Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Now he can't count either!! wink.gif

Jon, Gary, Doug ... and me! Any other takers??

I did just mean the lastest two coments rolleyes.gif but if you want to drop the others in it, thats fine by me. laugh.gif

Cheers Peter,

I seem to remember adding my support to the DCC proponents too... Must admit it came as a surprise to discover that Llanbourne wasn't DCC. wink.gif

Hi Dave,

Your layout and Jeffs are what has got me thinking about DCC, but cash is the main issue at the moment plus I have a few more locos to get, though the end is in site,biggrin.gif honest. Biggest problem is I have taken an interest in 7mm which would have to be DCC with sound. ohmy.gif

Cheers Peter,

DCC is evil, it turned me into a newt ...

... now, as an amphibious salamader I have experienced several problems with DCC. Firstly, your wiring needs to be 100% otherwise shorts will turn a good operating session into a damp squid. Secondly, the cheapo chips arn't that good and therefore it can be quite expensive when you do decide to digitise. Thirdly, you'll get sucked into the wonderful world of sound and end up spending sooo much money you'll get love letters from a bloke called Darling. And finally, the ergonmics of most throttles arn't set up for lizards ...

Do you really need it ... naaaaaa ... you can obviously build a fantastic layout without it!!!

Keep up the good work Peter, think of all the lovely new trains you could buy instead of the DCC chips and throttle cool.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif He got better.

Hi Jack , There are a few things with DCC that I think will be improved in time, I am quite happy to sit back and watch for now. As you say, I can buy locos not chips,biggrin.gif I think in time it will get cheaper and that means I wont get in trouble with SWMBO.

Cheers Peter,

Good afternoon Peter,

I know i couldn't resist :D lol well i run both dc and dcc so i'm not completely dcc sound, think dc is just as good apart from no sounds coming out of the loco's and to be honest its a lot of money for something which still needs a lot of tweaking as mentioned in the post b4 dcc chips of the shelf aren't to clever and can judder at slow speeds so i only have sound loco's on dcc because of this reason fela!

The sounds are ok from howes models and the Hornby 60 sounds good but for wat you pay the sounds need a lot of working doing to them before i'm happy to pay over a ton for a speaker and chip!

Nice fots again luvin all the 33's and 25's a nice little loco these are and i'm quite fond of them aswell as 24's too must build a fleet of sulzers up 1 day ;)

Cheers Again, Jon.

Nice fots again luvin all the 33's and 25's a nice little loco these are and i'm quite fond of them aswell as 24's too must build a fleet of sulzers up 1 day ;)

Get on with it, you know it makes sense ;) Your comment set me thinking about Baby Sulzers, and I realised with a slight shiver I've just chipped my 12th (4 x 24, 4 x 25, 4 x 26) :blink:

They're great little workhorses, shape issues on the early-style 25s notwithstanding, and you can assemble a link at bargain prices too, makes the moment easier when you take a blade or weathering filth to them in anger ;)

Hi Dave,

Your layout and Jeffs are what has got me thinking about DCC, but cash is the main issue at the moment plus I have a few more locos to get, though the end is in site,biggrin.gif honest. Biggest problem is I have taken an interest in 7mm which would have to be DCC with sound. ohmy.gif

Cheers Peter,

Hi Peter,

Yeah, cash can be a problem with DCC, especially once you've gone down the sound road and you already have a reasonably large fleet. IMO it's worth sacrificing a few extra locos to fit ones you already have with sound, but then I can't talk, I have quite a few locos sat in their boxes awaiting the funds to buy sound chips. I don't run locos now unless they have sound fitted. That's what sound does to you I'm afraid. There's no going back once you've started.

I'd see a doctor about that interest in 7mm if I were you. That really could damage your (financial) health if it develops! laugh.gif

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Peter,

Yeah, cash can be a problem with DCC, especially once you've gone down the sound road and you already have a reasonably large fleet. IMO it's worth sacrificing a few extra locos to fit ones you already have with sound, but then I can't talk, I have quite a few locos sat in their boxes awaiting the funds to buy sound chips. I don't run locos now unless they have sound fitted. That's what sound does to you I'm afraid. There's no going back once you've started.

I'd see a doctor about that interest in 7mm if I were you. That really could damage your (financial) health if it develops! laugh.gif

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I know what you mean about having locos in boxes, I have a few just waiting to be detailed and weathered. class 20s,25s,31,33,37/4, 40s, 45, 47s 50, 56 Hopefully I will get a few done this year, I have Two 47s nearly finished with another one just started, plus over the next few weeks a class 31/4 will be on the workbench.biggrin.gif

Yes the 7mm stuff is a problem but its something I have wanted to do for quite a while, I am not planning on having a lot as I only have room for a small shunting layout. The 4mm is still my main interest with the 7mm being a long term project, thats what I keep telling myself anyway.rolleyes.gif

Cheers Peter,

47535 is pretty much finished, I am quite happy with how it looks but I might try and improve the steps that sit on the bufferbeam cowling. Here is 47535 arriving from Holyhead on a LE move with 45103.

Cheers Peter,

post-7022-127115004255_thumb.jpg

post-7022-127115029816_thumb.jpg

post-7022-127115051526_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Pete, 47 looks great , what do you use for your grass/bushes ect ..I`m just weathering up the brewery area and I need some grass/foliage .I found some stuff up the woods which looks ok , the stuff in the shops is a bit ker-chinggggg..If you know what I mean..Cheers Keith.

Hi Peter,

The 47 looks great. It's a shame the loco Bachmann chose doesn't lend itself to easy conversion to some Scottish examples, otherwise I might have bought a few. Maybe they'll bring out some other large logo examples in the future.

I like what you've done with it though. Nice and understated.

Cheers,

Dave

I think that's what "makes" Peter's layout; everything is understated yet there is some incredibly fine and carefully manufactured detail there if you look for it.

B)

Hi Keith, Most of my scenary stuff is by Woodland senics which as you say is not cheap the grass turfs are by another company also not cheap, welcome the the not cheap world of model railways.biggrin.gif The ground cover by between the road bridge and tunnel is old carpet underlay glued down in clumps and painted green you could also use hanging basket liners, I think mum would have some at home.

Thanks Dave, I think Bachmann may have done a few more 47s this year, but I think they are so busy doing all the limited editions for the model shops they probably don't have time.rolleyes.gif I would love a few more large logo 47s too, I am planning on doing 47467 from a blue loco I have but a few others are in front of that. 47612 in Inter-City is hopefully on its way over, this will be renumbered 47613 and my Lima model can be sold.

Thanks Jeff,biggrin.gif I am planning on having a meeting here May 1st if anyone can make it, I think Neil is keen so you and Doug are more than welcome.

Thanks Alex, Yeah I know what you mean, I quite like 47541 myself, we must resist we must resist.

Cheers Peter,

Hi Peter,

Nice to see a new 47 model on your layout and looking very good! I really like the new Bachmann 47's that we are getting at the moment - 47 474 has joined my fleet well not officially until Saturday 30th present from my mum and see even kept it down in Barrow since December so I couldn't run it! If I can work out how to upload a video I will add it to my layout thread to tempt you by DCC sound had a go at recording my 2 DRS sound fitted 37's. Only joking - it is easier to plan to do a layout from the start to DCC where as converting is not as easy as people will make it out to be if you want everything to run well without stalling etc. Even doing mine today thought everything was going well until I shorted out on the two 3 way points as I hadn't used enough insulated joiners on 2 other rails. At least it wasn't too painful to fix. Keep up the good work as always,

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Peter,

Nice to see a new 47 model on your layout and looking very good! I really like the new Bachmann 47's that we are getting at the moment - 47 474 has joined my fleet well not officially until Saturday 30th present from my mum and see even kept it down in Barrow since December so I couldn't run it! If I can work out how to upload a video I will add it to my layout thread to tempt you by DCC sound had a go at recording my 2 DRS sound fitted 37's. Only joking - it is easier to plan to do a layout from the start to DCC where as converting is not as easy as people will make it out to be if you want everything to run well without stalling etc. Even doing mine today thought everything was going well until I shorted out on the two 3 way points as I hadn't used enough insulated joiners on 2 other rails. At least it wasn't too painful to fix. Keep up the good work as always,

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks Mark, Happy birthday for yesterday,

I do like the Bachmann 47s and 2010 is going to be the year that I get some done as Llanbourne is well short of class 47s, the ones I do have running are Lima so are well past their use by date.biggrin.gif

I saw a friends DCC layout yesterday and he has been having trouble with points and shorts, and he rewired the whole layout huh.gif his class 37 did sound nice though.

Cheers Peter,

I understand fully ! smile.gif

I spent many a year in the 70's and 80's travelling along the Welsh coast with my Dad, Llanbourne takes me back to those times, even to the Crosville buses in the background ! That's who my Dad worked for !

A model railway can have so much more meaning to it than just a train on a track ! That's what makes it a great hobby !

Funnily enough, I tore up my railway and am starting again! Coincidence or what? Seriously, I have mentally noted a few ideas from Llanbourne to incorporate in my new one. biggrin.gif

Have you now,ohmy.gif You better tell what you are going to do as you my be infringing on Llanbourne's Copywright.tongue.gif

I understand fully ! smile.gif

I spent many a year in the 70's and 80's travelling along the Welsh coast with my Dad, Llanbourne takes me back to those times, even to the Crosville buses in the background ! That's who my Dad worked for !

A model railway can have so much more meaning to it than just a train on a track ! That's what makes it a great hobby !

Thanks Graham,

Glad you like it, though there are times when I am tempted to rip it up and start again.

Cheers Peter,