Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Peter,

It's nice to see the 40's getting plenty of use on Llanbourne :)  They are really nice models, particularly how you have made each one a replica of the real things, some superb detailing.

I'm surprised no-one has produced smaller MU jumper units (on the side of the bogies).  Have you ever thought of flush glazing them?.... does such a thing exist for the 4mm 40's?

Cheers

Lee

Brilliant stuff Peter, the jocko looks suitably grubby for the task at hand

Thanks Simon,

I spent plenty of time on the front step of 08 09s back in the day so had to have a few nice grubby ones for Llanbourne.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

It's nice to see the 40's getting plenty of use on Llanbourne :)  They are really nice models, particularly how you have made each one a replica of the real things, some superb detailing.

I'm surprised no-one has produced smaller MU jumper units (on the side of the bogies).  Have you ever thought of flush glazing them?.... does such a thing exist for the 4mm 40's?

Cheers

Lee

Thanks Lee,

I actually removed my MU jumper units and used the ones from a Craftsman detail kit. So they are smaller than the Bachmann ones but probably still a bit big.

I am happy with the cab windows but the side windows could look better a bit more flush. Lazerglaze do windows for a few loco's but I am not sure if they do a class 40 yet.

I used a set in my Heljan 33/1 and they are very good but not cheap.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

I have been DCC for a few years now and I think I have had my first decoder fail. For the second time my 45103 stopped working, after the first time I just reset the number as it seemed to have lost its Memory. This time no luck, so I wired in a new decoder and gave 45103 a test run on a local ballast working. 

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-08732900-1468917950_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Ac Actually no. It's heading for the hottest day of the year. Unfortunately I was out at 3am so in that half asleep mood.

Probably about time, I know my Mum and Dad have been moaning about the lack of sun.

Just to make you feel better it's been raining here today, and was quite cold last week.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

I should have known some smarty pants 40 basher would make a comment like that. lol

More great pics Peter especially the 08 shunting NSE-branded Mk1 stock

I haven't forgiven 40 bashers since my very first encounter with the species.  Back in my days of Priv travel on boxes I was truing to knock off Aberystwyth, Devil's Bridge and Pwllheli in the same day.  It could only be done on the overnight York - Aber "pass and news" which left Yorkshire behind a 40 and arrived in Wales behind an early-model 24.  On this occasion I hopped on at Leeds, settled into a warm seat and was brought to a shuddering halt before Huddersfield as one of the bashers had over-pulled the communication cord and caused an emergency stop.  Their technique was to slightly pull the cord to achieve a partial brake application so the loco would have to work harder.  This time it failed.  The train was delayed for a couple of hours while the local constabulary was summoned to remove the miscreants and of course we then missed our path down the Cambrian and I missed the morning kettle up the Vale of Rheidol :(

I haven't forgiven 40 bashers since my very first encounter with the species...

Thankfully they're not all bad  :D

Peter,

keep going with the pics as it's always great to Llanbourne and the locos!!

Cheers

Lee

I haven't forgiven 40 bashers since my very first encounter with the species.  Back in my days of Priv travel on boxes I was truing to knock off Aberystwyth, Devil's Bridge and Pwllheli in the same day.  It could only be done on the overnight York - Aber "pass and news" which left Yorkshire behind a 40 and arrived in Wales behind an early-model 24.  On this occasion I hopped on at Leeds, settled into a warm seat and was brought to a shuddering halt before Huddersfield as one of the bashers had over-pulled the communication cord and caused an emergency stop.  Their technique was to slightly pull the cord to achieve a partial brake application so the loco would have to work harder.  This time it failed.  The train was delayed for a couple of hours while the local constabulary was summoned to remove the miscreants and of course we then missed our path down the Cambrian and I missed the morning kettle up the Vale of Rheidol :(

Terrible behaviour you would never get 37 basher's doing something like that.  :whistle:

More intelligent breed you see. Tweak the butterfly valve above the drop light window for a much more controlled application. :derisive:

Not that I ever did anything like that you understand. :angel:

Edited by Marcus 37

• RMweb Premium

Terrible behaviour you would never get 37 basher's doing something like that.  :whistle:

More intelligent breed you see. Tweak the butterfly valve above the drop light window for a much more controlled application. :derisive:

Agreed.  37 bashers were another breed.  I had much the same thing happen on the Pwllheli - Euston which was brought to a stand near Harlech when the butterfly was interfered with.  But on that occasion the delay only involved an angry guard storming through the train and about 15 minutes later we were on the move.  I was going to Euston anyway so a late arrival there was of no consequence.  

I think it was that trip which first brought "bellowers" to my attention as well.  Now there's something we never see modelled!

• Like 3

Agreed.  37 bashers were another breed.  I had much the same thing happen on the Pwllheli - Euston which was brought to a stand near Harlech when the butterfly was interfered with.  But on that occasion the delay only involved an angry guard storming through the train and about 15 minutes later we were on the move.  I was going to Euston anyway so a late arrival there was of no consequence.  

I think it was that trip which first brought "bellowers" to my attention as well.  Now there's something we never see modelled!

Now there's a thought for Bachmann. Coach full of bashers plus a sound chip with the sounds of "My Lordz", "Hellfire", "Dreadful" etc being hollowed. Oh and don't forget the obligatory bog roll for Peak hauled trains.

• Like 1

Now there's a thought for Bachmann. Coach full of bashers plus a sound chip with the sounds of "My Lordz", "Hellfire", "Dreadful" etc being hollowed. Oh and don't forget the obligatory bog roll for Peak hauled trains.

And the toilet out of the window........  :O  :laugh:

As kids, we bashed anything, and never really got overly obsessed with S*lzer vs E*glish E*ectric debacle. I could never understand the mileage men, unwashed dossers, always wanting to be top men! Lifes too short! :sarcastic:

• RMweb Premium

I'd have to admit to a degree of Crompton-bashing including along Peter's beloved north Wales coast.  One of my favourites was the Manchester - Cardiff double-header.  the other was always the Brighton - Exeter.  I've had 33 haulage to Llanbournedudno Junction and down to Blaenau Ffestiniog on the Conwy Crompton charter which nearly came to grief in the depths of Ffestiniog Tunnel.

• Like 1

Thanks Rick,

That sounds like a good day the got ruined, to be honest I've not heard of pulling the cord to get the brakes to go on. It seems some of these class 40 bashers are well shifty.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Lee,

Thankfully they're not all bad  :D

Peter,

keep going with the pics as it's always great to Llanbourne and the locos!!

Cheers

Lee

We only have you word on that though Lee. lol

Thanks Peter.

Hi Marcus,

I was watching a youtube video on class 37 bashers the other day it was well funny. I did a few 37's back in the day the Scottish ones were the best though best run I ever had was 37188 on a Glasgow - Perth train it absolutely flew out of Glasgow and the last minute braking to stop at each station made for a very interesting ride.

I was mainly into class 33s  and did Peaks when I could. I never knew of any Crompton Bashers tweaking the butterfly but Peak Bashers well I wouldn't put anything past the Peak Army. lol

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-05302800-1469018465.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I never knew of any Crompton Bashers tweaking the butterfly

You didn't have to.  You got thrash out of a Crompton all the time.  No additional rolling resistance required ;)

• Like 1

Great set of recent evocative photos Peter and always interesting catching up on what's been going on at Llanbourne...

Thanks Jim,

I have been running a few trains the last week but back at the workbench in the last few days. I need to get 47636 finished and the class 58 is coming on quite well.

Cheers Peter.