RMweb

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Willie Whizz said:

detect the difference between a Russian ballistic missile submarine’s engine and a sea urchin farting during lovemaking. 

Not easy, as I understand the sea urchin puts even a Hippo's tail twirl to shame.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

My back seems to be worse today, so I think I'll avoid clambering up into the garage roof to do some rearranging of the storage space.

I'd hate to get stuck up there if I were to seize up.

How would I call for help?.

My only distress signal would be an enforced emergency tail twirl, which might blow off the roof!

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Commiserations on the back trouble HH from one who knows only too well how excruciating it can be. As one doctor said to me, the trouble with the ‘bad back’ is that it isn't something that can be seen from outside, it has the reputation of being used as an excuse by malingerers for not working, many people think of it as merely a bit of backache, and it is often seen as something amusing by those who have never experienced it. 

Dave

• Agree 12

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, AndyID said:

Very clever, not to mention retrospectively cynical. The USN had no means to corroborate that the apparent implosion was the sub until it had hard evidence. If they had said they had heard a "pop" and it turned out to be caused be something else that would have been even worse. The "banging" they heard was likely unrelated.

So, given the information that they had, how would you have released it?

If the USN didn't release the "apparent explosion" information until they had hard evidence then why not treat the "banging" in the same manner, i.e. wait until they had hard evidence that it was coming from the sub before releasing it?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

3 minutes ago, polybear said:

If the USN didn't release the "apparent explosion" information until they had hard evidence then why not treat the "banging" in the same manner, i.e. wait until they had hard evidence that it was coming from the sub before releasing it?

Presumably, to keep hope alive and shut those people up who question the vast resources being used to try and rescue the crew. Remember that the company owner was Tweeting criticism of the government agencies for not moving fast enough. Odd, as some time ago, he'd been criticising them for trying to apply safety rules to his sub...

• Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 12

4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Good moaning g from the Charente.  Yes as Ian has said a reset grand day out was had yesterday.Andy and I had our annual expedition to Saint Pierre des Corps, which is an I dustrial suburb of Tours.  It consists of a vast complex of railway yards and associated industry, a few houses and the main line station on the Paris to Bordeaux line.  It has a large SNCF works and two lndependent loco works, one of which builds industrial Locos.  Ian had a book to return to me, railway related by some mischance, saomeet up was organised.  After first buying some food on the station, we set offbycar to see what was aroundmany, ocos were see and thetnenn. Retardation workshop was found. Apparently built by the British in 1946 and alit's dimensions and fixings are imperial.  The roof supports are 8 x 8 timber pillars.  Much amusement was had trying explain feet and inches.  However it was an unexpected bonus.  Piccys will appear on my Moves at Limoges thread in due course.  We then dropped Iaback at the station and watched an

Few trains before spend g the last 3 hours up on my favourite bridge watching more trains in the sunshine.  I even managed not to trip up this time so no blood was spilt and I survived unscathed.  

Jamie

Curiously, at least some of Eurotunnel's service stock was branded 'Gare d'attache; St Pierre de Corps', though it carried a UIC owning railway code of 69.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 minutes ago, polybear said:

10 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Presumably, to keep hope alive and shut those people up who question the vast resources being used to try and rescue the crew. Remember that the company owner was Tweeting criticism of the government agencies for not moving fast enough. Odd, as some time ago, he'd been criticising them for trying to apply safety rules to his sub...

James Cameron stated this morning he knew deep down what had happened but did not say anything until it was confirmed.  The USN would have taken the same course of action, until an ROV had evidence of destruction then you have to remain as positive as possible.

That I believe would be true of any rescue mission, you act on the hard evidence presented to you whilst remaining wary that the worst has most likely happened.  They prepared for a rescue just in case the craft was found on the surface, until that ROV was on site they had no means to look at the sea bed and confirm what they probably suspected, let alone plan a recovery from that depth by which time any air would have run out.  That might explain the delay to the UK team going out, it would be required for recovery only.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Curiously, at least some of Eurotunnel's service stock was branded 'Gare d'attache; St Pierre de Corps', though it carried a UIC owning railway code of 69.

I think that Socofer, which is one of the two loco companies on the south side of the yard, have just built some more Locos for Eurotunnel though if my memory is correct they were much delayed. I may have some photos of them from last year. I might also be putting g 2

And 2 together to make seven. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 6

35 minutes ago, polybear said:

There probably WERE "banging noises" detected. The sea is full of strange noises and there is a huge wreck undergoing long-term deterioration, quite close at hand. 

• Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Certainly. Here is the wagon doing its job.

Dave

EA519000-3A06-4A7B-A067-E3C28061F73D.jpeg.e3acf6398e6ee5a6174ea3ac27e6ff35.jpeg

402DBAC2-6131-44E9-8E90-023F9649249C.jpeg.1957dde25f75fe2c105b3ef3e8da7ac3.jpeg

Thanks Dave; you're a rather clever little devil on the quiet, aren't you?  🤣

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting:

"The UK naval source said the UK Foreign Office had been in regular contact with the victims’ families, who “might have been told different” to what was said to the world’s media.

The source added: “I would like to say that the family’s expectations were managed accordingly.”

From here:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/uk-and-us-detected-implosion-sounds-of-missing-titanic-sub-days-ago-but-information-was-classified/ar-AA1cVIuR?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=e2aa68acba6442e6a438b6a9be85193b&ei=22

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

Seeing the Hello Kitty train reminded me of EVA AIR as several of their aircraft have featured Hello Kitty and other Sanrio characters. Hello Kitty is a big brand in Japan and the Far East but less well known here.

DSCN6208.JPG

DSCN4682.JPG

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, rockershovel said:

There probably WERE "banging noises" detected. The sea is full of strange noises and there is a huge wreck undergoing long-term deterioration, quite close at hand. 

The "banging" might have been triggered by the remains of a crushed submersible impacting the seabed in the vicinity of the wreck.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

4 minutes ago, SM42 said:

It's the end of civilisation as we know it. 

The Postman is wearing long trousers 😯

Andy

I remember when our postman used to wear a proper uniform jacket, long trousers, polished boots and a peaked uniform cap.  THAT was civilisation, we're in the End Days now...

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

19 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

...  That just leaves the decorating to do (thinks- since it’s mainly painting I wonder if Polish Andy is busy?) ...

I've still got the servant's quarters and kitchen to paint and then I can start on the upper floors. 

I also have a small job in the motherland to fit in. 

Did I mention the fences?

I might even get some models painted too

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, SM42 said:

It's the end of civilisation as we know it. 

The Postman is wearing long trousers 😯

Andy

The Boss of the local Garage (now sold, sadly) would always be seen wearing Footie Shorts, pretty much 365 days a year; if he was ever in long strides** it'd make the BBC 10pm News.....

(**At which point everyone in the village would know it was proper cold).

• Like 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Farang said:

Seeing the Hello Kitty train reminded me of EVA AIR as several of their aircraft have featured Hello Kitty and other Sanrio characters. Hello Kitty is a big brand in Japan and the Far East but less well known here.

DSCN6208.JPG

DSCN4682.JPG

Quite a big following of Hello Kitty in the UK from little girls:  My eldest granddaughter is one of them.

I have decided that since the sun has disappeared then it's drink o'clock time.

This will be purely for medicinal purposes.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Quite a big following of Hello Kitty in the UK from little girls:  My eldest granddaughter is one of them.

Can't say I've seen a "Hello Hippo" brand...

Maybe a new business venture?

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I think that Socofer, which is one of the two loco companies on the south side of the yard, have just built some more Locos for Eurotunnel though if my memory is correct they were much delayed. I may have some photos of them from last year. I might also be putting g 2

And 2 together to make seven. 

Jamie

Socofer rings a bell; I think these may be the battery-electrics  for use within work-zones. Having been off sick, then retired, I'm rather out-of-touch with the place. Going over on Tuesday will be the first time I've used my priv tickets since 2018

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

When Matthew was travelling in Singapore he had a Hello Kitty themed bus pass. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1