Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Neil - you need Paul Martin at EDM Models of York. He developed the Minerva Peckett sounds with Paul Chetter and is the authorised installer of this sound system - or he sells a DIY kit.

https://ngtrains.com/shop/product/minerva-peckett-dcc-kits-installs-and-decoders/

As the original loco worked in Swansea Docks, one of the functions includes the sounds of seagulls . . . . . . . . 

'fraid it has to remain silent for now, funds are depleted rather.  I was aware of the EDM chip though, and have several of Paul Chetter's in other models - he's the best in the business.  Legomanbiffo is good too, but not as good as Paul Chetter.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Funnily enough, the Bee Gees made a song about these creatures:

Shy Talkin'.

It refers to both the noise they make and their NATO identification/classification.

When I was on loan for a while to the Italian Air Force I once had a birdstrike, which made a bit of a mess of one of the drop tanks. After I'd landed and walked back in to the crewroom the civvy who had the job of trying to control the bird population on and around the airfield came to see me. Showing me a couple of obviously seagull feathers he said, "You hit a, er, don't know what it's called in English but in Italian we say 'sh!tehawk' ". I laughed and assured him that I understood perfectly.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

One and the same aircraft. A few years after it was used as a camera ship in the film it was restored to wartime condition and IIRC is now in Germany.

Wasn't it one of the aircraft used in Catch 22?

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

No problem allowed my mate Chris to make things like this from the left-overs!

3.jpg.c388fc95dcaae6a809af145051057797.jpg

I see from the structure at the left-hand side in the background that he's also working on putting the first vacuum cleaner into space.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 13

I went into the local library here in Nelson to enquire about buying a copy of a historic photograph they hold, and found they currently had an exhibition on the arrival of railways in the area in the late 19th century. Small, but very interesting.

I liked this exhibit - signatures of everyone (crew and passengers) on the last scheduled passenger train into Nelson.

C1A743E6-424B-4A50-91B5-89573201602D.jpeg.9715f39a5bfd7b808bdf16b5dfd53737.jpeg

5D5420DE-8F90-4646-B283-3583B585AB04.jpeg.9c3e450cf7582c95257ac490b6aefaa6.jpeg

That was in 1964, and it was made up of two CPR Budd cars (‘Dayliners’). The car numbers are in the top right hand corner of the signature sheet.

Edited by pH
Predictive text 😠
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I see from the structure at the left-hand side in the background that he's also working on putting the first vacuum cleaner into space.

Dave

Bear thought it was a part of the vacuum braking system.....

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear thought it was a part of the vacuum braking system.....

Poor Henry, he gets some flak - well the drop tank might have seen real flak......

That is actually the same nose as on the completed car - 'Lakester' class, for Bonneville.  Chris is, of course, mad. It's geared for over 200.  Suspension designed by a guy who works for Williams.  All built by Chris in his shed. 215bhp from 600cc. Bonkers.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Chris is, of course, mad. It's geared for over 200.  Suspension designed by a guy who works for Williams.  All built by Chris in his shed. 215bhp from 600cc. Bonkers.

Sounds about right for something built on the Rock.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Sounds about right for something built on the Rock.

Dave

I'd arrange a go for you, it should be right up your street, but IIRC you're tall - Chris is the opposite of tall, and it's built around him!  I can't get in it 5'10''

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

When I was on loan for a while to the Italian Air Force I once had a birdstrike, which made a bit of a mess of one of the drop tanks. After I'd landed and walked back in to the crewroom the civvy who had the job of trying to control the bird population on and around the airfield came to see me. Showing me a couple of obviously seagull feathers he said, "You hit a, er, don't know what it's called in English but in Italian we say 'sh!tehawk' ". I laughed and assured him that I understood perfectly.

Dave

Some of our senior officers used to be known as butterflies as they never stayed very long before heading up the greasy pole in another force. I suggested that they should actually be called seagulls as us poor s0ds had to clearvup the mess they left behind.

Jamie

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, polybear said:

But you're a Hippo - could that be a clue?

What, another one?? I thought HH was enough!

Dave

Oh, and while I'm here, belated congrats and happy day to Ian.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Just reading on the BBC website that a B17 and P-63 have collided in mid-air at a show near Dallas. Casualties not yet known. 

If the video is anything to go by then it's not a good day for those on board; apparently there were no injuries on the ground.  It looks to this Bear as though the P-63 Pilot screwed up, though video can be deceptive.

11 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

What, another one?? I thought HH was enough!

Oops....Bear screwed up, amazingly - OP deleted.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Just reading on the BBC website that a B17 and P-63 have collided in mid-air at a show near Dallas. Casualties not yet known. 

34 minutes ago, polybear said:

If the video is anything to go by then it's not a good day for those on board; apparently there were no injuries on the ground.  It looks to this Bear as though the P-63 Pilot screwed up, though video can be deceptive.

Doesn't look good at all. The P63 pilot broke away from a formation of three according to some reports.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/reports-of-plane-crash-during-air-show-at-dallas-executive-airport/3123720/

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Doesn't look good at all. The P63 pilot broke away from a formation of three according to some reports.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/reports-of-plane-crash-during-air-show-at-dallas-executive-airport/3123720/

The gormless plonker who reported it for the Daily Express stated the crews were too low to use their ejector seats.

From which planet do they get the plankton that masquerade as journalists these days?

Edited by Happy Hippo
punctureation and spelingg
  • Agree 9

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

I thinkthe B17 was Sentimental Journey. It was here a few years ago.

DSCN4559.JPG.4d649b29f4318d8bbaecfeca3cea2f68.JPG

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The gormless plonker who reported it for the Daily Express stated the crews were too low to use their ejector seats.

From which planet do they get the plankton that masquerade as journalists these days?

Well it is the Daily Excess.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, newbryford said:

It's certainly a slippery slope at times.........

All railway modelling is: Very slippery.

As a matter of interest, is there any progress across the pond in Bryford County?

Inside the Hippodrome, certain aspects of scenic work have stalled at Pantmawr North due to a large delivery of procrastination.

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

A chance discovery was made today.  A Christmas  Fair in Néré.  It wouldvhave been rude not to have called in.  It would have been even ruder not yo buy sonevof the lovely cake that was on sale and then have a piece of another lovely sponge cake with our coffee.  It's a hard life.

Jamie

• Like 13