Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Just scanned back through for pics of your Oil Depot Peter, for ideas for my New Project that will be starting as soon as Kings Moreton is delivered to it's New Owner next week.

Excellent work, and good to see you posting on here again.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich,

Good to hear that Llanbourne gives you some inspiration, seems like you are getting your mojo back. 

Glad you like the pics just goes to prove it's not always hot and sunny here. Happy if you want to send some heat over though I am a bit over the winter.

Just a few pics of the finished Mk1s and MK2s and a few other things on the workbench.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Oh it certainly does that!! I was at Llandudno Junction last week, what a pitiful sight it is now. The remains of the Yard are still there, but totally overgrown with trees. Not like the 1980s, as for Llandundo, three platforms , hardly any roof, and no run-round loop, really is a sad state of affairs.

Mojo is returning slowly, but also helped by work setting down, giving me less stupid hours and more free time. Plus there was the realisation that I have a fleet of over 15 modern image O gauge locomotives (plus carriages and wagons) and with that kind of investment it either needs running or selling, rather than being sat in boxes as it is now! I’ve chosen the former!!

I love what your doing with the Mk1s and MK2s. I’ve some lighting work to do on my Heljan coaches, although I wish Dapol would bring some MK2s out rather than more Mk1s! I appear to also spot a Heljan O gauge OAA on your workbench....

Rich

• Like 1

Hi Rich,

Good to hear that Llanbourne gives you some inspiration, seems like you are getting your mojo back. 

Glad you like the pics just goes to prove it's not always hot and sunny here. Happy if you want to send some heat over though I am a bit over the winter.

Just a few pics of the finished Mk1s and MK2s and a few other things on the workbench.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Rich,

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Long time since I contacted you. Just spotted the class 27 on the workbench! What plans have you for this? Is this the start of the Scottish layout by chance?

Regards

Simon

Just scanned back through for pics of your Oil Depot Peter, for ideas for my New Project that will be starting as soon as Kings Moreton is delivered to it's New Owner next week.

Excellent work, and good to see you posting on here again.

thanks Andy, 

I look forwards to your next project. I did notice you had sold Kings Moreton, I didn'y think it would be long before you started something else.

If you need anymore pics of the oil depot let me know.

Cheers Peter. 

as for Llandundo, three platforms , hardly any roof, and no run-round loop, really is a sad state of affairs.

Technically speaking there is a run round loop in the recently reinstated carriage sidings, been used twice this year I think!

thanks Andy, 

I look forwards to your next project. I did notice you had sold Kings Moreton, I didn'y think it would be long before you started something else.

If you need anymore pics of the oil depot let me know.

Cheers Peter. 

Cheers Peter, mine will be a single road affair, but it was just the general ambiance that caught my eye.

There's a Layout on the Exhibition circuit over here in good old Blighty, and they have say, a rake of Grey Tanks in the Depot, and swap them for Black, next time swap for Green / BP, then back to Grey again, so lots of variety, and operation.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Hi Peter,

Oh it certainly does that!! I was at Llandudno Junction last week, what a pitiful sight it is now. The remains of the Yard are still there, but totally overgrown with trees. Not like the 1980s, as for Llandundo, three platforms , hardly any roof, and no run-round loop, really is a sad state of affairs.

Mojo is returning slowly, but also helped by work setting down, giving me less stupid hours and more free time. Plus there was the realisation that I have a fleet of over 15 modern image O gauge locomotives (plus carriages and wagons) and with that kind of investment it either needs running or selling, rather than being sat in boxes as it is now! I’ve chosen the former!!

I love what your doing with the Mk1s and MK2s. I’ve some lighting work to do on my Heljan coaches, although I wish Dapol would bring some MK2s out rather than more Mk1s! I appear to also spot a Heljan O gauge OAA on your workbench....

Rich

Hi Rich,

I called into Llandudno a few years back when I was over on Holiday. As you say there is very little left there now. My wife loves a good castle so we walked round Conwy for a while and I managed to get a pic of a RHTT train with class 37s on it which I have to say was better than the units running up and down.

I hope you can get something up and running it's a shame having such nice stock and not being able to run it. Juggling time is a problem we all have so steady work hours certainly helps. 

I think it's only a matter of time before Dapol or someone will produce some MK2s in 7mm. I think the next few years we will see quite alot of new 7mm stuff coming out.

The OAA will get weathered at some point, I try and do a bit of 7mm here and there, once the warmer weather comes I will try and crack on the layout.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

Cheers Peter, mine will be a single road affair, but it was just the general ambiance that caught my eye.

There's a Layout on the Exhibition circuit over here in good old Blighty, and they have say, a rake of Grey Tanks in the Depot, and swap them for Black, next time swap for Green / BP, then back to Grey again, so lots of variety, and operation.

I always wanted to do an oil terminal as I remember seeing all the oil trains heading to Fawley back in the day. I would love to have had the room for a longer siding and be able to run some 100t bogie tanks though these didn't run in North Wales as far as I know.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

Hi Peter

Long time since I contacted you. Just spotted the class 27 on the workbench! What plans have you for this? Is this the start of the Scottish layout by chance?

Regards

Simon

Hi Simon, 

The class 27 will become 27005 which was the first class 27 I saw, Way back in 1985. I have always like the Scottish stuff and over the years have built up a small fleet, I have another class 27 some 26s and 37s A couple have been started and are currently waiting for room on the overcrowded workbench. I will post up a pic when I am out in the garage later.

I think one day I will have enough to run Scottish stock on Llanbourne  I have always thought it would work quite well operating like Inverness.

Cheers Peter. 

Edit to add pics.

post-7022-0-71746800-1534078010_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-47899000-1534078041_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-52650800-1534078074_thumb.jpg

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 8

I remember coming out of Hythe one day, and sitting almost under the Rail Bridge as a smokey Sector 37 came very slowly splattering over the top with a full load. AWESOME.

We used to send down a double train of empties first thing in the morning, it was normally a class 47 but one cold frosty morning a single class 37 turned up. The departure was quite impressive with plenty of wheel slip and sparks coming from the wheels and out of the exhaust and plenty of English Electric Thrash.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-48014300-1534050960_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• 4 weeks later...

The coaches look mint Peter. I especially love the mk2's - they look 'just right.'

Ive gone a bit mad recently and purchased a 26. Don't know why as Ive not seen any pictures of one in the West Midlands! (not after they were transferred up north anyhoo!)

Also who doesn't love a single tractor on tanks on a slippery rail? Happy days  :good:

Trev :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Liking the NSE-flash Mk1s Peter

Those beasts got everywhere. Literally from Thurso to Penzance, Pwllheli to Skegness.  As I recall the flashed ones were the older or less good ones transferred to NSE from the regions and which were not intended for the full refurbishment / repaint.  They were expected to have short lives as new-generation DMU units arrived but those were late.

So handfuls of very tired ex-NSE Mk1 coaches, mostly with the flashes, were dispersed around the country to places where the need was urgent.  Inverness got quite a number which turned up on the Kyle, Far North, Aberdeen and Highland Main lines, though mostly they stayed north of the Virgin's Town.  I encountered one on a Jolly Fisherman rake behind a pair of 20s which also means they probably turned up on the Blythe Bridge - Llandudno summer extras.  So there's your prototype.  Others were based at Euston Downside and Oxley; I'm not sure who provided the stock but there was a summer Euston - Pwllheli duty for a couple of years before it was diverted to Aberystwyth.  Leaving London late Friday it parked up for about five hours on the Abbey Foregate loop rather than occupy a platform in Shrewsbury station (where it was not booked to call) before heading west into Wales.  Nice run.  Always a 37 on from Wolverhampton.

As you may remember I too have a thing for Scottish types.  I can justify the two 26s appearing on the new layout as they briefly ran on the ER before going north but the pair of 17s will remain Rule 1 traction!  I'm keen to add a large logo with stag 37 but with the new layout being 1960s it's too recent and would have to live in its box for the foreseeable future.

All the best from a London where it has finally cooled down enough to be able to crack on with track and wiring.  Trains are moving under their own power already.

• Like 2

The coaches look mint Peter. I especially love the mk2's - they look 'just right.'

Ive gone a bit mad recently and purchased a 26. Don't know why as Ive not seen any pictures of one in the West Midlands! (not after they were transferred up north anyhoo!)

Also who doesn't love a single tractor on tanks on a slippery rail? Happy days  :good:

Trev :)

Thanks Trev,

The 26s are a great little loco. They did make it down as far as Preston on a van train in the late 80s. I had one on a special from Manchester to Barrow. 

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-18518200-1536237439_thumb.jpg

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 7

Liking the NSE-flash Mk1s Peter

Those beasts got everywhere. Literally from Thurso to Penzance, Pwllheli to Skegness.  As I recall the flashed ones were the older or less good ones transferred to NSE from the regions and which were not intended for the full refurbishment / repaint.  They were expected to have short lives as new-generation DMU units arrived but those were late.

So handfuls of very tired ex-NSE Mk1 coaches, mostly with the flashes, were dispersed around the country to places where the need was urgent.  Inverness got quite a number which turned up on the Kyle, Far North, Aberdeen and Highland Main lines, though mostly they stayed north of the Virgin's Town.  I encountered one on a Jolly Fisherman rake behind a pair of 20s which also means they probably turned up on the Blythe Bridge - Llandudno summer extras.  So there's your prototype.  Others were based at Euston Downside and Oxley; I'm not sure who provided the stock but there was a summer Euston - Pwllheli duty for a couple of years before it was diverted to Aberystwyth.  Leaving London late Friday it parked up for about five hours on the Abbey Foregate loop rather than occupy a platform in Shrewsbury station (where it was not booked to call) before heading west into Wales.  Nice run.  Always a 37 on from Wolverhampton.

As you may remember I too have a thing for Scottish types.  I can justify the two 26s appearing on the new layout as they briefly ran on the ER before going north but the pair of 17s will remain Rule 1 traction!  I'm keen to add a large logo with stag 37 but with the new layout being 1960s it's too recent and would have to live in its box for the foreseeable future.

All the best from a London where it has finally cooled down enough to be able to crack on with track and wiring.  Trains are moving under their own power already.

Thanks Rick, I remember seeing them all over the place. I was in Scotland the week after the actual NSE livery came out and we saw a MK2 tso at Glasgow Queen St.

I did notice you had been busy on your layout, and that the weather has cooled down. Spring has certainly arrived here it's warming up nicely though it did rain this evening.

Cheers Peter.

• Tempfix

Hi Peter,

Well it's taken me about a month to work through this thread, but definitely time well spent. Congratulations on a fantastic layout and particularly love your attention to detail with the rolling stock. Trying to work out how I could justify a 40 now, although might be bending rule 1 further than I have before. More of the same please!

Rich

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

Well it's taken me about a month to work through this thread, but definitely time well spent. Congratulations on a fantastic layout and particularly love your attention to detail with the rolling stock. Trying to work out how I could justify a 40 now, although might be bending rule 1 further than I have before. More of the same please!

Rich

Bend rule 1!!! by the look of your signature we model the same era, 1980/90 NSE, I have 40's, the justification being that the CFPS went main line 15 years earlier than they actually did!

• Like 2

Hi Peter,

Rich

Its not that many years between Class 40s being around and NSE appearing. NSE was 1987 wasn't it? and some of the ones re-activated for Crewe remodelling as 97/4s were withdrawn in early 1986

Rule 1 could always have another big engineers job going on needing more Class 40s! ... ;)

• Like 2

Hi Peter,

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for you kind words, getting the stock right is something I spent too much time doing really. I could have finished the layout by now. I have had a quick look at your layout threads, you have some nice stock too and your Catford - more layout is looking very nice, I will have a better look when I get time. 

As for a class 40 you could do D200 as it lasted into 88-89 from memory I saw it a few times and it was used for the Basingstoke rail day in 87. D200 worked shuttles from Basingstoke to Andover during the day.

Cheers Peter.