Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

The problems on the Conwy Crompton were two-fold.  First we lost our intended path to Blaenau because a relief crew wasn't in the right place back at Bescot so we were late arriving and were required to let the branch service go down first. So while we waited the driver refuelled at Llandudno Junction which required the two locos to be split as I recall due to the position of the fuel point.  They made it to Blaenau but on the return we stopped in the tunnel due to lost air.  Rumour down the train was we'd hit a sheep because of the sudden and shuddering stop but it seems the air connection between the locos hadn't been reconnected exactly after refuelling and had finally parted in the most awkward spot imaginable.  So we completely stuffed the remaining branch service and were back at the Junction well after dark and over two hours late as I recall.  Added to that the Pullman rake didn't see a lot of use and had low batteries meaning it was freezing at the start and remained cold inside for much of the trip.  No wonder Peter enjoyed himself so much at the bar ;)

Thanks for the reminiscing on the Conwy Crompton. 30 years ago and no internet or mobiles. It explains why I was standing in the dark at Blaenau waiting for it to arrive, and why it got back so late.

Thought you SEG boys might like these.

post-1625-0-23790000-1469434237_thumb.jpgpost-1625-0-47710900-1469434128_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Great videos Peter, lovely to hear the engines working as they go past.

My only memory of 33s was on summer trips to see the grandparents in Dorset - a fascinating journey that could be 47 hauled Dewsbury to Sheffield, an 08 shunted us onto the Newcastle portion, a 45 down to New Street, a 50 on the back to take us on to Reading and then a 33 for a further reverse down to Bournemouth. As a boy I could never understand how the smallest engine was far and away the nosiest! Not quite the same on a 156 then a Voyager...

I think a 33 may be next on the list.

• Like 3

You really have cracked these Videos Peter, Superb, I'm looking forward to the North Road Re Build with Blue Motive Power now and again.

Thanks Andy,

I am looking forwards to your plans with North Road. 

Cheers Peter.

Great videos Peter, lovely to hear the engines working as they go past.

My only memory of 33s was on summer trips to see the grandparents in Dorset - a fascinating journey that could be 47 hauled Dewsbury to Sheffield, an 08 shunted us onto the Newcastle portion, a 45 down to New Street, a 50 on the back to take us on to Reading and then a 33 for a further reverse down to Bournemouth. As a boy I could never understand how the smallest engine was far and away the nosiest! Not quite the same on a 156 then a Voyager...

I think a 33 may be next on the list.

Thanks Mate,

Sounds like a good trip with a good variety of motive power. I always liked the Peaks. 33s were not always on the inter regionals it was often a class 47/4 I lived on the Bournemouth line at Sway so it was always nice to see a class 33 on passenger work rather than the more common class 47.

33's were always good for a bit of thrash I could hear then leaving Sway station from my house. You certainly need one or three for your layout the Heljan class 33 is a good model though the first and second batch have their faults though nothing major.

Cheers Peter.

I dunno about the class 45 "storming" past; more like "sauntering" past!! ;)

Very nice vids, Peter. The scenery has also gone ahead in leaps and bounds.

Thanks Jeff, yes I will go with that it needs a bit more speed for storming. The scenery has had more work since the video's were done.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mate,

Sounds like a good trip with a good variety of motive power. I always liked the Peaks. 33s were not always on the inter regionals it was often a class 47/4 I lived on the Bournemouth line at Sway so it was always nice to see a class 33 on passenger work rather than the more common class 47.

33's were always good for a bit of thrash I could hear then leaving Sway station from my house. You certainly need one or three for your layout the Heljan class 33 is a good model though the first and second batch have their faults though nothing major.

Cheers Peter.

I recall most trips were 47/4s all the way, but the ones I remember best were the unusual motive power variety. We did have a 31/4 from Sheffield one time, but they changed it at Derby - probably because it had put a couple of pistons out of the exhaust trying to keep to time.

Thanks Marcus & Adrian,

Best I can do at the moment is a Grubby Canton based no heat beast filling in for a class 33 on a Cardiff service.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 14

Hi Peter

I haven't been on the site very much recently so I've enjoyed catch up with Llanbourne tonight.

Loved the videos, they really bring the layout to life. Thanks for taking the time to produce and post them.

Regards

Alan

Hi Peter

I haven't been on the site very much recently so I've enjoyed catch up with Llanbourne tonight.

Loved the videos, they really bring the layout to life. Thanks for taking the time to produce and post them.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

I noticed no updates on your S&C thread plus your other project. Hope you can find the time to get some modelling done soon.

All the Best Peter.

These videos are getting better and better, Peter. I thought the 47 looked utterly convincing. The only thing missing is a little exhaust smoke (and no, I'm not suggesting you fit smoke units to ll your diesels; that would be a step too far, especially as I don't think model smoke is at all convincing!).

p.s. I still haven't emailed Bif yet, but I do want one of his class 71 projects, so I'll be doing that very soon. Will give you a call to verify which decoder you want reblown with what sounds.

Hi Peter,

Great to see the videos really brings it all to life. I do like the sound fitted locos,

All the best

Mark

Thanks mark,

They don't look to bad considering they are from my i phone. I will try a few with my old Digital camera. I don't have sound in everything as more than a couple working at once gets a bit to much. 

Cheers Peter.