The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

1 hour ago, Mattc6911 said:

You know all these numpties hoarding tins makes me want to become a burglar. . . Break in, remove all the labels, mix em all up and then nick the tin opener if they have one. Oh and a liberal sprinkle of chilli powder over the loo roll mountain :wink_mini:

Scenes from open all hours and the unlabelled tins playing out all over the country :P

Back in the 1960s, Lynne's dad used to run one of the very first self-service shops in the Potteries. Saturday evening tea was a form of culinary lottery, as it involved whatever label-less tins were left at the end of a week's trading...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just been to oldies hour in Sainsbugs. Car park only moderately full.

Max three of anything but two of toilet rolls*

Quite good, the only thing completely void was paper goods (Toilet rolls*, tissues, wipes etc.)

Some shelves were low, such as tins (very low) soaps a bit depleted as were pasta, cereals and rice but plenty of fresh food such as fruit and vegetables and a resasonable amount of meat and fish

Not much tea available and alcohol had taken a hit.

Popped over the road to the Aldi and got some cereals and Parmagiano but tea bags very depleted.

Overall not too bad.

2 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

... there always was a string draped across the back office with old tea bags clipped on with pegs. Dear old Eric, he was quite parsimonious!

It must be the name.  I knew an Eric who did exactly the same thing.  It was always alleged that he turned the gas off while he turned his bacon over in the frying pan ...

Edited by spikey
the inevitable typo
  • Funny 7

26 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

... Saturday evening tea was a form of culinary lottery, as it involved whatever label-less tins were left at the end of a week's trading...

Giood grief!  Shops in Sin Tellins were still selling the "lucky dip" tins when I moved darn sarf in 1979.

25 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Back in the 1960s, Lynne's dad used to run one of the very first self-service shops in the Potteries. Saturday evening tea was a form of culinary lottery, as it involved whatever label-less tins were left at the end of a week's trading...

I remember a similar proceeding in my student days. One of my housemates came from Spalding, and had a holiday job in one of the processing plants which dot the fenland landscape. He would return with boxes of unlabelled cans which were sold cheap to the workers... the trick was, to use “insider information” to best-guess the likely contents, based on internal codes stamped on the ends of the tins..

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, spikey said:

How do they "police" that?  Who decides whether or not a punter qualifies as a wrinkly?

Seems to be based on honesty and it seemed it was working OK.

Still a few NHS workers as well so there were young and old together.

In Aldi they said yesterday was pandemonium but OK today with no age restrictions and max 4 of anything

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My nearest Lidl this morning well stocked of fruit but meats patchy, did have the Pork Lion Medallions that I wanted, plenty of milk and eggs, no toilet rolls nor kitchen rolls. Some store cupboard items wiped out. Did not look at freezers and completely forgot to look for a single malt:( Also had the dark chocolate gluten free rice cakes that normally vanish as soon as they hit the shelves, quickly followed by the vanilla ones (of which I had previously grabbed a number of) such that normally their is only the milk chocolate ones which few it seems like.

Morrisons - actually had a gluten free toastie loaf. Did not look around the store that much but fruit seemed plentiful on the way in although Railway Modeller was down to the last three:o

Sainsburys - Again fruit seemed plentiful and they did actually have some unsmoked mackerel fillets which are like rocking horse droppings at the best of times but non of the flour I wanted (looks like an expensive mail order for that), toilet rolls and eggs sold out, freezers largely still devastated but did pick up 2 tubs of ice cream on special offer. Typically having found the toastie loaf Sainsburys also had it but dearer:)

Co-Op - got the last 2 pints of milk (full fat as semi skimmed sold out). Had not bothered to pick up one elsewhere as the Co-Op this morning gave me on their mobile app 25p off milk which brings their 90p for 2pints down to an absolute bargain 65p - just why they do not sell at 80p like nearly everyone else baffles me when they provide me (and presumably many others) seemingly every 3 weeks the same offer:huh: Suppose that could have explained this mornings run on it.

Whilst most people seemed to keep a distance a plain problem is someone coming the other way down an aisle, maybe stores need to mark an Ikea like one way system.

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Just came back from Llandysul.  Local Boots was closed with a queue of senior people outside.  A man was coming to the door with packets, so presumably the 'shop' is closed but they're still dispensing.  Lloyds chemist also closed with a note on the door saying closed 23Mar due to staff shortages.

'Big little supermarket' (Nisa but everyone calls it CK's) not particularly busy, people keeping their distance from each other.  Most things in supply (eggs are back after having been plentiful then absent now modest levels).  No toilet rolls, just some large rolls of kitchen towel with yellow labels on the saying 'NOT FLUSHABLE'.

Otherwise most people seemed to be just topping up with fresh stuff.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Morrisons Leamington an hour ago - all fresh produce fully stocked. Meat stocked. Gaps in some frozen goods. Bread all in. Generally looking normal. Didn't check toilet roll.

BUT - No Yorkshire tea!!!!

People keeping distance from each other.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Morrisons Leamington an hour ago - all fresh produce fully stocked. Meat stocked. Gaps in some frozen goods. Bread all in. Generally looking normal. Didn't check toilet roll.

Civilisation has fallen, it's the end of the world! EVERYBODY PANIC!

Hang on we have some in stock. 

Move along people, nothing to see here.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Funny thing is that I've never been able to find out when they actually  started growing tea in Yorkshire. Did they have a two foot gauge railway to carry it like in Darjeeling :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

Funny thing is that I've never been able to find out when they actually  started growing tea in Yorkshire. Did they have a two foot gauge railway to carry it like in Darjeeling :rolleyes:

You should be more concerned then about people feeding dogs dog meat...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Pacific231G said:

Given the current difficulties, which are bound to affect the harvest, never mind the loss of foreign (overseas and non-Yorkshire) seasonal workers, what is the future for the Yorkshire Tea industry?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, petethemole said:

Given the current difficulties, which are bound to affect the harvest, never mind the loss of foreign (overseas and non-Yorkshire) seasonal workers, what is the future for the Yorkshire Tea industry?

Or the Sabden Treacle Mines?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I don't know about Yorkshire but there was a 2ft line linking the famous jam butty mines near Notty Ash to the CLC main line in Liverpool. I hope they are running at full capacity.

Marc

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

On Saturday afternoon,after the gold rush,the situation in Morrisons over here In Swadlincote was much the same.