Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

• RMweb Premium

Hi Merf,

Thought you might know. I have searched flickr for pics of the train it seems between 6 and 9 MK1 s were the norn with a brake at one end and the rest SKs or TSOs sometimes a Ck. All were Blue Grey.

I will leave my Inter- city MK1 in the rake for now but will drop a blue Grey one in and some point.

Cheers Peter.

There I was thinking you’d be able to justify my purchase of an i/c mk1 and it turns out you have to adjust your rake? This hardly seems fair. Interesting background information learnt though which is always good.

There I was thinking you’d be able to justify my purchase of an i/c mk1 and it turns out you have to adjust your rake? This hardly seems fair. Interesting background information learnt though which is always good.

I wouldn't worry I am happy to keep using my i/c MK1. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As a follower of this layout, who eagerly awaits new pictures, I see there has been no recent updates, I hope all is well with yourself Peter.

Regards

Dan

Hi Dan,

All good thanks mate, I have lost a bit of the old mojo recently to be honest.  I have been doing a few bits and pieces on the workbench and with the 7mm stuff though.

I really need to get on with the loco shed I started last year and now with some cooler weather on the forecast I might want to get out to the garage and do a bit.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 3

Hi Dan,

All good thanks mate, I have lost a bit of the old mojo recently to be honest.  I have been doing a few bits and pieces on the workbench and with the 7mm stuff though.

I really need to get on with the loco shed I started last year and now with some cooler weather on the forecast I might want to get out to the garage and do a bit.

Cheers Peter.

You can have some of our Snow if you like Peter, we really don't mind you having it, and the bonus is, IT'S FREE. :no:

Looking forward to any pics here or the Blue 7mm stuff.

• Like 1

You can have some of our Snow if you like Peter, we really don't mind you having it, and the bonus is, IT'S FREE. :no:

Looking forward to any pics here or the Blue 7mm stuff.

Hi Andy, I spoke to my parents last night and they had quite a bit down in Sway. Must admit I don't mind the snow as it was quite a novelty down South although once it turns to slush and ice it's no fun. 

You can send some over if you want I am pretty sure it has never snowed here in Safety Beach, though it does snow up in the North of the state during winter.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

“Quite a bit down in Sway” is perhaps an understatement. Not a couple of miles from there we had several trains stranded, at least one filled with passengers, overnight due to snow drifts blocking the line through the New Forest. Ice on the con-rails will not have helped either.

It’s been an interesting few days trying to run a commuter railway in the south in conditions only normally found in the farther north. Salisbury - Exeter was also blocked by snow and many suburban routes were closed due to excessive ice beyond what the MPVs could clear.

All back to normal this morning apart from some units out of service for safety checks after freezing up.

• Like 1

Hi bruv ,just havin a catch up on your layout progress..some great pics & videos as always .. ! 

just a pic of Sway station , not alot of snow but still stopped the trains for a day or two , more the ice on the juice which stopped the SWR services..only lasted a couple of days before the warmer weather returned , back to rain now..post-6833-0-67348300-1520272719_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

“Quite a bit down in Sway” is perhaps an understatement. Not a couple of miles from there we had several trains stranded, at least one filled with passengers, overnight due to snow drifts blocking the line through the New Forest. Ice on the con-rails will not have helped either.

It’s been an interesting few days trying to run a commuter railway in the south in conditions only normally found in the farther north. Salisbury - Exeter was also blocked by snow and many suburban routes were closed due to excessive ice beyond what the MPVs could clear.

All back to normal this morning apart from some units out of service for safety checks after freezing up.

Hi Rick,

Hope you and Sharon are well and enjoying life in London. Yes my dad did mention a train getting stuck down Christchurch way. Passenger stuck for the night until a train was sent wrong line and parked next to the stranded train. Glad things are back to normal now.

Cheers Peter.

Hi bruv ,just havin a catch up on your layout progress..some great pics & videos as always .. ! 

just a pic of Sway station , not alot of snow but still stopped the trains for a day or two , more the ice on the juice which stopped the SWR services..only lasted a couple of days before the warmer weather returned , back to rain now..attachicon.gif2018-03-02 17.56.29.jpg

Thanks Mate, 

Nice pic. I still think that these days the trains should be able to handle some snow and ice, it seems it comes down not being prepared.

The weather here is cooling down now and the days are getting shorter, must admit not looking forwards to the colder weather but it might mean I get somthing done in the garage.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter

Yes enjoying life here and the job isn’t bad either.

In terms of being prepared the SR of our day wouldn’t have done any better last week. There was plenty of warning with timing and severity about right. Platforms were gritted, MPVs were out on de-icing duties and extra e.c.s. ran where possible through the nights. The high winds of Storm Emma and the damp air caused icing everywhere. Even waterfalls froze solid on the Dorset / Devon coasts. The wind chill brought the temperature down to -7C and feeling like -20C here and that’s within London. With varying amounts of snow already on the ground it was a recipe for a shutdown. As fast as the con-rail was treated it iced over again. And snow blowing in the gale drifted everywhere.

Who would have thought that brand-new class 707 units would actually have had to use their snowploughs before (in some cases) even carrying their first passengers?

All normal today. Track circuit failure at Waterloo, signal failure at Berrylands and points being urgently replaced atvWokingham have wreaked morning peak havoc!

Thanks Mate, 

Nice pic. I still think that these days the trains should be able to handle some snow and ice, it seems it comes down not being prepared.

The weather here is cooling down now and the days are getting shorter, must admit not looking forwards to the colder weather but it might mean I get somthing done in the garage.

Cheers Peter.

You've got until April, according to the latest The Clearing House! I hadn't realised you were down for the meeting after mine. :)

• Like 1

Hi Peter

Yes enjoying life here and the job isn’t bad either.

In terms of being prepared the SR of our day wouldn’t have done any better last week. There was plenty of warning with timing and severity about right. Platforms were gritted, MPVs were out on de-icing duties and extra e.c.s. ran where possible through the nights. The high winds of Storm Emma and the damp air caused icing everywhere. Even waterfalls froze solid on the Dorset / Devon coasts. The wind chill brought the temperature down to -7C and feeling like -20C here and that’s within London. With varying amounts of snow already on the ground it was a recipe for a shutdown. As fast as the con-rail was treated it iced over again. And snow blowing in the gale drifted everywhere.

Who would have thought that brand-new class 707 units would actually have had to use their snowploughs before (in some cases) even carrying their first passengers?

All normal today. Track circuit failure at Waterloo, signal failure at Berrylands and points being urgently replaced atvWokingham have wreaked morning peak havoc!

Hi Rick, Glad you are going ok. It does seem that the weather was very unusual especially for this time of year. Good to hear things are back to normal, though as you know everyday day on the railway is different. 

Cheers Peter.

You've got until April, according to the latest The Clearing House! I hadn't realised you were down for the meeting after mine. :)

Correct Jeff, All being well I will be up to yours next week. 

Cheers Peter.

• 1 month later...

I had a BRMA meeting here on Saturday and decided to have a steam running day. I removed all my diesels and stock and asked BRMA members to bring their steam stock. I have always been a fan of the old S&D so asked for trains that might have been seen at Bournemouth West with a few others just to fill some room in the fiddleyard.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-87841900-1524402975_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-05332700-1524403136_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-04511600-1524403203_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-94082700-1524403243_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-55036200-1524403296_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-90903600-1524403340_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-40093200-1524403379_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-64894500-1524403429_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-38058100-1524403529_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-47247800-1524403562_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-14831400-1524403605_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-47526200-1524403649_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-77669300-1524403686_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-99144900-1524403781_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-97984000-1524403821_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-87480000-1524403879_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-23771900-1524403951_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-85331700-1524404035_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-97868100-1524404131_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Superb. Great to see a familiar layout in a very unfamiliar setting. Though I notice several diesels did creep in. The green 47 would be accurate for the final year of the Pines Express when it ran via Southampton.

Who owns 34069? That is a cracking weathering job though the tender seems to have the same problem as on my WC class locos namely oily residue above the solebar up the side panels. It doesn’t look out of place though. And what brand of coal is in the tender? It looks much more accurate and convincing than the Woodland stuff I use.

Cheers

Rick

• RMweb Gold

I concur with Andy P..... It's great that you can operate a railway with steam and diesel on different days as it bring a layout to life....

On another note it also brings some operating issues to the fore front but it makes the operator think more about the moves...

Totally changes the layout.... Brilliant 

Jim

• Like 1

Crikey Peter, The Layout becomes unrecognisable in that guise, superb mate.

Thanks Andy, I have some video that I will upload during the week. I thought it looked good with all the steamers, it ran quite well too.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Superb. Great to see a familiar layout in a very unfamiliar setting. Though I notice several diesels did creep in. The green 47 would be accurate for the final year of the Pines Express when it ran via Southampton.

Who owns 34069? That is a cracking weathering job though the tender seems to have the same problem as on my WC class locos namely oily residue above the solebar up the side panels. It doesn’t look out of place though. And what brand of coal is in the tender? It looks much more accurate and convincing than the Woodland stuff I use.

Cheers

Rick

Thanks Rick, Yes Jeff's class 47 did see some use as did the class 33. 

34069 is mine, as you say it does suffer from residue on the tender side. While running it today I gave it a wipe with a damp cloth and it seems to have improved things a bit.

I find the best looking coal is the real stuff. Though I am not sure how a spam can would go with this victorian coal though. lol

Cheers Peter. 

• Like 2