Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, pH said:

So now I have two drills with no chargeable battery and no possibility of getting one (the model of drill is old and has an unusual connection to the battery).

I realise it's too late now but when I was faced with a similar situation (dead battery and manufacturer's replacement too expensive) I found that Ebay had a number of sellers who could supply a very cheap Chinese equivalent battery that's still working well several years later.

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

I realise it's too late now but when I was faced with a similar situation (dead battery and manufacturer's replacement too expensive) I found that Ebay had a number of sellers who could supply a very cheap Chinese equivalent battery that's still working well several years later.

Bear has done the same, with both power tools (drill) and laptop.  The one two pieces of advice I would offer is not to aim for the cheapest and to aim for a reputable UK seller.  When NiMh batteries go wrong it's not often fun, as it often involves going bang or catching fire.  Buying genuine batteries doesn't protect against this either.

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear has done the same, with both power tools (drill) and laptop.  The one two pieces of advice I would offer is not to aim for the cheapest and to aim for a reputable UK seller.  When NiMh batteries go wrong it's not often fun, as it often involves going bang or catching fire.  Buying genuine batteries doesn't protect against this either.

I second that advice.  There are any number of electrical appliances being sold from the Far East on eBay which don't meet UK or EU safety regulations.  They can't be officially imported but getting a one-off sent through the post circumvents the legislation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, polybear said:

When I want any rechargeable batteries, I use Strikalite:

www.strikalite.co.uk

They will supply individual batteries for you to make up into packs, or you can get packs ready made up, or Strikalite will make up custom packs to customer requirements.

I have no commercial interest in this company, but they've always been very helpful. 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

A few years ago I was at a model aircraft meeting when a large LiPo battery that was on charge exploded in flames (I think because it was being charged at too high a rate although I'm not certain about that) and it was quite spectacular. It was a good job that it wasn't indoors or in the back of a car as I've often seen it being done.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

A few years ago I was at a model aircraft meeting when a large LiPo battery that was on charge exploded in flames (I think because it was being charged at too high a rate although I'm not certain about that) and it was quite spectacular. It was a good job that it wasn't indoors or in the back of a car as I've often seen it being done.

Dave

IIRC didn't batteries cause aircraft fires not long ago. One of the Boeings I think.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

It was the 787 'Dreamliner' that had the problem with Lithium batteries and for a while the whole fleet was grounded  - about six or seven years ago IIRC. I can't recall exactly what had caused the problem but in the depths of my forgettory I think it was a manufacturing defect.

Dave

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

It was the 787 'Dreamliner' that had the problem with Lithium batteries and for a while the whole fleet was grounded  - about six or seven years ago IIRC. I can't recall exactly what had caused the problem but in the depths of my forgettory I think it was a manufacturing defect.

Forgettory not so fallible, it seems: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_787_Dreamliner_battery_problems.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I HAD a professional relationship with Strikalite I can declare, and can still recommend them!  To keep it fair, Fosworks are good too, but more on the RC side of batteries.  Both good helpful businesses I no longer have connection to as a dealer, but I still do personally.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

A wander around Attingham Park this morning resulted in Nyda going into the shop and buying some more Ferns for the garden:  They were 20% off, so were deemed good value.

It was interesting to see the various styles of dress of those visiting.

When were arrived it was hats, coats and gloves for the majority.  By the time we were departing new arrivals were turning up in shorts and Tee shirts.

I remained fully clad.... I remember what history taught us about both retreats from Moscow.

It's easier to cool down than it is to warm up!

My woodworking projects have stalled until the drill I want is back in stock.  (That's my excuse which I will adhere to.)

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 8
  • Funny 2

Any excuse  to 'temporary suspend operations' a HH.

Mind you not that I am knocking you. If you don't have the part, you don't have the part and as an excuse that is a cracking one. Up there with 'pass me the screwdriver, old chap' attributed to the quarter master at Rorkes Drift or how about 'is that a right or left handed spanner' said by corporal smith at Aldermaston circa 1957 and many more.

I trust you will keep us informed of the replacement drills progress towards Hipposhire.

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I trust you will keep us informed of the replacement drills progress towards Hipposhire.

I most certainly will, although there are a number of other tasks that can continue where vertical integrity is not so important.

I suspect that I will take a trip up to Morgan's domain one evening with the parts that need drilling with the hole saw.  

• Like 5

I have seen a bin wagon set on fire before due to the blade in the back crushing lithium batteries.

The last time we flew to the Carribean it was on Dreamliner there were charging points on the seat backs cabin crew during the safety briefing mentioned if anything being charged became hot it had to be brought to their attention immediately 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I have seen a bin wagon set on fire before due to the blade in the back crushing lithium batteries.

The last time we flew to the Carribean it was on Dreamliner there were charging points on the seat backs cabin crew during the safety briefing mentioned if anything being charged became hot it had to be brought to their attention immediately 

And on the BA flights I've been on fairly recently, the crew are very careful to announce on the tannoy that if you lose your phone down the seat then don't go altering the seat position in an attempt to recover it (especially if you've got a leccy seat in Cub or First.....) presumably cos' the phone could get munched and damage the battery.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

I'm not a happy bunny as a post I just finished typing has mysteriously vanished into the ether when I pressed submit reply. If anyone finds it, please send it home.

Anyway, what I tried to post included the information that I've been talking to a friend who also flies model aircraft and when I mentioned LiPo battery fires he said that problems have arisen when people have cut the connectors off when rewiring battery packs. Apparently when cutting through the wires the knife blade, scissors, whatever, has touched both positive and negative and although only momentary that has been enough to cause the battery to catch fire.

I think I'll stick with clockwork!

Dave

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

4 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

What were they going to do with the overheating device? Throw it out of the window?

Well Monday draws to a close and I can only think one thing.

Where did it go?

I had a list of tasks.  Phone calls first.

Call 1. On hold for 48 minutes.

Check e mails for information needed for

Call 2: You are currently in position 54.  No thanks

Call 3. Abandoned due to a letter arriving making the call unnecessary but creating another job for later.

Take delivery of modelling goodies. Hide them away from prying eyes. (What these? Had them for ages my love. Just got them out of the back of the cupboard) This is the only modelling task I managed today

Eat lunch , what already?

Collect stuff from Mum's

Speak to brother about the ongoing tasks of sorting out mum's estate.

Book car in for tyre change  (winter to summer)

Collect Mrs SM42 from work and go shopping with her (she puts things in the trolley, I pay <_<)

Fill her car up (Held over from the other day, car running on fumes all morning)

Get a haircut

Dinner

Do that job that came from abandoning call 3. Which was in fact another phone call

Send off Mrs SM42's course work

Only one thing left now

BEER :danced:

Andy

Heading for the fridge

Edited by SM42
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Book car in for tyre change  (winter to summer)

We never had our summer tyres on the Fiesta fitted last year. We never went anywhere. The winter tyres could probably stay on this year too as I don’t see us going anywhere. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

7 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

We never had our summer tyres on the Fiesta fitted last year. We never went anywhere. The winter tyres could probably stay on this year too as I don’t see us going anywhere. 

They were very useful on the commute. 

I was able to use the white lane whilst everyone else sat in the queue in the black lane. 

Also helped when you're one of the first out early doors before the grit gets mixed in by traffic. 

Mine are fitted to a spare set of wheels and I can usually change them all over in 45 minutes  but my back isn't too good at the mo  so I'd rather pay the local tyre place a tenner to do it

Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

I don't think I've ever changed tyres over from summer to winter etc. and I've owned cars since 1966. Even when we lived in Germany and experienced some fairly severe winters I just had the same set of tyres on all year round. Mind you, I never tried to drive over the Alps or anything like that in winter either.

Dave 

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

20 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I've never changed the tyres on my cars according to season and there was never any mention of doing so in the service manuals?

I  didn't neither. 

But a Christmas trip to Poland and the fact that they are a legal requirement in Germany when it is wintery meant I had to invest. 

They were a revelation in a snowy Poznan. The amount of grip on snow covered roads was unbelievable.

They got me through the beast from the east and all the other snowy days we've had in the last 10 years. 

I've trundle by where others are stuck and whilst you still have to drive sensibly in the conditions, they give you a massive advantage.

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I never knew that winter tyres were a legal requirement in Germany. I lived there from 1970 to 1974 and 1977 to 1980 so maybe the legislation was introduced after that?

Dave 

I think it is a much more recent law. 

You either need  the tyres on or wait for the weather to improve. 

October to Easter is the general rule of thumb. Having said that there was snow in Poznan today. 

In  the past when I worked in central Brum the 4 wheel drivers would take the Gough St challenge. 

Gough St is around a  1:7

The challenge was to stop half way and apply the handbrake and then pull away again. 

I tried it  I didn't manage to pull away but didnt go sliding back down the hill either. The tyres were on their 4th year by then and with a new set I may have managed it.  

The brother in law reckons after 5 seasons you need to change them. 

On the bright  side your tyres last longer as they spend 6 months not being used

Andy

• Like 4