Middleton Top and the C&HPR

JustinDean

3 hours ago, JustinDean said:

Dry stone wall continues to be worked on, planking has had a wash of grey and a few other bits attended to. Nice to finally get some time back on this!

6FA97961-A883-4D5C-AFCE-6F1CA44AE429.jpeg.f5d91d73c17947c21941f97e676e8d90.jpeg

Vegetation around the base of the engine house is now starting to creep in.

B9383F40-BD3D-4F27-B8C8-CB9159C52912.jpeg.e49a79fda100656adc197759a28db2ec.jpeg

I’m making my second visit to Belper Model Railway Club this evening. Through Facebook I found out they’re about to embark on a 7mm scale model of Middleton Top! 

Jay

Jolly damn good show old man. 😎

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Middlepeak said:

Jay,

Keep me posted on the Belper developments, and if there's any help I can give both you and them, please PM me.

G

Thanks Geraint!

On 20/01/2024 at 16:08, JustinDean said:

The raised siding on the right was used for a water carrying tender, sited to replenish loco’s on this stretch of the line. 

03DE1845-A346-49A1-BCD9-9E11620D50AA.jpeg.305da36b9353736142d3024b81dd28a4.jpeg

There's some great pictures on Flickr of it in use.

J94s taking water at Longcliffe Longcliffe tanks

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Just read the article, Jay. 

Not good. 

Rob

• Like 1

Blimey! Is anything 'micro' in 7mm scale? The first of the pics from @montyburns56 is one of the ones that I've been thinking of replicating as a small 4mm diorama, so I can see the attraction in it.

By the way, I've seen the photo of the Crewe Goods tender loco attributed elsewhere to Hurdlow, rather than Longcliffe, but again it's a great shot.

As to comparing photo collections - by all means! I'm steadily going through mine and recording them all in an index prior to getting them into albums. Feels like a lifetime's work, and I haven't got to 3000 yet, but then again I haven't started on my books!

G

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Middlepeak said:

Blimey! Is anything 'micro' in 7mm scale? The first of the pics from @montyburns56 is one of the ones that I've been thinking of replicating as a small 4mm diorama, so I can see the attraction in it.

By the way, I've seen the photo of the Crewe Goods tender loco attributed elsewhere to Hurdlow, rather than Longcliffe, but again it's a great shot.

As to comparing photo collections - by all means! I'm steadily going through mine and recording them all in an index prior to getting them into albums. Feels like a lifetime's work, and I haven't got to 3000 yet, but then again I haven't started on my books!

G

Now you’ve mentioned it the slope of the ramp is in the opposite direction. It hadn’t occurred to me that other elevated sidings existed having only seen the Longcliffe one. 

Jay

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Apparently 6’x2’ is a micro layout in 7mm scale. 
The idea is to use the cottage as the left hand view blocker and the raised end of the elevated siding to disguise the exit on the right. The bit inbetween will be squashed up a bit from the prototype!

Jay

• Like 2

That Crewe Goods photo appears in one of the Foxline Publications - Whaley Bridge to Friden I think.

Give me a moment and I’ll check - for once I’m near my reference library!

EDIT:

As I thought, it features in ‘Scenes from the Past: 37 (part one) Railways of the High Peak Whaley Bridge to Friden’ by N Jones and JM Bentley. The caption gives c.1890 as the date, but Dowlow as the location, clarifying it as “…at the top of the Hurdlow deviation…”

Edited by Tortuga
More info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

The idea is to use the cottage as the left hand view blocker and the raised end of the elevated siding to disguise the exit on the right. The bit inbetween will be squashed up a bit from the prototype!

Jay

Good luck with that one mate!

G

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Middlepeak said:

Good luck with that one mate!

G

To be honest G I reckon the moment I see how long points are in 7mm the penny will drop that it’s probably not achievable. At this time i’m not getting too deep into planning another layout with the SWAG deadline rapidly appearing on the horizon. Seeing the Belper clubs to scale plan for a 7mm version of Middleton Top was a real eye opener. It’s massive!

Jay

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Ah I can claim the extended Whaley Shunt (7’x1’6”) as a micro then - just need to persuade people it’s 7mm but they’re standing further away!

• Funny 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I’m trying get my head around this auction ending today. Why on earth would folk be bidding so much on this?

It doesn’t even work properly!

DA7496DC-1DFE-499B-A422-0205FF4A446F.jpeg

Edited by JustinDean

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

I’m trying get my head around this auction ending today. Why on earth would folk be bidding so much on this?

It doesn’t even work properly!

DA7496DC-1DFE-499B-A422-0205FF4A446F.jpeg

Bonkers. In reality, it's probably worth around £150 in it's present condition. 

But ultimately, it's worth what someone will pay on the day.....in this case, rather a lot. 

However, that seller is worth following. 

Rob

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Bonkers. In reality, it's probably worth around £150 in it's present condition. 

But ultimately, it's worth what someone will pay on the day.....in this case, rather a lot. 

However, that seller is worth following. 

Rob

Someone was happy to pay £280 for that. 
Mind blown. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

There has been quite a discussion on Tony Wright's thread about how much secondhand kits are worth, especially when a rtr model becomes available.

I suppose this one is worth more because there is no rtr model and it is built even if it doesn't work properly? Perhaps this belongs on the Ebay madness thread!

Martyn

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Is it "madness" though? Ultimately as long as the buyer is happy with their purchase, why do we care? 🤔

Because it sets a high bar for the value of a built, albeit non-working and partially incorrect model?

I can’t help thinking that someone out there might think “If that’s worth £280, then a similar one with a working motor has to be worth a bit more, right? What about one that’s not so well constructed, but of a bigger prototype? That’s got to be worth even more?”

• Agree 3