RMweb

The Night Mail

11 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Regardless of the song content, the reality of the ban is  it is a sure fire way to get supporters back up and ensure it is sung louder and with more vigour.

Along that lines, I once read that an eminent Irishman, learning about Eire’s government’s unhappiness at the poor take up of Gaelic by the populace, simply observed that if the government really wanted the Irish to speak Gaelic, they’d just need to ban it….

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

As Brian says, we Grangetown folk always referred to that area east of the Clarence Bridge as 'The Docks'.  Tiger Bay only really gaining cult status after the 1959 film of the same name.

I did a quick check back on Wiki, and Tiger Bay is a term used by the merchant marine for any dodgy parts of a port wherever they are in the world.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Why did I just know that my accent would appear in that video.....yer knaa. 😂

At least Baz, BoD and I can understand each other, all being from the north-east if not Geordies proper.  And that definition is a whole different sack of coal. 😲

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Poor old Tom Jones, I always thought Delilah was a tragic song about love turned sour, I never got any impression it was an instruction on what men should do to women, but I may have missed something.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Poor old Tom Jones, I always thought Delilah was a tragic song about love turned sour, I never got any impression it was an instruction on what men should do to women, but I may have missed something.

I think that this is the problem with a lot of popular songs.  They are great until the  Islington wokerati and their friends of the liberal left decide to do an in depth analysis of something.

I don't think the song Delilah inspires women beaters to go home and carry out an assault on their wives or partners because they sang the song at half time.  more likely it was the consumption of 8 or 9 pints of special brew on their way home after the match. 

• Agree 13

I always got the impression that the song was about a man who had cracked after years in  a relationship in which he was the one being emotionally abused by the  eponymous female.

Does it promote misogyny? 

I think you could argue both ways depending on your confirmation  bias. 

Ultimately I think it is a song about an abusive relationship and how that can lead to tragic consequences.  

Of course it could just have  one of those unexpected  dramatic twists at the end that is there purely to sell the song.

( tragic unexpected ends and death of one partner seemed to be in vogue at one time)

A twist that has become less about drama  and more about something unpleasant  as societal attitudes have changed over time and is no longer seen as  a plot twist, but a manual for violence against women.

I always used to wonder if the name of the protagonist was chosen  because of the biblical story of a woman who ultimately broke the man who loved her. 

Andy

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

My Aunt taught SB at Splotlands Girls Secondary Modern School.

My mother assisted at one school Christmas Party and SB, still in school sang. One of the staff remarked that "We have the nwxt Gracie Fields". Apparently SB replied "No, I'm going to be the first Shirley Bassey".

Edited by Danemouth
Spelling
  • Like 11

9 hours ago, The Johnster said:

That said, I’ve always admired Tom Jones for being lifelong faithful to his missus, no mean feat in that business…

I think it depends on how you define being faithful 😀.  He certainly stayed married to her, and clearly loved her.   

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

There is yet another click-to-close, pop-up ad each time a new page is loaded. (This is in addition to the previous floating pop-up video player that appears after you scroll past the first post on a page.)

Bear is rapidly going off TMC.....

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

I think that this is the problem with a lot of popular songs.  They are great until the  Islington wokerati and their friends of the liberal left decide to do an in depth analysis of something.

Bear has it on good authority that "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" is next on the list - apparently it promotes:

Breaking & Entering

Trespass

Criminal Damage

Theft

Animal Cruelty

and Child Abuse.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

Indeed.

Just look what they did to poor old Thomas The Tank Engine:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/22/thomas-the-tank-engine-children-parents

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/jul/04/tyrannical-world-thomas-the-tank-engine

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/rabbit-holes/the-repressive-authoritarian-soul-of-thomas-the-tank-engine-and-friends

The problem is with above (and much else besides) is that the Islington "Wokerati" are so "de trop" that they alienate people from considering different points of view from that part of the political spectrum.

Let's put it this way - it's hard to have a rationale discussion with someone of different political views when meaningful and respectful conversation is being drowned out by the modern day equivalent of the sort of people who used to write to newspapers in green crayon....

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Danemouth said:

My Aunt taught SB at Splotlands Girls Secondary Modern School.

My mother assisted at one school Christmas Party and SB, still in school sang. One of the staff remarked that "We have the nwxt Gracie Fields". Apparently SB replied "No, I'm going to be the first Shirley Bassey".

Well they say start young if you want to get ahead.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't be overly surprised to see a re-run of the Salem witch trials.

I find it vaguely comical (albeit sinister) just how alike the left and right of politics are today. 

Both are pushing the same fundamental policies and playing up emotive trigger issues to create an illusion of choice.

Or maybe I am just cynical and jaded.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

12 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Indeed.

Just look what they did to poor old Thomas The Tank Engine:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/22/thomas-the-tank-engine-children-parents

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/jul/04/tyrannical-world-thomas-the-tank-engine

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/rabbit-holes/the-repressive-authoritarian-soul-of-thomas-the-tank-engine-and-friends

The problem is with above (and much else besides) is that the Islington "Wokerati" are so "de trop" that they alienate people from considering different points of view from that part of the political spectrum.

Let's put it this way - it's hard to have a rationale discussion with someone of different political views when meaningful and respectful conversation is being drowned out by the modern day equivalent of the sort of people who used to write to newspapers in green crayon....

I used to use purple I'll have you know. So much prettier than green.

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

On a completely different track, I was asked if I knew how to create instructional videos:  You've probably seen them on the likes of You tube.

I am well versed with preparing lesson plans and methods of instruction, so  the physical structure is not a problem.  where I will admit to total ignorance is what sort of camera I should be using.  Is there a preferred editing suite and how does one overlay captions speech, music etc.

I'm not sure it's all possible on my smart phone.

At present I have access to a Go Pro Camera and various tripods and clamps, but that's it.

Any suggestions?

The query sparked an interest as I could then make up both shooting training videos and model railway stuff:  Not just film of the railway, but how to clips as well.

I could even film myself shooting trains! 

'Why is there a hole in the side of Horace's Deltic?

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

On a completely different track, I was asked if I knew how to create instructional videos:  You've probably seen them on the likes of You tube.

I am well versed with preparing lesson plans and methods of instruction, so  the physical structure is not a problem.  where I will admit to total ignorance is what sort of camera I should be using.  Is there a preferred editing suite and how does one overlay captions speech, music etc.

At present I have access to a Go Pro Camera and various tripods and clamps, but that's it.

Any suggestions?

The query sparked an interest as I could then make up both shooting training videos and model railway stuff:  Not just film of the railway, but how to clips as well.

I don't think the camera is too much of an issue as long as it has sufficient resolution. The sound is the tricky bit. You might need to get a condenser mike and do some things to manage acoustics.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Any suggestions?

What an illuminating idea.....

I'm sure someone could suggest a topic that could light up someone else's day.

Maybe you have a friend that needs help making videos?

Edited by newbryford
typo
  • Funny 8

19 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I would think your biggest problem is holding the camera still whilst DH throws the Camel about while trying to get a bead on the train. 

You'll need one hand for the camera, one to hold on so you don't fall out and have go take to the silk and another to let fly with the Gatling  at the passing Deltic

Lima collectors club members look away now

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I would think your biggest problem is holding the camera still whilst DH throws the Camel about while trying to get a bead on the train. 

I think I know what is being described here but nevertheless I'm suffering from some confusing mental images of Hunt wrestling with a dromedary. I tried googling "camel throwing". The options are threefold:

1. being thrown off the back of a camel one is attempting to ride;
  2. using a camel-coloured throw on one's sofa; or
  3. treating a camel for vomiting.
Edited by Compound2632
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

That reminds me of the time we were doing a photo shoot from a Gazelle, 5000 feet over Detmold.

Officially it was a parachute display for the 4 Regt ACC open day.

Three of us climbed out  and stood on the  left hand skid of the Gazelle, and at the allotted exit point, which had been put into the nav system after we'd done our wind drift run, the pilot gave us the thumbs up, and we all stepped off simultaneously.

Later on the ground we were chatting to him:  It was the first time he'd dropped parachutists as a multiple.

On the run in, our weight shift out onto the skid had forced him to apply ever more right pressure on the cyclic control, until when we were all out, it wouldn't go any further over.

The sudden weight and balance change when we departed downwards threw the Gazelle almost onto it's side, which was a bit of a Wow moment for the budding Biggles.

We never had any issues with loading a Chinook tailgate, due to it being a twin rotor design but the CH53 Sea Stallion had a limit of 8-10 depending on the Loadmaster's assessment of how heavy we were, so as to keep the aircraft in balance.  The last thing you wanted was the arse end lifting up very rapidly and getting clipped by the main rotor blades.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

Any suggestions?

Perhaps you could start up with prequels to the unboxing genre so popular with railway modellers (allegedly). A series on “how I got 42 O gauge locos delivered stealthily” Part one, “an accidental visit to Chirk”. 

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Perhaps you could start up with prequels to the unboxing genre so popular with railway modellers (allegedly). A series on “how I got 42 O gauge locos delivered stealthily” Part one, “an accidental visit to Chirk”. 

Or maybe "Pannier addiction, the modeller's curse. A warning from history"

Dave

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

I don't think the camera is too much of an issue as long as it has sufficient resolution. The sound is the tricky bit. You might need to get a condenser mike and do some things to manage acoustics.

Absolutely agree. Poor sound blights so many what could be useful videos. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2