Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

24 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

I commuted through Kings X for a  number of years and had I finished work a bit earlier, could well have been involved in the fire. I passed through London last week and still get a tingle passing through the old Rotunda... I especially remember it being re-opened to traffic far too early, stinking of smoke and with black marks clearly visible. 

I had planned to spend a day in London on a certain July 7th, but couldn't be bothered to get out of bed for the early train so postponed my trip

I would have arrived at about the time the terrible events of that day unfolded. 

Andy

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Friendly/supportive 5

15 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

There was a rugby match in Cardiff this afternoon:

Wales versus England.

Did anyone watch it and what was the final score please.

Asking for a friend

Something happened. Don't know about it being a rugby match.

Tell your friend to find something more productive to do with his time. 

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Something happened. Don't know about it being a rugby match.

Tell your friend to find something more productive to do with his time. 

Nothing is more productive than working on a model railway

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

7 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Nothing is more productive than working on a model railway

That reminds of those adverts that state nothing is better at fighting pain, getting the dishes clean or whatever than Super Zippy Washacetamol

OK.

I'll buy nothing instead of your overpriced , overhyped product.  

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

England are now World Netball Champions, a sport which involves not dropping the ball and knowing where your team-mates are before passing to them. 

We might have a coaching job for those ladies...

Not yet - though they're in tomorrow's Final - against some bunch called Oz apparently......

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

There was a rugby match in Cardiff this afternoon:

Wales versus England.

Did anyone watch it and what was the final score please.

Asking for a friend

Let's just say it was WALES ENGLAND

Dave

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Not yet - though they're in tomorrow's Final - against some bunch called Oz apparently......

Oh. Fair enough. I wasn't paying much attention and from the general celebration and that they had beaten NZ I rather assumed they had won...  

Let's hope 2019 doesn't repeat itself! 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening Campers!

Apologies for not reading the past 12 pages or so.

Devon has been visited - it was wet.

Not much golf was played, but there was plenty to do indoors - including a bit of air rifle/pistol shooting.

I'm sure the scores would be a little better with a bit of practice (and fine tuning of the sights).

But the scores were high enough for me to win the daily competitions.

364177611_117014418143691_5647182412226075132_n.jpg.ec91e22c0b7eb8374d54ab4f742e19f9.jpg

Junior NB came home [*] for 12 days to join me and Mrs NB on the trip south.

A couple of weeks before we set off, I was talking to my middle brother and it transpired that he was in Devon - travelling there and back on the same days that we had planned.

There was mention of a possible meet up but unlikely as they were about an hour and half away and like ourselves, they had a busy itinerary planned.

Never gave it another thought and set off home on Thursday - pulling in at Gloucester services on the M5 and who was walking out - my bro and SIL. 

[*] Junior is currently on a two year contract in Dubai - having only started in March and she's already calling it "home" there. The next time we'll probably see her is Christmas. 

Golf has been played at home yesterday and today.

Yesterday evening saw me progress to the Senior singles final for the first time.

The weather was kind, but it was very wet underfoot from the past few days rain.

Today saw an "alright"" score for me, that would normally earn a place between 10-15, but it looks like most others had a bad day with the heavy going and I've managed a second place!

Leyland MR Ex will be visited tomorrow.

Have a good rest of the weekend folks!

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 1

Rain here and has been since about 1pm

Forecast is more rain. 

Cycling cancelled 

Off to Elblag tomorrow where it is windy as well as wet. 

We may have to find things to do that don't need an umbrella.

Maybe a trip on a train 

We'll see.

Already have a meet up half planned with a work colleague who is currently  in Gdansk. 

Andy

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Rain here and has been since about 1pm

Forecast is more rain. 

Cycling cancelled 

Off to Elblag tomorrow where it is windy as well as wet. 

We may have to find things to do that don't need an umbrella.

Maybe a trip on a train 

We'll see.

Already have a meet up half planned with a work colleague who is currently  in Gdansk. 

Andy

Looks like that rain is headed this way now. It might actually be wet here tomorrow. Be great if it is. The whole place is very dry and it needs a good soaking. We get a bit nervous when it's dry for a long time. This is the view from my shed.

DSCN6032.JPG.264f9df798c1f725a73941bcb2d50c2e.JPG

When firs like those catch fire they go up like Roman Candles. You can just about see the only road into our little community. Most likely we could get to the main road on foot. If all else fails we would have to head for the lake.

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, SM42 said:

The car has decided to throw up a fault light indicating all is not well with emissions control. 

It has gone away again but the cooling fan runs on when the engine is turned off and the temp gauge is still in the normal range. 

I suspect a dodgy sensor somewhere.

Andy

Our motorhome gave us a fault light on our last trip west. The second garage we went to put the diagnoser on and there was some problem with the "downstream emissions" but they couldn't fix it. They felt it would last until our next big stop (2 days later). We camped for 2 weeks and then went to a garage. It seems that the wires for the sensor after the converter had been lying on the exhaust pipes and melted through. They fixed it.

My real worry is always, what happens if another, more serious fault happens and we don't know because the light is already on?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold

There are blue skies here as well.

The lower cloud layer appears to be blowing in from the North West which should clear the cloud off.  It's certaily clear to the South West at present.

Nyda will finish off cleaning the front drive this morning.

I will observe from a safe distance: Inside the garage working on the railway seems a good plan.

I need to make and fit the last pilaster for the bridge which I'm trying to get finished today.

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

Dry with sunny spells.  The seaweedmongers say it should be heavy rain, with thunder expected in the next hour...

Edited by Hroth
a bit of punctuation...
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

It has just rained over the house....

Literally!

The paths around the veg beds at the top of the garden are dry, as is the road to the front of the Hippodrome, but the rest got a very short sharp drenching.

I was not manning a hose pipe, neither did I dive into the pond.

Most bizarre.

• Like 12
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

The puncture is on the edge of the tread/sidewall, so I will play safe and buy new. In theory I should have to buy a pair, but the tyre is very new, so he is happy to supply a single. 

In the UK, any reputable garage/tyremonger would refuse to repair the tyre.

'A tyre can only be repaired if it is a small puncture (less than 6mm in diameter) in the central ¾ of the tyre'. 

• Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 4