember on panic one we we were fine without buying toilet paper for over a month.

We buy a pack when in use pack is getting low so never go below 30 rolls.

if everyone did this there would have been no panic buying.

ISTR that we have Australia to blame for the bulk purchasing of toilet rolls! It was said that most of theirs are produced in China so when the lockdown struck, the Aussies (almost literally) s**t themselves and panic bought. As a result, the urge to panic buy toilet roll went, for want of a better phrase, viral. Seconds out, round two!

Apologies if this view has been previously expressed; 120 pages of 25 posts (= 3000 posts) is too much to trawl through!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm sorry but you lot have got no idea:  I have posted this before somewhere but for those who missed it I repeat:

Only 1 piece required:

Take 1 sheet of toilet tissue and fold into 4

Tear off 1 small piece from a corner (Retaining the torn piece)

Open out paper and you should have a hole in the middle.

Insert middle finger into hole.

Use finger to clean posterior.

Take hold of the paper around your finger and gripping firmly pull it off to clean finger.

Take retained piece of paper and use sharp corner piece to clean fingernail.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Coming soon -

https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/20/14986640/china-toilet-paper-theft-facial-recognition-machine

I remember the old terrace house outside privvys, freezing cold with  torn up copies of the Sun & Daily mirror hung on a nail - freezing cold, no lights, spiders everywhere etc !!!! (we were lucky, we had an inside one also !!)

Brit15

• Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Well this is literally becoming a sh*t thread.

Indeed; can we at least move onto antibacterial matters to clean the topic up?

• Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Indeed; can we at least move onto antibacterial matters to clean the topic up?

There's a shortage of anti-bacterial handwash as well. (Rumour has it - I saw it in a newsrag)

Maybe that's the cause?:jester:

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, APOLLO said:

Coming soon -

https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/20/14986640/china-toilet-paper-theft-facial-recognition-machine

I remember the old terrace house outside privvys, freezing cold with  torn up copies of the Sun & Daily mirror hung on a nail - freezing cold, no lights, spiders everywhere etc !!!! (we were lucky, we had an inside one also !!)

Brit15

That's sounds a bit modern to me - more like Reynolds News and the News Of The World.   I have to say that in my younger days the experience of using newspaper for that purpose at one grandparents' abode made me thankful to get home to Izal:blink:

• Like 1

I've never understood the fixation with toilet paper. But then to me a six pack is a very large pack. I've got about 4 and abit rolls at present, enough for the forseeable future. On my visit to Lidl this morning early the toilet paper shelves were bare. The only other shortage noticed was canned peaches. I admit to buying the last 2 cans on my previous visit !!

54 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

That's sounds a bit modern to me - more like Reynolds News and the News Of The World.   I have to say that in my younger days the experience of using newspaper for that purpose at one grandparents' abode made me thankful to get home to Izal:blink:

Probably a bit off with my dating - 50's and 60's. Not sure what newspapers were "in circulation" in those days.

Quite useful was newspaper back then - some went to the khazi, others to the local Chippy to wrap your tea in, I hope it wasn't used for both !!

Grandads house in Ince was alongside the New Springs branch, the Khazi was right next to the line., just behind the signal below. I used to climb on the Khazi roof to watch the Dub Dees clank wearily past (or swing on the level crossing gate).

lbfr3j3m.jpg

Panic buying bog rolls - I wonder what my grandparents would have thought, most folks back then hadn't two ha'pennys to rub together !!

Brit15

• Like 5

21 hours ago, newbryford said:

I can't understand the fixation with loo paper.

You only need three pieces per visit.

One up.

One down.

And one to polish

When we were long ago of apprised of this by an RAF Regiment sergeant, he went on to point that if it looked like ones personal supply wouldn't last, both sides could be used to eke it out.  Whereupon some clown inevitably asked "Eke what out, Sergeant?" ...

5 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Wasn't the Sun what the Daily Herald turned into, some time in the mid-1960s?  Whatever, I remember tearing pages of the Mirror and the Sunday Pictorial into quarters and threading them onto the string with what I guess was a sail needle.  In due course though the family moved upmarket to Izal, around the time the outside bog was moved inside, as it were.  My Uncle George still had his foul-smelling ex-RAF Elsan complete with WD marking in the asbestos-cement sheet privyv at the bottom of his garden in 1968, and IIRC still thought it a great improvement on the earth closet which it replaced.  The Izal hanging in that always had "Government Property" (maybe "WD Property"?) stamped on every sheet in blue ...   

Edited by spikey
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, newbryford said:

I can't understand the fixation with loo paper.

You only need three pieces per visit.

One up.

One down.

And one to polish

5 hours ago, Caley739 said:

I've never understood the fixation with toilet paper. But then to me a six pack is a very large pack. I've got about 4 and abit rolls at present, enough for the forseeable future. On my visit to Lidl this morning early the toilet paper shelves were bare. The only other shortage noticed was canned peaches. I admit to buying the last 2 cans on my previous visit !!

On 27/09/2020 at 16:01, BokStein said:

ISTR that we have Australia to blame for the bulk purchasing of toilet rolls! It was said that most of theirs are produced in China so when the lockdown struck, the Aussies (almost literally) s**t themselves and panic bought. As a result, the urge to panic buy toilet roll went, for want of a better phrase, viral. Seconds out, round two!

8 hours ago, melmerby said:

There's a shortage of anti-bacterial handwash as well. (Rumour has it - I saw it in a newsrag)

Maybe that's the cause?

All stockiists and everyone else must have put in huge orders for this as it became unavailable when we had the shortages because now it is everywhere. Everyone has display boxes of hand sanitiser at  their checkouts - newsagents, servos, hardware shops, florists, everywhere you go.

Now we are back down to a few new cases a day (and they are all n Victoria)  I'm not sure how much will get bought.

• Informative/Useful 2