Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

I just had another thought.

Does this mean that if we peel back the skin of our forehead, we can locate our HSIN?  (H. Sapiens Identification Number)

Its not a handy place to put it!

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Presumably the denizens of Telfland have barcodes as they spend so much time behind them (bars that is)

And looking through them while the sun shines.

• Funny 6

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Or born in the USA. 90% of white males are.

Come to think of it I saw a urologist recently who said he could fix that PDQ. I politely declined 😮

• Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Or born in the USA. 90% of white males are.

90% of white males are born in the USA?

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

I had another message about the Cincinnati hippos. Apparently “Tucker” is now swimming with fishes. Tilapia to be precise. Though I think he probably isn’t really swimming but elegantly bouncing off the bottom of the pool.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I had another message about the Cincinnati hippos. Apparently “Tucker” is now swimming with fishes. 

Reading that it makes it sound as if someone from the Colombian Hippo mob has got to him!

After the disappointment over the LST results, I indulged in some therapy.

The first was a visit to the BRMC workshop day, where I was lucky enough to meet up with Coastal View.

He should have stayed a little longer, as shortly after his departure, and just as I was about to leave, Richard Webster turned up with a new loco EP from Dapol.

Oh it is lovely, will appeal to a lot of modellers, and, having taken the oath, can say no more:  Well, I can say it's not a Swindon product, but I will be looking to get one when they are eventually released.

Suitably buoyed up, I then visited Lidl and bought a pair of their mini workmate clones.  The pair were less than the cost of a single accessory stand which I will need for both the new table say and the bench planer; even less with the £10 voucher Lidl had given me.

I now need to make some ply bases for the machines so then can be clamped into place when needed.  When the saw and planer is not in use, they can be removed, and the clone(s) redeployed to other duties.  I suppose I could even make a baseboard style worktable that can be clamped in place for the bigger jobs?

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Applied online for a new passport last Tuesday. Amazed when said passport turned up with Royal Mail today. 

The passport office web site says typical turn around is three weeks which I thought might be a bit optimistic so getting it in just over a week was rather impressive. 

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

Further to the above, it reminds me of the old lady who went to the Mohel, and asked for all the redundant skin.

'I'm going to stitch them together and make a purse' she told the Mohel.

'It would be very high quality and soft to the touch' he replied.

'Oh it's better than that' shrilled the old lady.  'When I rub it, the purse will turn into a suitcase....'

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, coastalview said:

Applied online for a new passport last Tuesday. Amazed when said passport turned up with Royal Mail today. 

The passport office web site says typical turn around is three weeks which I thought might be a bit optimistic so getting it in just over a week was rather impressive. 

Same with driving licences I applied last Thursday, it arrived Monday Morning, only got 4 years life on it though...  must be really annoying to have to apply at full fee for a new licence at 69 3/4

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, TheQ said:

Same with driving licences I applied last Thursday, it arrived Monday Morning, only got 4 years life on it though...  must be really annoying to have to apply at full fee for a new licence at 69 3/4

Try turning 70 when living abroad! DVLA wouldn't want to know, of course, so a local licence is needed. I think I applied in July, got a first communication back on Boxing Day, 6 weeks after the old licence had expired! 

• Friendly/supportive 11

Greetings All,

Back from Blighty following a most enjoyable business/pleasure long weekend. And boy has London become expensive: a hotel room for 4 nights that cost me about £600 last May, will now cost £1200! this coming May. (Same room type same hotel).

Digression aside, I flew home LCY - ZRH which despite a delayed take-off thanks to a robust tailwind got the plane to ZRH on time. My rail journey home was via Olten, necessitating a platform change (simple enough) and awaiting me was a DB ICE-4 (these are used for routes from Germany to Switzerland). It was almost as bad as a Southern Class 377, apart from DB’s current problems (https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/oct/14/its-the-same-daily-misery-germanys-terrible-trains-are-no-joke-for-a-nation-built-on-efficiency) on the (relatively new) ICE-4 the seats (even in 1st class) were hideously uncomfortable and some didn’t even align with the windows. The trainset was designed and built by Siemens and also subcontracted to Bombardier/Alstom (which may explain a thing or two).

But at least it was on time!

Why is it, I wonder, that BREL (and their SNCF, DB, FS and SBB counterparts) could design such comfortable and long lasting carriages and rolling stock, yet their modern replacements - Stadler, Siemens, Alstom etc. - produce rolling stock where the best you can hope for is “somewhat uncomfortable”  I don’t think it’s money (the entire ICE-4 order was worth about €6 billion [Wiki]), any ideas, guys?

High standards of safety built into such train-sets is vitally important, but to what end if nobody wants to ride them?

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, coastalview said:

The last time I renewed my passport a few years ago the quoted turnround time was twelve weeks but in the event I received it in less than three. I wonder if they routinely quote pessimistically to try to minimise the number of complaints they get?

Dave

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, coastalview said:

The way OFCOM are currently talking, Royal Mail will be able to deliver mail whenever they feel like it.

Or even if they feel like doing a delivery run...

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Some minor excitement at SM42 Towers. 

We have been overfliwn by the air ambulance which is now sat on the green outside the pub  about 300 yards away. 

Not sure what is going on beyond a medical emergency  but it arrived about 2 minutes before the first paramedic vehicle. 

Hopefully it will all turn out OK for whoever needs it. 

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

Shock Horror!

I managed to clear the top of the little workbench in the garage for the first time in  a long time.

The same happened to the tool bench along side it.

Of course, I now have to sort through the stuff that was removed and piled on the table🤣

• Like 6
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Moving piles of stuff and making them into neater piles elsewhere is a regular activity at SM42 Towers. 

Andy

But are they smaller piles, as the detritus between the useful stuff is disposed of with great ceremony?

• Like 7
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SM42 said:

Moving piles of stuff and making them into neater piles elsewhere is a regular activity at SM42 Towers. 

Andy

That was why we moved to a larger house. 

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Reading that it makes it sound as if someone from the Colombian Hippo mob has got to him!

No, fear not, Tucker the hippo is alive and well and according to the Zoo is in a symbiotic relationship with with the tilapia. They eat his poo and clean dead skin from his body. I am not sure what the tilapia I was served in the US had been eating but it tasted very bland.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3