Spare close coupling cams for coaches

Solo

• RMweb Premium

Dose anyone know if it is possible to buy replacement close coupling cams/drawbars for Bachmann MK2 coaches?  Not the couplings themselves but the part with the NEM pocket and the loop that swivels in the chassis of the carriage.  

Reason being I'm re-doing all my coaches with the new Hunt close couplings and on some of the coaches I've (irreversibly!) altered/butchered that part of the assembly for the couplings I was previously using....I've searched on all the spares sections of websites, lots of replacement couplings and bogies but no joy with these.

Thanks

57 minutes ago, RP82 said:

I have some MK1s also without the cams so I will be going down the Keen Systems route. But I need the return springs doe's anyone know of where i can get some?

Try Hornby X9097, listed for Pullmans but work on others including Dapol/Hornby mag Stove 'R' - only a couple of quid for 10 so not a bank-buster if they don't, got mine from Peter's Spares but other suppliers have them in stock too.

Chris.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Phatbob said:

Here you go Solo;

http://www.keen-systems.com/Couplings.html

About half way down the page.  These have the advantage of having the NEM box in the correct position, rather than the original Bachmann ones that don't.  I use these myself and can recommend them.  (No connection other than as a satisfied customer)
HTH.

You know I'd forgotten all about them, even think I may have a couple sitting in the toolbox that I bought on a whim some years back - thanks Phatbob!

• Like 1

Pretty sure I've seen them at places that sell spares.  Although Peter Spares are out of stock.  You could also phone Bachmann Spares dept themselves.

https://www.petersspares.com/Bachmann-36-060-branchline-coach-pipe-coupling-pk4-oo-gauge.ir

May be worth considering the new Hunt Couplings.

Edited by Waverley47708

On 03/04/2020 at 17:32, Solo said:

Dose anyone know if it is possible to buy replacement close coupling cams/drawbars for Bachmann MK2 coaches?  Not the couplings themselves but the part with the NEM pocket and the loop that swivels in the chassis of the carriage.  

Reason being I'm re-doing all my coaches with the new Hunt close couplings and on some of the coaches I've (irreversibly!) altered/butchered that part of the assembly for the couplings I was previously using....I've searched on all the spares sections of websites, lots of replacement couplings and bogies but no joy with these.

Thanks

Interesting. Curious why you went for magnetic couplings rather than something like Kadees which can uncouple?

PS: Had similar issues removing TLCs from NEM pockets on MM Mk2d coaches without damaging the coaches till somebody showed me a trick that made the TLCs pop out easily.

• RMweb Premium
On 09/04/2020 at 09:25, NoelG said:

Interesting. Curious why you went for magnetic couplings rather than something like Kadees which can uncouple?

Well my (work-in-progress) layout doesn't require 'on stage' uncoupling as it is a very simple through line - I have experimented with Kadees previously but disliked them with a vengeance due to the amount of 'slop' and subsequent lurching motion of the train even when moving smoothly.  They also just look a bit wrong to me on UK stock.  So I modified some coaches with the Hornby-style Roco coupler which gives excellent close coupling but did require a little plasticard shim to be glued in thus altering the pocket forever....fast forward and the Hunt couplings are not only really unobtrusive but incredibly easy to pull apart when you're shuffling rakes off-scene etc.  The gangways touch and it's very rigid in operation.

On balance I think I'll stick with the Hornby/Roco for my Mk2s and use the Hunts for the MK1 stock I'm collecting - I did manage to fish out a pack of the Keen Systems replacement cams but was really disappointed by the amount of fettling required to make them fit and also the very chunky appearance once in place.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1